advertisement

weiss dac 202

that's interesting, my dealer still insists that no dacs compare to a rega saturn.

i agree with you though, the weiss dac2 is also very tempting given the cost against the 202.

What system has he listened to a Saturn in?

Don't get me wrong, the Saturn is a very good cd player and a massive bargain at the new price, but in my system, the Weiss dac sounded noticeably better in all respects.

Jezmond, I once demo'd a Saturn before I decided to buy the Apollo and having heard the Apollo plugged into the Benchmark DAC HDR I can confirm the former combo is far superior to the Saturn on it's own IMHO.

Peter, how does the DAC202 compare to the DAD DACs?
It doesn't really in terms of the final sound, but then the DAD doesn't offer sensible connectivity for a PC even with the SPDIF module. The modules implementation of toslink is poor tbh, though coaxial is superb if you have a quality 24/96 sound card, Weiss INT202 interface or CD Transport.

The DAD AX24 is best with the MADI interface supporting 24/192, DSD and DXD. The PCI card you really need is the Mykerinos, but it's very expensive; I mean many thousands of pounds as used by DAD dedicated studios like Abbey Roads recent AX24 purchases. RME is a cheaper alternative, but I really struggled to get a comparable sound to using a CD transport.

Sonically it’s more revealing of good recordings compared to the Weiss DAC202; really letting you peer into the macro detail and depth of the recording, whilst presenting a more analogue and musically engaging presentation via a Music First Preamp. All these DAC’s are very good, and it’s quite easy to spend £15k on a top flight DAD, though my AD-DA, MADI, SPDIF, 24/192 model would probably take you to £6k.

Peter

Sonically it’s more revealing of good recordings compared to the Weiss DAC202; really letting you peer into the macro detail and depth of the recording, whilst presenting a more analogue and musically engaging presentation via a Music First Preamp.

Peter

Keith,

did you compare the DAC202 to the DAD AX24 ?

matthias

Matthias Hi, I had the ax24 here but not at the same time as the 202, the DAD is a good dac no question, the only thing that put me off was the connectivity, to get the best out of it ( imho ) would mean buying a Weiss firewire interface AFII or INT202 , subsequently I heard the Metric Halo ULN8 and that offered more versatility,and just as good sq, again imho etc.
Keith.

Where did you get your 202 from Peter?
Igloo Audio.

Couldn't add the bio that I wanted (not enough words), so I just kept it to the plain and simple truth. Wheels in motion for Igloo..., so maybe an intial thread that opens the mystery and gives the clarification it deserves. Then everyone can sleep at night and buy cheap Naim..?

Peter

Looking forward to getting one on demo Keith. If its as good as Steve says then my DAC2 will be in the classifieds...

I'll give you a call tomorrow

James

James Hi, I will send you one,supply has been ,well scarce! But there should be more arriving end of this wek/beginning of next.
VB Keith.

The same chip as used in this kit http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/buffalo.aspx - I see they are open for orders again tomorrow.

I have an older version of the kit, using the ESS9008, which is very nice, but the newer version is universally agreed to better by people who have made the comparison.

The ES9018 Sabre in the Weiss DAC202 uses OPA1632 on the differential output and AD797 for differential to line out. Regs are LT1461 and LT1129

The Weiss DAC202 is stunning!

It uses the most perfect volume control for Active Speakers IMO. Love it!

Peter

Peter,

I would appreciate if you shed some light on the performance of the dac202 with its digital volume control direct into active atcs. Does this perform better than with an additional preamp?
Thanks

matthias

The ES9018 Sabre in the Weiss DAC202 uses OPA1632 on the differential output and AD797 for differential to line out. Regs are LT1461 and LT1129

This is suspiciously similar to the Twisted Pear design, which is published, and has been refined through several versions.

I wonder if the Weiss people just ripped the TP design off, and put it in a nice box?

Peter,

I would appreciate if you shed some light on the performance of the dac202 with its digital volume control direct into active atcs. Does this perform better than with an additional preamp?
Thanks

matthias
Hi Matthias, I personally feel so.

I'm very impress with its implementation since I can control the volume to a very fine level, unlike using a Music First Audio Passive or Tom Evans Vibe/Pulse 2 for example. Both these preamps (Passive and Active) are very transparent, though they do add a little warmth through the bass/mid that some may preferred I guess.

Regardless of what’s in the box, it's the sound and combined functionality that really matters to me.

Peter

This is suspiciously similar to the Twisted Pear design, which is published, and has been refined through several versions.

I wonder if the Weiss people just ripped the TP design off, and put it in a nice box?
It wouldn't be the first time that other peoples designs are use (if true), but it's the final implementation that really matters in the end, functionality, sound and form.

Peter

Much more likely that both of them just implement the app note for the ES chip as close as they see fit.

advertisement

Back