advertisement

Voter suppression: UK Voter ID

It shouldn’t be a partisan thing. If you believe in the basic concept of democracy you believe in the basic concept of democracy. If someone is permanently living and paying tax somewhere then they deserve full representation. The political right always fear democracy as they know there is never a legitimate mandate for their ideology. They will never win on a level playing field. Their gerrymandering is their argument to make. I believe in a full proportional democracy and accountability. I have absolutely nothing to fear from anyone being allowed a voice.
The other irony, of course, is that wealthy non-doms and oligarchs, media moguls, and similar have hugely disproportionate levels of 'representation' (whether or not they can vote) despite neither paying taxes, nor being resident nor, in some cases, even being citizens. If we are arguing for levelling the playing field, maybe we should start there?

Of course it's an assertion. The leverage would be to become a citizen. I don't think it unreasonable to restrict people who've chosen to maintain a separate national interest from influencing UK national interest.
I can agree with this POV up to a point but, as in my immediately preceding post, observe that this is far from the case currently.
I think it would be reasonable to simplify the path to citizenship if it is actually too expensive and difficult. But my impression from some posts on Twitter (so obviously authoritative) is that many who moan on these grounds are actually not fully committed to the UK.
I don't know what Twitter comments you are referring to, so can't meaningfully engage with this, but if you are saying that people who complain about the cost of citizenship are not fully committed to becoming citizens, I don't think that's a logical inference.
My history is hazy, but IIRC the franchise was extended to all men over 21 after WW1 as a consequence of the sacrifices, people expected to die for their country should get a say in how it is run, and also to older women with property. Thus establishing an approximate political balance. No 'gerrymandering' there.
Why only 'older' women, and why only those 'with property'? Does this not strike you as some way from equitable. And on what grounds is this an 'approximate political balance'. It would be reasonable to assume that an older woman with property would be more likely to vote Conservative than Liberal or <shudders> Labour. Where's the balance there? Does this not smack, even if only slightly, of 'gerrymandering'?

Did you know that the minimum age for marriage has just risen from 16 to 18? I think if you want to reduce the voting age to 16 you need to bring everything into line. Marriage, contracts, gambling, drinking, voting, sentencing. Just advocating for voting looks a lot like seeking to achieve electoral advantage without addressing any hard questions of what being an adult should mean.
This isn't the argument you think it is. Until this year, parental consent was required for 16 & 17 year olds to marry. 16 & 17 year olds were never regarded as legal adults. The new act (see here) is mostly an attempt to prevent forced marriages before people reach legal adulthood.

All of which is merely academic, because voting isn't marriage. For instance, unlike marriage, when it comes to voting there is no need to protect people from potential harms. Voting is a matter of having enough understanding of the world to apply it. Similarly, the medical age of consent is 16 or lower - the test is Gillick competence not legal adulthood.

In short, there is no need 'to bring everything into line' at 18. Different things require different norms.

Ignorance and illiteracy are not a crime. Not everyone gets the education you received. In the multi-cultural area I live vast numbers will not have Tory-approved ID as their religion bans alcohol and they won’t have the income to own a car. Of course you knew this. It was the whole point and Rees Mogg finally admitted it.
You're guessing. It would be interesting to see some evidence.

This, Sales restricted products - Co-op (coop.co.uk) is the Co-Ops guidelines on age-restricted products. Not all these are restricted by law. I'd be really surprised if most young people of whatever background didn't have Id, and weren't prepared to show it regularly.

PS If I have “lied” please correct me.
Pretty much everything you've written about me personally in this thread is a lie. You know this because you don't actually know anything about me.

I don't know what Twitter comments you are referring to, so can't meaningfully engage with this, but if you are saying that people who complain about the cost of citizenship are not fully committed to becoming citizens, I don't think that's a logical inference.
It was a random thread in the aftermath of Jacob Ress Mogg's comments. Someone complaining they weren't allowed to vote and it was too expensive and they planned to return 'home' in some years.

Why only 'older' women, and why only those 'with property'? Does this not strike you as some way from equitable. And on what grounds is this an 'approximate political balance'. It would be reasonable to assume that an older woman with property would be more likely to vote Conservative than Liberal or <shudders> Labour. Where's the balance there? Does this not smack, even if only slightly, of 'gerrymandering'?
It's completely inequitable. But it's what happened. It's interesting that the first time Labour gained the most seats in an election was 1929, after the franchise was extended to all over 21.

Pretty much everything you've written about me personally in this thread is a lie. You know this because you don't actually know anything about me.

I’ve not stated anything you haven’t brought to my website. Pretty much every off topic room post you have made on pfm that isn’t F1 related has been some fringe-nutter climate science denial, right-wing Brexit defence (though you’ve gone very quiet there now it has so obviously failed), along with various elitist snipes, digs and punches downward towards those you feel are less educated than you (evidenced on this very thread). It’s all but a simple search away for anyone who doubts me. Many hundreds of posts.

