advertisement

Well done Andy Murray!

Jack!

I have read a lot of your emails and I am pleased to say that almost to the letter I find myself unable to subscribe to the views contained in them. The main reason being that I am unsure whether you are a complete knob or so pedantic or paranoid, bitter and twisted as to not be worth wasting my time reading anything you write.

When watching the MENS tennis final it is a given is it not that when announcing that it is 77 years since a Brit won at Wimbledon that the commentator is referring to a MAN. Otherwise we should be saying when watching say Martina Navratolova and some other elfin like female tennis player that it is 77 years since a British man won at Wimbledon, presumably dressed as a female. I cannot for the life of me work out why when watching this years women's final not one commentator saw fit to mention when a Frenchman last won Wimbledon or how old Boris Becker was when he won. I am sure you will have a convincing theory as to why not. Humor us all and dish the dirt.

SteveT
Whotchoo doin' readin' Jack's E-mails? You a spook?

"Murray attended Dunblane Primary School, and was present during the 1996 Dunblane school massacre, when Thomas Hamilton killed 17 people before shooting himself" - might put a wee bit of perspective on Murray's character, TPA.
almost certainly

Without question it is an irrational thing, and tbh, I'm feeling a bit guilty now(!) Like I said earlier, I really don't begrudge him any of his success, far from it, just that he seems to irritate. By comparison Djokovic seemed to be far more composed and eloquent.

I think he just has expressions and behavioural traits that just remind me of someone I knew many years ago who was so indulged by his mum that he had a completely unrealistic way of dealing with things.

fair enough, irrational I understand

The BBC ran a very good one hour documentary on him last night with lots of people who know him making contributions. His personal account of being in the school when the killings took place was very poignant.

To be a tennis pro, you are going to be spending hours on the practice court every day, more hours in the gym. Pete Sampras was like that - it's boring, there is no room for party animals these days

I think he just has expressions and behavioural traits that just remind me of someone I knew many years ago who was so indulged by his mum that he had a completely unrealistic way of dealing with things.

I think growing up in a small grey town in Scotland, always raining, with the childhood trauma he experienced, probably made him want to bury himself in something that was a mixture of a hiding place and a key to escaping. Sure, he doesn't talk much, but he talks more than he did, and he's now warming to his new role in the spotlight and I'm sure will rise to the challenge of celebrity in the same way that he approaches his tennis - as hard work, but a job that has to be done. It was probably the task and challenge he wanted, not for it to be achieved and be on the other side of that.

Sure, he isn't bright and breezy like Jock O'Vich, but he isn't that person. He's probably far more interesting than that, and there is a real human story there. A very remarkable one too. One that isn't just about tennis. I think he battles with the juxtaposition of being the best at tennis and wanting to be a recluse, and the irony that something as lonely as tennis was his hiding place. As a person I think he's quite damaged - understandably.

Dunblane is a picturesque little town, set on some quite beautiful countryside. It's also affluent. Will be interesting to read what Murdoch's goons and Uncle Fester at The Mail are now writing about him compared with previous years.

I think growing up in a small grey town in Scotland, always raining, with the childhood trauma he experienced, probably made him want to bury himself in something that was a mixture of a hiding place and a key to escaping. Sure, he doesn't talk much, but he talks more than he did, and he's now warming to his new role in the spotlight and I'm sure will rise to the challenge of celebrity in the same way that he approaches his tennis - as hard work, but a job that has to be done.

Sure, he isn't bright and breezy like Jock O'Vich, but he isn't that person. He's probably far more interesting than that, and there is a real human story there. A very remarkable one too. One that isn't just about tennis. I think he battles with the juxtaposition of being the best at tennis and wanting to be a recluse, and the irony that something as lonely as tennis was his hiding place. As a person I think he's quite damaged - understandably.

Dunblane is a very mostly affluent place surrounded by stunning scenery & 40 minutes away from Edinburgh, Glasgow or Perth.

And let's not get involved in amateur hour psychobable, shall we?
I don't give a toss about his back story, or whether he is a tortured human being. And neither should anyone else.

It should be enough that he's pretty good at tennis & wins things.

Chris

It's remote from the real world and it rains, a lot.
If you are not interested in him, then fair enough, but I think the person behind the success is the interesting bit, personally. That's why people buy biographies. That's why biographies sell extremely well. You are probably in the minority in not being interested in the person, Chris, and if that was all we here were interested in, then I imagine this thread would have ended on page one with an announcement that he'd won Wimbledon. End of story.
I'm not interested in celebrities, but that's why I like this guy - because he isn't interested in being one either.

Dunblane is indeed a nice little town, it's far from deprived and in a beautiful area. That's one thing that made the shootings there so shocking. I think it's overstating the case to describe him as a "recluse" or having a "hiding place", I just don't think he much likes being on display other than doing his sport. That's reasonable enough. After all, any modern sport is far too focussed to allow the playboys of old to excel.

It's remote from the real world and it rains, a lot.

Bollocks. It may be remote from your reality, but what is so special about your reality?

And it rains about as much as it rainns in Glasgow or Manchester or say Todmorden. Does that make anybody who comes from these places tortured & damaged?

Chris

Dunblane is a very mostly affluent place surrounded by stunning scenery & 40 minutes away from Edinburgh, Glasgow or Perth.

And let's not get involved in amateur hour psychobable, shall we?
I don't give a toss about his back story, or whether he is a tortured human being. And neither should anyone else.

It should be enough that he's pretty good at tennis & wins things.

Chris

I though we had established that once a sportsman moves outside the confines of his sport and seeks to be other things than just a sportsman , then all the pyschobable in the world is fair game . ;)

He's Scottish! Of course he's tortured and damaged!

and yes, I do talk bollocks. I can't really argue that one. :)

Bollocks. It may be remote from your reality, but what is so special about your reality?

And it rains about as much as it rainns in Glasgow or Manchester or say Todmorden. Does that make anybody who comes from these places tortured & damaged?

Chris

Annie Lennox hurumphed her way through Here Comes the Rain Again for that very reason. I was scarred for life by precipitation. The Mayans had a bloodthirsty deity devoted to it. Never underestimate the existential despair from even a cloudy day. It's like going to hell and having to listen to Leonard Cohen for eternity. All right?

Annie Lennox hurumphed her way through Here Comes the Rain Again for that very reason. I was scarred for life by precipitation. The Mayans had a bloodthirsty deity devoted to it. Never underestimate the existential despair from even a cloudy day. It's like going to hell and having to listen to Leonard Cohen for eternity. All right?

Rain & cloudy days don't bother me in the slightest.

Chris

advertisement

Back