advertisement

Vinyl Passion Krown platter for LP12

Yes it’s strange that it works on some and not others. Must be that some have a slightly variable weight distribution in the platter material I guess.

A couple of gentlemen have rotated the outer platter of their LP12's around the inner platter and declare that they slightly prefer it in one spot over another..they detect a slight difference.That in no way can lead to the conclusion that there must be a difference in the weight distribution of the metal in the platter. What sounds more likely ; that a lathe turned billet of metal precision machined weighs so much more on one side than the other that it it sounds better in one position rather than another or that perception bias is at play ?

How come those strange phenomena are always about the LP12?
Seriously? Are LP12 owners bewitched in some way?
Because frankly, at 33.33 rpm, this doesn’t make any mechanical sense.
I’ll put me Thorens on.:)

The laquer you use, is it high gloss? How do you prepare the surface before spraying?

A couple of gentlemen have rotated the outer platter of their LP12's around the inner platter and declare that they slightly prefer it in one spot over another..they detect a slight difference.That in no way can lead to the conclusion that there must be a difference in the weight distribution of the metal in the platter.

The other possible explanation is that the mating surface on the underside of the platter is not flat. This is not just a possibility but a fact as I've seen it myself on a platter which was ultimately deemed faulty and replaced by Linn. As the metal is relatively soft and quite thin at that point it's not all that surprising.

The point is that even slight variations in those mating surfaces could result in the two platters behaving differently depending on how they were fitted together.

Although I personally think it's mostly perception bias ;0)

Undoubtedly. The defect would have to be so huge as to be visible to the naked eye. And given the slip mat variable thickness, plus its inability to support the record properly, I’d say this is the result of linnophiles’ imagination (and creativity). I’m not even certain this makes them happy.
We Thorens and Technics people don’t have a lot of it I’m afraid ;)

Mazak/Zamak are alloys of zinc, aluminium, magnesium and copper. if anyone ever wanted to develop an alloy that would gather surface oxide (corrode/dull), this might be top of the list to try.

The group of Mazak alloys are easy to cast and are stable. It is easily plated and painted. Both the inner and outer platter on mine have balancing marks - slight but obvious areas where small amounts of metal have be removed with a wheel of some kind, to remove mass.

My LP12 has been with me for something like 30 years and the outer rim of the platter is moderately uniform semi-matt grey - I have always "flicked" it when starting it.

Where/in what do people live if there's really such an objectionable state to the platter?

Undoubtedly. The defect would have to be so huge as to be visible to the naked eye. And given the slip mat variable thickness, plus its inability to support the record properly, I’d say this is the result of linnophiles’ imagination (and creativity). I’m not even certain this makes them happy.
We Thorens and Technics people don’t have a lot of it I’m afraid ;)

No, nobody has ever modified a Technics or Thorens lol

".....My LP12 has been with me for something like 30 years and the outer rim of the platter is moderately uniform semi-matt grey...." @Vinny

Similar here, no need to polish - just leads to never ending polishing paranoia. gentle wipe with slightly damp cloth every now and then does the job for me :)

edit: damp cloth relates to platter, not me :D

A couple of gentlemen have rotated the outer platter of their LP12's around the inner platter and declare that they slightly prefer it in one spot over another..they detect a slight difference.That in no way can lead to the conclusion that there must be a difference in the weight distribution of the metal in the platter. What sounds more likely ; that a lathe turned billet of metal precision machined weighs so much more on one side than the other that it it sounds better in one position rather than another or that perception bias is at play ?

Probably both are true...

advertisement

Back