advertisement

What’s your favourite tonearm?

I’ve had a Schroeder Reference for a couple of years now, cracking arm, the Aro is relegated to a second system with the other leftovers. The RB300 has been idle for a decade.

No mention of a certain American 3D printed arm?

Not heard it but reviews have been good

gi.mpl

I was an early adopter of the VPI 3D printed tonearm, having been very curious about the capabilities of the technology. The Dyna Karat liked the arm but I found that my favourite cartridges (47 Labs, Koetsu) perform better mounted to one of VPI's metal armwands and so have returned to the older technology. The dynamic capabilities of a 47 Labs mounted to a VPI, 10" metal unipivot have to be heard to be believed....Klipsch on the back end!

gi.mpl

I've only ever experimented with a handful of tonearms. VPI's unipivots may not be quite 'state of the art', but they are decent value, especially the JMW-9. I also really appreciate, and take full advantage of the armwand quick-swap capabilities.

gi.mpl

Not had that much experience with tonearms , I have a TW 10.5 Raven arm to play mono recordings via a Convergence Phono and a 12 " Read 3p for stereo vinyl via Whest Reference,mono phono stages.
Rega 250 and 300 great value arms a SME V, wonderful design and workmanship but to me sounds bland , also a Benesch Act2

ACOS (Koshin Denki) Lustre ST-610 Cardas rewired. Don’t know what all that means but it works for me. Nice lively competent character. Just wish the cue device worked, its a bit all over the place. I’m not sure it has any bias adjustment.

Looks a bit like the old RB200 before Rega introduced their own designs.

I think my tonearm list goes like

Rega 250, 300 - several of each including stock, rewired and counterweight upgrades
Michel Tecnoarm
Jelco SA-250ST, SA375H, SA-750D, SA750L and an Ortofon derivative AS212s
Project Carbon 9cc
ADC LMF-1
Various Lenco efforts
Notts Analogue Spacearm
Linn Basic Plus, Akito, Ittok
Naim Aro
SME IV
Fidelity Research FR64s and FR64fx
Graham Phantom B44

As you can see I've been through loads of arms over the years and still have quite a few of these boxed up around here. In the budget arena I settled on preferring the Jelco range (like the SA-750D to anything Rega or Linn based (up to Ittok, didn't ever try the Ekos).

Higher end I loved an SME IV for many years on a PTA and an Aro on an LP12 went rather well too but what I finally settled on (and have been settled on for almost 5 years now) is a Graham Phantom and an FR64s (for SPU duties) on a TWA Raven AC3. I did have 4-arms on this monster at one point. Silly.

I did learn over the years however that tonearm-cartridge matching is critical to overall performance and it's worth learning the maths involved and building your own spreadsheets up to calculate this sort of thing.

There are still a lot of arms I'd really like to try still but getting armboards made is a bit of a pain. I have an armboard ready for a Triplanar so I fancy a go on one of those at some point, otherwise I've always been curious about some of the Japanese superarms from the likes of Audiocraft, Ikeda and SAEC and others beauties like Breuer, Reed, Thales and Moerch. There are so many superbly engineered tonearms out there!

Not had that much experience with tonearms , I have a TW 10.5 Raven arm to play mono recordings via a Convergence Phono and a 12 " Read 3p for stereo vinyl via Whest Reference,mono phono stages.

So you've added a REED 12" to your AC, Tony. Also the Tron (presumably because your Whest had one set of inputs). You've been busy ! Wonder if you've swapped around and which mono cart. you have in the 10.5. Our local dealer likes the Reed, and I must say both models are lovely pieces of work. D'you still have the Titan i ?

I have had the Reed for two or thee years , I suspect the local dealer likes the Reed because I told him about them. I only have a cheap audio technics (about £250) mono cartridge because my collection does not justify greater expenditure. A separate Mono cartridge is a great asset though. Still using Lyra it suits my system very well. I am settled with my hi-fi although I sometimes do a bit of valve rolling for my Einstein pre-amp.

My system was transformed when I purchased a regenerator, chalk and cheese from when you heard it.

ps ...I use Reid, Reed and Read! ( but get it wrong about a third of the time)for my tonearm but I am very Pleased with it

The Ortofon RS-212D, on my modified Technics SL-1210Mk5G:

m0XLJg.jpg

Superb all-rounder, but really shines with low-compliance MCs, such as SPUs/DL-103s, which like a bit of mass.

Marco.

