advertisement

Walking Boots

I got a nice pair of all weather all terrain Salomon ankle boots for that money.

I know jack shit about walking boots though. I saw them in an outlet store and they were the only brand I recognised with a decent amount off.

I recently bought a pair of used boots from this place. They're immaculate, to be honest, and clearly very high-quality boots. I think they were about £70 including postage but are clearly a £200 boot in quality terms, with a four-ply Goretex lining.

Items for sale by surplusuk7 | eBay

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Bought some saloman boots a while back and they were supremely comfortable and waterproof, but the upper failed prematurely. I've had all sorts of boots over the years, but I only buy Scarpa walking shoes and boots now. Their Terra GTX is a great boot, light and comfy from the get-go, but really hard wearing. I am sure similar offerings from Meindl and Brasher are probably just as good, though.

I know that a size 46 Scarpa shoe or boot will always fit me perfectly, so I'm comfortable with buying online, but if you're not absolutely sure, go to a shop and get them fitted, rather than buying on the web. Always err on the side of caution and go for a larger boot if you're between sizes.

OP is in Sheffield, where we have Decathlon and GoOutdoors a short walk from each other, and Foothills just a bit further out. As others have said, good fit is vital, so suggest he gets on his bike....

go to a shop - get a fitting - if they have a gait analysis even better. Salomon are ok, but some are not good for narrow feet. I dont recall what brand i have, but they were fitted in a shop and the recommendation after some gait analysis. I even learned that had i be doing this on my own then i would have ended up buying the wrong size.

for shoes i highly recommend https://www.on-running.com/en-gb/products/cloudventure-waterproof/mens/storm-cobble

if i need to buy boots i would look at On Running

Shows how ymmv! I can’t be doing with On, bought a pair for running and spent half my life digging stones from between the pods. Absolutely useless on canal towpaths or anything ever so slightly off road.

Raichle were really lovely Austrian boots, bought by Mammut. Karimor were a great outdoor company now owned by Sports Direct and they are really good value for summer walking on footpaths. I never wear boots anymore summer or winter preferring fell shoes. I guess I'd only wear boots if I was planning on using crampons or if I was doing day after day in the wet with nowhere to dry stuff.

Way over the budget, but I have had a previous version of these for 10 years and they are superb. Before that I had earlier versions of the same boot. They do suit a narrower foot so not for everyone.
https://www.scarpa.co.uk/walk/sl-active/

I find that a goretex lining makes my feet sweat like hell. The Scarpa SL boots are the only boots in the range that do not have goretex and they don’t need it. They are plenty waterproof.

When I bought mine the SL’s were the only hiking boot in the range still being made in italy. I am not sure if this is still the case.

my sock of choice is Wigwam merino silk hiker. Even though they are thick they are still comfortable in hot weather.
https://gb.socksaddict.com/products/wigwam-merino-silk-hiker-crew-socks?variant=12695015456840

Shows how ymmv! I can’t be doing with On, bought a pair for running and spent half my life digging stones from between the pods. Absolutely useless on canal towpaths or anything ever so slightly off road.
On is the worst possible brand, at least for shoes. My very well earning sister-in-law bought five or six pairs of trainers in a row, apparently because their crazy price tags makes them sort of ‘hip’, until even she realised that it was just hopelessly overpriced krap. Keep them for six months and throw them away, a disgrace. I should like them as it’s sort of Roger Federer’s company, but no. Not if you paid me. Even the brand name is rubbish.

On is the worst possible brand, at least for shoes. My very well earning sister-in-law bought five or six pairs of trainers in a row, apparently because their crazy price tags makes them sort of ‘hip’, until even she realised that it was just hopelessly overpriced krap. Keep them for six months and throw them away, a disgrace. I should like them as it’s sort of Roger Federer’s company, but no. Not if you paid me. Even the brand name is rubbish.

On are the very best fitting for my feet in terms of comfort. Last about two years with my heavy use. Previous Salomons lasted about a year with similar.

On are an extremely good brand, very comfortable with good longevity.

Berghaus Superlites are really good for the price. In the last 5 years mine have walked many hundreds of miles along the coastal and cliff paths where I live, have walked the 200 miles to London from Hastings all along the coast, and have also done both the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge and heavy duty walking and scrambling in Snowdonia. They're still going strong.

On are the very best fitting for my feet in terms of comfort. Last about two years with my heavy use. Previous Salomons lasted about a year with similar.

On are an extremely good brand, very comfortable with good longevity.
Yes, my pair of ON boots have survived at least two years of heavy Lake District fell-walking completely intact. They are extremely comfortable, which I guess the shock-absorbing cleated sole is partly responsible for. Just a shame they tend to pick up stones. I did buy a pair of their waterproof trainers, equally comfy & strangely very waterproof, unlike the boots.

They are more than I want to spend really

You can pick up a pair on eBay for your budget, Fremington I think, fantastic boots.

I walk the dog in all weathers and I'm on my second pair as its more economical to just buy a new pair rather than spend £60 having the old ones re-sold and I'm not sure that Altberg do a resoling service now anyway.

My current boots cost me £135 from Ebay last year just before Lockdown Feb 2020 thin they retail at about £180 but even at retail they're worth every penny.

This the key. I’ve used Scarpa for 30 years now because they do a last that fits my feet perfectly ( 47but narrow). I had to chuck a beautiful old leather pair because my right foot has lengthened due to a fallen arch, possibly following injury

That's interesting. I get Scarpa boots and shoes because they have a last that suits wide fitting feet.

If your going to be doing a lot of walking in winter i'd recommend something like the boot below, you can walk through fairly deep puddle without your feet getting wet. There are also boots with integrated PVC chaps for deeper water, handy for wading through deeper puddles.

cd3355280c4870208e95434a4c45b4a8.jpg

iu

The more I look into this, the more baffled I am. One thing of note, why do all hiking/walking Boots look so bloody ugly.

If your going to be doing a lot of walking in winter i'd recommend something like the boot below, you can walk through fairly deep puddle without your feet getting wet. There are also boots with integrated PVC chaps for deeper water, handy for wading through deeper puddles.

cd3355280c4870208e95434a4c45b4a8.jpg

iu

Gerraway,

advertisement

Back