advertisement

weiss dac 202

OK, thought the 202 was £4200. If the 202 was in the same price range as the DAC2 bet they'd be selling much quicker.

What you guys are forgetting is that a Naim DAC wth XPS comes in at around £5k. That makes the DAC202 seen cheap by comparison. Also its a lot more cuter than the horrid Naim boxes and occupies only a quarter or less of the space on yer rack.

Cheers,

DV

Benchmark is not poor at any price. but if it was cheaper it would be better VFM. Theres nothing 'state of art' about any DAC they're quite simple things really.

I have directly compared the Benchmark to Weiss in the same system, it ( Benchmark ) really is quite ordinary, but cheaper, it really is up to the indivuidual.
Keith.

Guys, what do you think the DAC202 should cost?

Peter

If you built it up from the Twisted Pear guy's modules, you would need to spend about US$500 - say £300. A nice case from HiFi 2000 say another £100, and lets allow £100 for assembly, mains lead and sundries - say total cost £500.

In the hi-fi world retail prices have to be about twice cost - manufacturer has to make a profit, and retailer wants 50% or so, then VAT, shipping, insurance and so on.

So I can see why it should be about £1,000 to £1,500 retail.

If you built it up from the Twisted Pear guy's modules, you would need to spend about US$500 - say £300. A nice case from HiFi 2000 say another £100, and lets allow £100 for assembly, mains lead and sundries - say total cost £500.

In the hi-fi world retail prices have to be about twice cost - manufacturer has to make a profit, and retailer wants 50% or so, then VAT, shipping, insurance and so on.

So I can see why it should be about £1,000 to £1,500 retail.

By reverse engineering you would be stealing intellectual property. Does that not bother you. Who knows how much the research, development and production costs are behind that design that you are so happy to steal?

Design it yoursellf then. But ah no you are just not good enough to compete.....

Its like all good inventions. The plebs can't do it for themselves so they steal what real inventers do... lke the Chinese and the rest of Asia do etc.

Cheers,

DV

No DAC needs to cost that much.

Many people would argue that a hifi system costing more than a couple of hundred quid isn't worth the money either.

The fact is that my recently purchased Dac2 walks all over any other digital source I've heard, so for me it's extremely good vfm. Mate of mine flogged his CDS2/XPS when he bought his Weiss as he felt it inferior - so compared to a high end cd player, it's value for money, especially as you can use it as a pre-amp & play hi-res files.

Unless you diy, no new piece of hifi is going to look like vfm if you just look at component cost.

In your opinion.

In my opinion, after having just read this whole thread there's not one constructive or justified piece of criticism thats come from your keyboard nor is there anything good to say about the 202. You've obviously compared it with the many other DAC's out there and also compared them all in different systems to reach your negative conclusion about it....or is that me just assuming you have by all your backseat comments?

advertisement

Back