No contest, my Thales Easy tonearm, it's delicacy in handling took a bit of getting used to but now I'm loving it.
Thales seem to have a different approach which I like.
This is about as far as I can get into their range, it'll likely last my lifetime as long as I stay with vinyl.
It came as part of the Thales TTT - Slim II t/t package, which in itself is a corker and sounds sublime.

My last turntable was a Rega P5 which resold me on vinyl after a 6 month break following selling/regretting a Notts Analogue Spacedeck with an OL Encounter arm and previous to that i've had various Linn LP12/Ittok/Ekos/Aro and Garrard 401/sme etc etc, Rega's, even a Bauer DPS (my next favourite so far) with a few other decks i've forgotten about although never quite reaching into the super high end.

Anyway, enough comparisons to know that Thales design concepts are something special and a joy to operate and use.

Blurb on the Easy tonearm is as follows:

'The Easy tonearm is named, as it is an easy way to enter the world of perfect analogue tracking. The design of the Easy tonearm enables a variable offset angle and this is based on a newly developed and highly innovative geometry.
The clever arrangement of six bearing points creates three null points for the horizontal tracking error, plus a zero point for the variable offset angle as well and this is really unique for a tonearm design. This means the cartridge is guided along the ideal tracing line just like that of a parallel tracking tonearm. As well as perfect tracking, side forces are reduced tremendously and this is clearly audible when listening to the EASY tonearm.'

Reactions: koi
Best 3 I have owned (out of maybe 30 odd)

1. Bergmann Magne Parallel tracker
2. Thomas Shick 12"
3. Ortofon TA-210 12" (current arm)

So you admit you haven't heard all arms mentioned here, yet you suspect the Funk is the best conventional tonearm... When has Funk produced anything which was regarded as "state of the art", or even reviewed as the best of the best? Have you actually seen what other tonearms are on offer, or available around the world, or what gets great reviews in the top magazines? Ever heard of SAT, Thales, Schröder?

Jason Kennedy, Hi-Fi Choice: This was a shock. The Series V is a superb piece of engineering and a highly regarded piece of kit, yet it was clear that the FXR delivered more of the music in a calmer and cleaner fashion.

Alan Sircom, Hi-Fi Plus: I’ve not heard every arm in Christendom and beyond. But I have heard a lot of them, some in review and some in private listening, often in the company of some exceptionally fine decks, cartridges and phono stages. And the short- form version of this is the FXR II takes every one of them outside and gives them a swift kick in the bearings. It’s in another league.

I don't have arm lust. It's like liking a certain type of alloy wheel. All it needs to do is put the rubber on the road and keep it there, steadily.
However, I did have more than one occasion to use Johnny at Audio Origami, so if your tonearm is flawed, which it is, then this is the bloke to help you make it less so.

I have used quite a few over the years paired with different turntables.

Mission 744/lp12
Linn Ekos/lp12
Naim Aro/lp12
Well tempered/with own arm
Garrard 301/Morch dp6
Thorens td124/Morch up4
Mitchell orbe/sme 3009

Currently Using two arms on a Nottingham Analogue Dais/Ace Anna/Alphason

My two favourites are Naim Aro /Linn Lp12 & Dais/Anna

Didn’t realise how many Turntables,Tonearms I’ve used over the years.

Anyway what’s your favourites, if it’s been done before apologies :)

Best pickup arm (as opposed to “tone” influencing arm) I have heard over the last 36 years is the Funk FXR2. They simply get out of the way of the music and work on all sorts of decks.

I've not owned many serious arms and have used the ARO for the longest time. Everything can make a difference in analog replay but I can't get that excited about tonearms. I find turntables themselves more lust-worthy and the difference between them can be very great indeed.

I have had quite a few arms that I love and admire, all do different things and float my boat in there own way. To be definitive as to which is best is almost impossible to variants are too great cartridge and turntable choice is a key factor to consider. We all have our preferences

The arms I mention are arms I enjoy using and nothing to do with what i do for a living and in many cases are not available for me to ever think of them as a business proposition. The arms that stand out for me are as follows. Its almost impossible to say this is the best its what floats one boat.

My personal all time favourite The Air tangent Reference MK11 Ltd Edition Remote Controlled Tonearm. This Tonearm always makes me smile with its large expansive sound stage superb fleshed out midrange I can get great tun full bass out of it albeit with a industrial compressor and refrigeration, rewiring with some custom platinum wire I had constructed I have a pure gold version too a bit too polite for me. I personally prefer the Air tangent to the Rockport 7000 arm it has a full vibrant midrange the Rockport is a bit cleaner and faster with great attack the Air tangent pulling me in musically. The Rockport Tonearm made for the system 111 turntable is quite different to the 7000 more substantial but almost impossible to compare directly with the Airtangent. Both are not longer available likely never to be either.

