advertisement

War declared, Israel v Palestine...

I cannot see that Israel will let Iran have the last word. I would expect them to take out some of Iran's military bases at the very least.

Do we know in what way France was involved? France and the UK both aided the US efforts. Sunak seems to be the only 'significant' 'leader' not to have called explictly for restraint.

Biden tells Netanyahu US won’t support counterattack against Iran: Report

[Biden knows exactly what caused this, a missile strike that destroyed Iran’s consulate building in Damascus a couple of weeks ago.]

The US president told the Israeli prime minister during a call yesterday that the US will not support any Israeli counterattack against Iran, Axios has cited a senior White House official as saying.
Joe Biden also told Benjamin Netanyahu the joint defensive actions by Israel, the US and other countries in the region led to the repelling of the Iranian attack, according to the White House official.
“You got a win. Take the win,” the US president told Netanyahu, according to the official.
The official said that when Biden told Netanyahu that the US would not take in any offensive operations against Iran and would not support such operations, the Israeli prime minister said he understood.

Yet only 48 hours ago he issued an ‘ironclad committment.’ Does he even know what he’s saying anymore?

Iran’s actions last night were clearly intended as nothing more than a warning shot that it has been provoked beyond endurance. They have an exceptionally advanced military capability, including 1000’s of missiles, and would be able to inflict more damage upon Israel than at any other time in its history. A combined attack with Hezbollah, who themselves are formidably armed, would overcome the iron dome. It would however be an all or nothing onslaught.

In such a scenario the US would be compelled to respond. And I don’t trust Netenyahu not to use nukes in those circumstances. This is about as close as we’ve got since Cuba 1962. Hang on to yer hats.

Iran’s actions last night were clearly intended as nothing more than a warning shot that it has been provoked beyond endurance. They have an exceptionally advanced military capability, including 1000’s of missiles, and would be able to inflict more damage upon Israel than at any other time in its history. A combined attack with Hezbollah, who themselves are formidably armed, would overcome the iron dome. It would however be an all or nothing onslaught.

In such a scenario the US would be compelled to respond. And I don’t trust Netenyahu not to use nukes in those circumstances. This is about as close as we’ve got since Cuba 1962. Hang on to yer hats.
I still don't think he could use nukes without US authorisation, so they'd be fully involved too at that stage

I thought it was the Oct. 7 massacre by Hamas that started it. But let us, indeed, be clear.

Indeed, and certainly a significant catalyst but that won't matter to the comrades who won't allow their social justice consciousnesses to show any empathy for Isreal.

Indeed, and certainly a significant catalyst but that won't matter to the comrades who won't allow their social justice consciousnesses to show any empathy for Isreal.
As opposed to right wing nutters and Starmer supporters who are only capable of social justice unconsciousness, who are utterly catatonic when it comes to justice of any sort

53644698723_c1f1a33847_z.jpg
Did he really say this ? That the rich own all the media is as old as media itself, and it certainly was that way long before Einstein.

People said the Ukraine invasion would lead to WW3 - still waiting. Israel and Iran - not even close. October '62 it is not.
The difference is that this time the US and UK are heavily invested in one side against a much weaker side. Our investment in a regime that has committed the same war crimes that colonialism always does has made the prospect of war closer. As the prospect of conflict gets closer, who will Iran look to for support?

Our ME policy has no moral authority and even less strategic common sense.

I'm not so sure. I recall Iraq successfully striking targets in Israel during a much bigger and wider conflict in 1991 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_rocket_attacks_on_Israel) and WW3 was avoided then.
Granted, but we are in a very different place, and Iran today is not Iraq in 91. Neither Putin or Netenyahu were players in 91, and Trump wasn’t waiting in the wings with his penchant for unpredictable fits of pique. The potential for escalation is way beyond that of Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait. I’m not predicting it, just highlighting how precarious the situation has become.

Neither Iran or Hezbollah want a full out showdown, but they know that in any serious strike against Israel they will have one shot before massive retaliation, so they’d better make it count.

advertisement

Back