advertisement

Walking Boots

Completely useless advice but the best boots I have ever used are from a long since defunct company. It was a company called Line7 (French I think) and I bought a pair (plus another for my fairly new at the time wife) back in the mid 90's. Proper fabric boots with goretex and vibram soles a bit chunky but sooooooo comfortable and seriously long lived, still brilliant, waterproof and solid. Now I am no sherpa Tensing but we have done a fair milage in them and I do worry how I will ever replace them. They are that comfortable.
My wife bought some Line 7s in the early 90s. She still loves them.

Thorlo make great socks, I’ve been using these for about 35 years. Currently using both Salomon and Scarpa boots, but you won’t get either of these for £120, unless you can find a pair in the end of run sale. Happy hunting, and get them fitted properly with the socks you intend to use.

I had a pair of Weird Fish walking shoes (not boots - I do not get on well with ankle covering boots) that were great and super comfortable, but 'only' lasted about 8 years of light use. The only bit that failed is the soft rim around the top is breaking up - the structure and soles are still perfectly fine. Still waterproof too. I have not thrown them out - they will get used for something - dog walking in winter perhaps.

I have just bought some new Peter Storm waterproof leather walking shoes with big Vibram soles from Go Outdoors. It is like walking on air - they are really comfortable. Of course it remains to be seen how well they last. But I do not do much hill walking and the local area in Worcestershire is not very tough!

Why is it so hard to find choice of widths in walking boots?

Just try different brands until you find a fit. My feet are wide but not excessively so and I still need to switch between brands as they change styles over the years. I favour what is termed an "approach shoe" as my daily wear and I am currently in Scarpa, but have had a lot of Merrell and occasional North Face as styles and fit changes. I cannot get comfortable in Meindl for some reason and Salomon tend to be too narrow but I do try them when it is time to replce in case they have changed.

advertisement

Back