I remember the first Airtangent I ever owned in in 87 from that moment I was hooked, The 10b and Reference tonearms were major improvements and in my opinion were never touched by the latter High Flow low pressure 2002 model. Always sounded weak compared to the High pressure low flow air bearing tonearms.

I like them both brands I am generally an air bearing person and can't imagine finding anything I enjoy as much. I also love the Vyger Tonearm supplied with there turntables and as a complete package enjoy the turntable and arm very much. Air bearings are a faff and many have failed to produce what I consider as a viable proposition.

Schroder LT steve dobbins version great tonearm indeed especially in terms of soundstage width and depth I love using the arm when I get the chance and can see why Schroder tonearms are loved by many.

SAT Tremendous bass weight and scale I and attack but a little to organised and academic for me but I admire the arm in many ways its great to use. Tremendously powerful and dynamic I want a bit more air and space again turntable and cartridge would be a key factor. I have never enjoyed this tonearm on the commonly partnered Tech Das Air Force One actually preferred it on the Airforce Two. Mark Gomez is a very talented designer for sure.

Graham Phantom Elite 12" while not generally a fan of the brand have had countless Graham arms since the 1.0 in 1990 the 12" phantom elite does make an interesting sound when combined with the stone bodied Koetsu diamond cantilevered cartridges there is some synergy and seems to bring out great imaging and detail from the cartridge with still of the the vibrancy and power in the midrange. Have to admire bob graham for his dedication in perfecting his product. The elite 12" is in my opinion a much nicer sounding arm than the more common Phanton mk 111. Why Graham never pushes the 12" variant ceases to amaze me.

Glanz MH-124SD Tonearm wonderful tonearm this flagship offering from glanz is superb with all the spu cartridges I have thrown at it and gets the best out of the Miyajima madake in my humble opinion lovely to use. Highly enjoyable to listen too.

Thales Statement very musical indeed have heard one one a sme 30/12 turntable sounding the business. Lovely product

Other arms I admire and love

Timestep 12" great value for money

Sme M12R the unsung hero of the sme line up rather sad really

SEAC 407/23 modified by shun mook great musical tonearm. I like this arm makes me smile very airy and delicate very enjoyable not the last word in detail.

Alphason Hr 100s what an advanced tonearm for its time. Lots of history with this arm a lot of my childhood was spent trying to get the best out of it with VDH cartridges back in the day.

Ikeda 407 while I have a soft spot for this tonearm not easy to live with live with due to the immense faffing with cartridge alignment and almost impossible to work with an Spu I do admire the arm so its listed even not perfectly aligned it sounds great. I have had great results with miajima cartridges and the IOLTD.

Fidelity Research FR66s becoming very hard to get hold off, nice arm big expansive great control not the last word in detail I would not go over crazy to get one if I never owned one there are better offerings out there but I nice are to own in any case.

SME V-12 underrated in my opinion, Beautiful bit of kit has to be mentioned it took a lot of guts and dedication to produce the series V I personally know the sacrifice what ARA went through too launch this. How many products do you look at and smile with its fit and super finish. And actually even better now with brand new plating and paint facilities. With the right cartridge very capable.

I have missed a few out maybe add them later

My Goldmund T3F on the reference has to also get a mention as can sound wonderful indeed its is also takes a lot of time and attention to get the best out of it it produces a big open sound rarely heard.

Last edited:
Probably more for nostalgia sake, my first two “real” tonearms were the Grace G-707 and a bit later a Magnepan Unitrac, used on a modified JVC direct drive deck. I honestly remember very little details from those arms these days, but the main thing I remember about it, it was an exciting and very fun time in Audio for me.

Later on came my LP12 and Akito, then Ittok, and lastly, an Aro. Loved the Aro.

After a long absence from analog after a divorce parted me from my gear as well as albums, I decided to jump in and go for a table that I love, yet still getting a feel for in many ways, a Holbo air-bearing system. Interesting times! I think in some ways it has brought back some fun for me, much like those early arms did.

I'm enjoying my new Origin Live Encounter. A massive step up from my upgraded RB300. The OL is the best I've ever owned so far.... A faff to set the tracking force though...

advertisement

Back