advertisement

Walking Boots

Not sure what changed but it used to be agony breaking in walking boots. Then I bought some Brashers 20yrs ago and. If not quite slippers, breaking in was no longer a problem. I still buy the current Brashers as they are good value but the quality has dropped.

Reactions: MVV
If you find Aku boots in your local shop definitely give them a try. Mine felt as comfortable as slippers the first time I tried them in the shop and have remained the same ever since. I’d buy another pair when these wear out.

I had a pair of Zamberlans before. I’m sure many people will have good experiences with them, but I was still waiting for them to reach the comfortable stage when the soles fell off. It was mid- holiday so had to buy a new pair immediately (the Akus), and given my experience with the Akus I never felt it was worth getting the Zamberlans repaired.

regards

Kevin

Also don't skimp on the socks

Just as important as the boots!!!

What you want are 'Terry Loop' socks. I am really lucky as a RAFAC Instructor (Air Training Corps) that I have access to 'aircrew socks' - these are Terry Loop so cushioned, and, because they are synthetic material, breathe very well.

Reading this with interest. Bought a pair of Palladiums a couple of years ago secondhand on eBay for a tenner as gardening boots. Started walking in them too last December and have covered around 900 miles in them since then. They are sadly beginning to crack up on top (like their owner), so I need to replace them with something. Although admittedly if I saw another pair of Palladiums for a tenner I’d grab them.

Meindl and Lowa here, but not because they are better than the rest, they simply suit my ultra-wide feet.

When, say, @Debs says that he is a fan of Salomon boots, it is most certainly for some similar reason. Give me any pair of Adidas boots, I will likely not even manage to put my foot in.

Don't buy them online, pay the extra buck and go to a shop. And, most of all, buy them big enough. I mean, add one size at least. You'll see what I mean when walking down for a few hours.

Obviously the most expensive they could find . it’s also about money. But if you have it why not flaunt it;)

There are some amazing soft walking shoes if you don’t do Rocky. I’m talking leather not synthetic. The latter in lightweight materials aren’t worth bothering with. MOAB is a good example ive had experience of.

Except for Vietnam war era "jungle boots" - I've bought and worn out a few pairs of US GI issue boots over the last 50 plus years. Main appeal was simply they were cheap work boots. Had read about the new issue boots in the Marine Corp. Gazette years (decades) ago-but they are anything but cheap work boots IMO. Dang if i don't stumble into what sure looks like a brand new pair at my local GoodWill for $37.50 - passed on 'em during frequent visits to check the LP selections out 'cause they were sized for what my feet were at 18 -not what they had become 50 years later. Finally decided to try 'em on and they fit perfectly (apparently sized for being worn with very thick issue socks). Gortex ,tough- desert tan is stained up noticeably (for the price I don't care) - got about 10 years of every second or third day use in on 'em -second pair of heal replacements and other than cosmetics - they are still going strong and comfortable. These might be up there with AK-47's for the numbers made -so-I'd think finding a deal on 'em might not be all that hard. A few years later I bought a set of Danners that appear to be pretty much the same pattern except in brown -those are also giving good service in every other day use.

Terry Loop so cushioned, and, because they are synthetic material, breathe very well.

I find this the exact opposite of my experience.

Synthetic materials make me sweat and the wicking claims do not come to fruition in my experience.
I favour cotton/wool mix socks for walking boots, or just cotton.

Same goes for base-layers, I find synthetics make me feel like I am wearing a plastic bag.

I also advocate 2 pairs of thinner socks rather than 1 pair of thick socks.

Last time I purchased boots I went to Decathlon as they have a selection and the prices are reasonable.
I used to prefer all leather boots with minimal seams, now I am less rigid.

The Wife really likes Asolo boots, they suit her narrow feet. I have quite wide feet, so usually have a harder time finding boots or shoes.

I did have a lovely pair of leather Raichle boots, but the cushioned sole after the Vibram rotted away and the sole came away. Shame, as they were sturdy.
Not sure what Raichle are like nowadays as they were 20 yrs old.

I find this the exact opposite of my experience.

Synthetic materials make me sweat and the wicking claims do not come to fruition in my experience.
I favour cotton/wool mix socks for walking boots, or just cotton.