This isn't the argument you think it is. Until this year, parental consent was required for 16 & 17 year olds to marry. 16 & 17 year olds were never regarded as legal adults. The new act (see here) is mostly an attempt to prevent forced marriages before people reach legal adulthood.

All of which is merely academic, because voting isn't marriage. For instance, unlike marriage, when it comes to voting there is no need to protect people from potential harms. Voting is a matter of having enough understanding of the world to apply it. Similarly, the medical age of consent is 16 or lower - the test is Gillick competence not legal adulthood.

In short, there is no need 'to bring everything into line' at 18. Different things require different norms.
I don't think it's an argument, I was surprised to find it, it passed me by, someone mentioned 16 up thread. Anyway let's hope it works.

If having enough understanding of the world is the metric then why 16? Why not 14, 13, 12? You could set a literacy or cognitive bar, a voting test like a driving test.

Or you could just establish 18 as the age of adulthood and all get the right regardless of competency and understanding of the world. It seems about right on average. And it's clear some elderly tory voters fail the understanding test.

It's completely inequitable. But it's what happened. It's interesting that the first time Labour gained the most seats in an election was 1929, after the franchise was extended to all over 21.
It's interesting, but it's not gerrymandering, clearly. If anything, it suggests that it has unpicked previous voter suppression and levelled the playing field. And, in so doing, has allowed left wing politics to reflect the wishes of the electorate for the first time. You think a similar objective, proposed now for other unrepresented minorities is morally equivalent to voter suppression. We will have to agree to disagree.

I’ve not stated anything you haven’t brought to my website. Pretty much every off topic room post you have made on pfm that isn’t F1 related has been some fringe-nutter climate science denial, right-wing Brexit defence (though you’ve gone very quiet there now it has so obviously failed), along with various elitist snipes, digs and punches downward towards those you feel are less educated than you (evidenced on this very thread). It’s all but a simple search away for anyone who doubts me. Many hundreds of posts.
I don't post here very often because the environment you foster is toxic.

I don't deny climate science, or any science. Obviously, it's a vile accusation you throw casually. I don't know what you mean by 'right wing Brexit defence', unless wanting more democratic accountability is somehow right wing now. So all that's left is occasional snark at people who don't bother to read.

It's interesting, but it's not gerrymandering, clearly. If anything, it suggests that it has unpicked previous voter suppression and levelled the playing field. And, in so doing, has allowed left wing politics to reflect the wishes of the electorate for the first time. You think a similar objective, proposed now for other unrepresented minorities is morally equivalent to voter suppression. We will have to agree to disagree.
I don't think it's safe to draw simple analogies with the past, when the Liberals were dying, Labour was growing and just prior to the biggest general election upset ever.

Extending the franchise downwards in age is not analogous to extending it across gender or racial boundaries. IMO. And I'm quite sure Labour wouldn't propose it if they didn't see an electoral advantage. But I don't think it's a big deal since politicians who attempt to manipulate the public, or take them for granted, usually get a surprise sooner or later.

Extending the franchise downwards in age is not analogous to extending it across gender or racial boundaries. IMO. And I'm quite sure Labour wouldn't propose it if they didn't see an electoral advantage. But I don't think it's a big deal since politicians who attempt to manipulate the public, or take them for granted, usually get a surprise sooner or later.
Where do you stand on PR vs FPTP? Adopting PR would also be likely to improve the electoral chances of Labour and/or LibDems, and both parties have expressed an interest in change to this. Is that gerrymandering? Is it morally equivalent to voter ID too?

Of course it's an assertion. The leverage would be to become a citizen. I don't think it unreasonable to restrict people who've chosen to maintain a separate national interest from influencing UK national interest. I think it would be reasonable to simplify the path to citizenship if it is actually too expensive and difficult. But my impression from some posts on Twitter (so obviously authoritative) is that many who moan on these grounds are actually not fully committed to the UK.

starship-troopers.gif

Nearly 10,000 missed votes to save .......how many voter fraud convictions were there last time?

Mind you, if they were mostly confused elderly tories as some think then not really a problem.

Jacob Rees-Mogg Admits Tory Voter ID Law Was 'Gerrymandering'

(Huffington Post).

Dear Tony,

Thank you for the link. Is there a crime of Gerrymandering? If so would it be the Crown Prosecution Service or the Police who bring charges?

I think people who approved this policy should be banned from public office.

Best wishes from George

Thank you for the link. Is there a crime of Gerrymandering? If so would it be the Crown Prosecution Service or the Police who bring charges?

Sadly the way things work a UK government define the law. If a gerrymandering strategy such as FPTP, voter ID etc clears both houses it becomes law and there is little we can do. The Good Law Project are attempting to challenge it, and I suspect Rees Mogg’s admission will make that easier. That is our best hope at present anyway.

advertisement

Back