advertisement

Vinyl Passion Krown platter for LP12

[Just asking what the OP asked...]

Has anyone had any experience with the VINYL PASSION KROWN outer platter for the LINN LP12?

Looks very interesting...

237037_51616b5ccd37462aa9fa30e2002c3b7d~mv2_d_3606_1956_s_2.jpg

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. Just the same as after market wheels on a car, do they stop it being a Ford etc?

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. Just the same as after market wheels on a car, do they stop it being a Ford etc?

Depends how many parts you replace. I mean if you spend absolutely loads upgrading you ... Could just buy a better turntable

If you want to try polishing it, all you need is some Solvol Autosol, some microfibre cloths and some elbow grease. Once polished, seal it with a coat or two of car wax polish and buff off.

[Just asking what the OP asked...]

Has anyone had any experience with the VINYL PASSION KROWN outer platter for the LINN LP12?

Looks very interesting...

237037_51616b5ccd37462aa9fa30e2002c3b7d~mv2_d_3606_1956_s_2.jpg
I have actually heard one at the Wam show last year. Like everything else tho' how could I judge it when all the gear was strange to me including the TT since it also was modded a fair bit with Vinyl passion stuff & an arm that I'd not seen on a Linn before ( some classic old design can't remember the name off).

I wondered what the screws/allen bolts were doing on the outer periphery. This came evident when I looked at it at the show. Maybe obvious to some but when looking at not so obvious. This holds the outer ring in place but is actually a very tight fit. In comparison to the standard platter it is pretty much dead when tapped.

This of course comes with a money back guarantee & if kept a refund of £100 is offered on giving up your Linn platter to them.

Here’s a related daft question. Out of all the the turntables I’ve had over the last 48 years the four Sondeks have all had the the tightest inner/outer platter fit.

Now this perceived tightness could be related to the thickness of the outer platter surface meaning it has to be “flat” in relation to the inner hub when fitting it.

So I guess the question is what’s the gap between the outer and inner platters when together or what’s the outer dia of the inner platter (hub) and the inside dia of the outer platter.

I never had a set of calipers when I had the decks to measure it and now I have the calipers I don’t have the deck:D.

Thinking back not sure if it could be measured by a set of feeler gauges either but it’s twenty years since I had one!

On another note just noticed some recommendation on playing with the outer platter position from Collaro. Suggesting rotating it's position with respect to the inner platter can produce the best sound from the deck in an ideal position. Anyone come across this (just off to give it a try)?
Yep, been there done that, it’s called ‘clocking’, it takes sometime to do properly and it worked for me. When completed, try turning the mat over and doing it all again, then repeat with the original mat. I settled for the Collaro mat printed side up. Checked this with the Cirkus and then with the Karousel bearing. Tedious or what, good job for lockdown lol.

Here’s a related daft question. Out of all the the turntables I’ve had over the last 48 years the four Sondeks have all had the the tightest inner/outer platter fit.

They vary. A friend of mine bought a brand new outer platter and it would not fit onto the old inner platter he had. Linn were going to sort out out but he had access to a machine that could skim a little off the platter. It's not a problem I've encountered. I've put a new platters on old inners and they've been fine but it seems issues can happen.

Yep, been there done that, it’s called ‘clocking’, it takes sometime to do properly and it worked for me. When completed, try turning the mat over and doing it all again, then repeat with the original mat. I settled for the Collaro mat printed side up. Checked this with the Cirkus and then with the Karousel bearing. Tedious or what, good job for lockdown lol.
I tried it. Not as fastidious as yourself but gave it a quick 10-15 min try in 4 to 5 positions. Couldn't really hear any difference. The mat did not come into play as using a Ringmat.

I tried it. Not as fastidious as yourself but gave it a quick 10-15 min try in 4 to 5 positions. Couldn't really hear any difference. The mat did not come into play as using a Ringmat.

it seems to work with some platters but it didn’t with mine, 1991 origin.

When my Karousel was fitted, the outer platter wouldn’t fit, despite being only 10 years old or so, and despite quite a bit of lanishing(?), so I had to out a new one on, which was OK as the old one was getting cruddy.
Clearly, there is some tolerance erring on the side of interference.

Have Linn amended the tolerances? Surely the od and id of the respective parts shouldn’t have changed over the years, the hole for the latest spindle makes sense but the other dims should be identical in line with their upgrade philosophy!

advertisement

Back