Same goes for base-layers, I find synthetics make me feel like I am wearing a plastic bag.

I also advocate 2 pairs of thinner socks rather than 1 pair of thick socks.

Last time I purchased boots I went to Decathlon as they have a selection and the prices are reasonable.
I used to prefer all leather boots with minimal seams, now I am less rigid.

The Wife really likes Asolo boots, they suit her narrow feet. I have quite wide feet, so usually have a harder time finding boots or shoes.

I did have a lovely pair of leather Raichle boots, but the cushioned sole after the Vibram rotted away and the sole came away. Shame, as they were sturdy.
Not sure what Raichle are like nowadays as they were 20 yrs old.
Agree on every point. The only synthetic thing that works for me are t-shirts for hiking, they really dry along as you walk.

My Lowa boots rotted away too and I guess it’s my fault to some extent - leaving them in the car boot for years was not exactly a good idea.

I’m googling these days for a new pair, there are a few Meindls with extra-wide interior, I might fall for these.

Agree on every point. The only synthetic thing that works for me are t-shirts for hiking, they really dry along as you walk.

My Lowa boots rotted away too and I guess it’s my fault to some extent - leaving them in the car boot for years was not exactly a good idea.

I’m googling these days for a new pair, there are a few Meindls with extra-wide interior, I might fall for these.

My Raichle boots were stored in the dark, indoors when not used (they were my winter boots)
the bit that rotted was like a spongy layer. Rotted soo much I could stick my finger in the spongy bit.

Synthetic t-shirts do not suit me at all, and make me sweat compared to cotton.

I used a pair of Brasher Hillmasters for many years, but they gradually became uncomfortable, so I tried various other types, e.g. Mendl, Salomon, etc. without success. Then I began to realise that the size 10.5 I'd been wearing for all my adult walking life had become too small as a result of creeping arthritis. Upping the size to 12, wide fitting, helped a lot, but I increasingly struggled to walk for any great distance in comfort. I bought some Altbergs, but they moved around too much on my feet. In the end, I abandoned the big, heavy, leather "Alp-cruncher" style of boot, & also looked out for boots without a pronounced heel, more of a curved sole giving a rocker action. This was suggested to me by an orthotist, and was the best move I ever made in achieving comfort.

Contrary to a previous poster, the most comfortable boots I've found to date is a pair of Adidas Goretex Terrex hiking shoes. They really are superb - great cushioning, light, good ankle support (more of a boot than shoe), very wide, and with an excellent "Continental" sole that grips extremely well on slippery rock but doesn't get clogged up. I've given up trying boots in shoeshops - you can never judge how good they're going to be when used in anger, & I've had more success in buying on-line. I've also bought a pair of ON Cloudrock walking boots, which are very light and comfortable. My only issue is that despite what they advertise, they're not very waterproof (a good drenching in Nikwax cured that though) & their cleated soles pick up stones.

Just buy anything that fits from Scarpa, Brasher, Berghaus or Mammut. You will be dead before you need anything else. Do not buy anything branded Karrimor it was a great outdoor brand but was bought a while ago and sell very poor cheap crap now.
Not true, my 'Bodmin' boots have been superb for the last 4 years and have done 100's of miles with no trouble at all.

go to a shop - get a fitting - if they have a gait analysis even better. Salomon are ok, but some are not good for narrow feet. I dont recall what brand i have, but they were fitted in a shop and the recommendation after some gait analysis. I even learned that had i be doing this on my own then i would have ended up buying the wrong size.

for shoes i highly recommend https://www.on-running.com/en-gb/products/cloudventure-waterproof/mens/storm-cobble

if i need to buy boots i would look at On Running

Just buy anything that fits from Scarpa, Brasher, Berghaus or Mammut. You will be dead before you need anything else. Do not buy anything branded Karrimor it was a great outdoor brand but was bought a while ago and sell very poor cheap crap now.
This the key. I’ve used Scarpa for 30 years now because they do a last that fits my feet perfectly ( 47but narrow). I had to chuck a beautiful old leather pair because my right foot has lengthened due to a fallen arch, possibly following injury .
Boots will offer reasonable protection against an ankle sprain. Waterproofing membrane on a17 yr old pair of their fabric boots I got on a walking trip in the Dolomites is still largely intact.

advertisement

Back