advertisement

weiss dac 202

This is suspiciously similar to the Twisted Pear design, which is published, and has been refined through several versions.

I wonder if the Weiss people just ripped the TP design off, and put it in a nice box?

Do you think Weiss copied the async firewire protocol as well?
Keith.

There are only so many ways to engineer these things. Setting a price is a different story...

I totally agree and I for one am not paying bonkers prices when I am quite sure such prices will drop as the technology equals out leaving the competition to relate to price only.

I still find myself waiting for the mythical Westlake DAC, god knows when it will finally arrive, but it does all I need, analogue/digital volume, headphone out, analogue throughput and Async USB. Sensible money price as well.

This is suspiciously similar to the Twisted Pear design, which is published, and has been refined through several versions.

I wonder if the Weiss people just ripped the TP design off, and put it in a nice box?

Nothing would surprise me, Weiss didn't even want to give any details on the dac chip they used :D

Much more likely that both of them just implement the app note for the ES chip as close as they see fit.

The OPA1632 is not shown in the ES9018 datasheet to be used as the differential output , TP was the only people I knew of using the OPA1632

The OPA1632 is not shown in the ES9018 datasheet to be used as the differential output , TP was the only people I knew of using the OPA1632

Then Weiss must be copying, what more proof could you need than one shared component.

I'd personally prefer it if dan wiess paid me for owning a 202 :D
But really, no more that the DAC2 imho

The ES9018 + optimized regulation and output stage would be more expensive than the PCM1792 used in the DAC2.
They would sound quite different too

advertisement

Back