advertisement

What’s your favourite tonearm?

SME V - owned since 2000 ( love the looks and sound.)

Audionote Arm 1 V2- heard and saw one at a show and just had to have one.

May well try one of the new Jelcos this year as they look cool! or upgrade to an Audionote ARM3 V2.:D

Last edited:
Thanks Darren. I've never used the SME IV - daft I know - so couldn't compare. I did get a chance to visit the Rega factory though to see the RB2000 being built. The care and attention in ensuring that every part fits just so was lovely to see. Seems the RB2000 takes a lot long to build than the other arms in Rega range.

I currently have, in no particular order;

Roksan Artemiz, silver wired
Roksan Tabriz Cardas rewire
Synrinx PU3
Mission Mechanic
Sme 3012, Cardas rewire
Audiomods V
Just acquired SME 4

Had;
Aro , sold to buy sme 4
Hadcock 242
Mission 774
Roksan Nima
Rega rb’s 250, 300
Audionote V1 arm one
Helius Scorpio 3 + Aurius

The best/ favourite is the Artemiz, regret not keeping the Hadcock, biggest dissapoitment was the Audionote. Looking forward to fitting the SME 4.

The Mission Mechanic has been on the wish list for years, I’ve only used it with Koetsu Rosewood hence not yet favourite.

Have had since 1987:
Excalibur / Elite Rock MkII - never looked back.

Had:
Thorens TP63 / TD 147

Listened to:
Ittok / LP12
Ekos / LP12
WT Amadeus with own arm (bloody good)
Excalibur II / The Rock V (tempting)

For sheer looks: SME IV and V, Morch DP-6 and UP-4, and Graham 2.0.

For engineering perfection, SME IV and V.

For flawless sound: Funk FX-R.

Alex

The (Funk) X crossbeam is truly a work of genius.

Yes, it is. The only thing I don't like about the FX-R is that it retains the rudimentary anti-skate adjustment from the original RB-300, which means it is almost impossible to get precise and repeatable bias. Really not up to the standards of the rest of the design...
Alex

I have a 12 inch Reed 3P on my NA Dais, which I preferred to the SME V. Lovely midrange, and azimuth and VTA adjustment on the fly.

Used to have an RB600 on a Spacedeck, which was a nice combo.

Reactions: koi
I've had many of the usual suspects over the years...

SME 3009 SII imp on a TD160
Rega RB300 on Garrard 401 and VPI HW-19
Hadcock 242 on the 401
Linn Ittok on a tricked up Goldring Lenco GL75
Roksan Nima on the '75

Loved the Hadcock and the Nima is the best on the '75 so far... seems I like unipivots...

I’ve owned LP 12 since 1978 in that time I've had a collection of arms :

SME 2009
Hadcock
Grace
Ittok x 3
Aro ( currently for the last 11 years)

Regards,

Martin

I've owned so many Planar 3s over three decades, that I just have to say the RB300. It inspires both respect and affection, and at the time was a quantum leap. It also made Rega's name - something to be grateful for I think in terms of the value and enjoyment they as a company have provided over the years. I did like the RB1000 on my P9 too, but it was just too self-effacing.

Since then, the Aro. It looks sort-of Heath Robinsonian, but on a sorted LP12 it was outstanding.

And now, finally, the SME V. I genuinely never thought I'd own one, but now that I do I'm not sure I could live with anything else.

It also made Rega's name - something to be grateful for I think in terms of the value and enjoyment they as a company have provided over the years. I did like the RB1000 on my P9 too, but it was just too self-effacing.

Rega were hugely successful prior to that, the original Planet, Planar 2 and Planar 3 were all highly desirable products. I can remember a time where the waiting list to get your hands on an original Planar 3 was over 6 months so large was the demand relative to the production capability at the time. The original Planar 3 with the R200 arm and R100 cart remains my favourite Rega product, a real design classic IMO. The RB300 was a better arm, but I was never convinced it made for a better deck on a Planar 3. The original just sounded very ‘right’ as a whole to me.

advertisement

Back