advertisement

Vinyl Passion Krown platter for LP12

per-Sony-fied

Me in another jacket
Been thinking that my outer platter is lacking it's luster these days due to age & therefore either needs a refurbish (none to sure what the best method is) or a change. A new Linn platter is the obvious candidate or Vinyl passion's Krown platter which looks quite smart & interesting. I can't find any reviews on this so I don't know how popular it is or if it is worth the extra. Anyone heard one?

How much is a replacement Linn outer platter? My understanding was that it was quite reasonably priced.

That actually looks like a total bargain given how expensive the LP12 has got over time. The platter has to be by far the most expensive part of the thing (along with the inner platter) and I’d not think twice about paying that if I had a tatty one. In fact I don’t think it was much different 20+ years ago when I did buy one!

PS IIRC Roksan charge £75 for a rubber band.

That actually looks like a total bargain given how expensive the LP12 has got over time. The platter has to be by far the most expensive part of the thing (along with the inner platter) and I’d not think twice about paying that if I had a tatty one. In fact I don’t think it was much different 20+ years ago when I did buy one!

PS IIRC Roksan charge £75 for a rubber band.

I've really spent out on my Sondek over the last 2.5 months (think I must be mad :)) or so, so if I could save a bit of cash I would by having it re-lacquered. If possible to do ones self or take it somewhere to have done cheaper than new.

Just had the thought of the Krown as if it needed changing wondered if would be better.

Gosh, ‘per-Sony-fied’, my LP12 is original apart from a Valhalla board being fitted after a couple of years.
I’ve never felt the need to constantly upgrade.
I just play records and enjoy the music.
But if that’s what you enjoy spending your money on, fair enough...

The linn outer platter is the best value part of the deck, and also the least changed over time. I use one on my kuzma, with the lip ground off.

If that is the price of a linn platter, I suspect they may be making them different. Used to be cast in Mazak and then machined in stages to allow for distortion - a lot of work
I wonder if your platter could be blasted with walnut shell or some similar media

Gosh, ‘per-Sony-fied’, my LP12 is original apart from a Valhalla board being fitted after a couple of years.
I’ve never felt the need to constantly upgrade.
I just play records and enjoy the music.
But if that’s what you enjoy spending your money on, fair enough...

I can assure you wasn't really intentional as previous to all this it just sat quietly in the corner with the occasional play of an LP side. Streaming & SACD having taken it's place.

It has however had many upgrades over it's life span of ownership. It was the Karousel that got me interested after finding one at a reduced price. Once purchased then found I needed a new subchassis to fit it lol! All escalated from there :eek:
This will be final I'm pretty sure at least for a very long time.

On another note just noticed some recommendation on playing with the outer platter position from Collaro. Suggesting rotating it's position with respect to the inner platter can produce the best sound from the deck in a ideal position. Anyone come across this (just off to give it a try)?

A local metal finishing company would probably polish it for you for a donation to the tea boat. Once done it would only be an occasional 5 mins with brasso/Goddards or similar to bring it back up.

On another note just noticed some recommendation on playing with the outer platter position from Collaro. Suggesting rotating it's position with respect to the inner platter can produce the best sound from the deck in a ideal position. Anyone come across this (just off to give it a try)?

Considering the two parts are cnc machined to very high tolerance I'd be amazed if there was any run-out, certainly there's none in the subplatter, I've had one on the CMM probe of a suppliers metrology booth and run out on that lip is smaller than the gap between the pass of the cnc tool on the finish pass.

Maybe people have dropped outer platters, but otherwise that's an old wives tale.

Yer but a couple hours work by hand saves you top side of £200. Surely worth the effort. I did my AR XA outer platter, which isn't perfect, but decent enough and if an idler (no pun intended) like me can do it, anyone can. The polish depends on the metal, but T-cut should do it.

It's noteworthy that while Linn have upgraded and improved almost every part of the LP12 the outer platter is essentially the same as it always was. My bet is that they've looked at it and can't find anything better.

Bear in mind that the sale of the old platter will cover half of the cost of a new one.

It's noteworthy that while Linn have upgraded and improved almost every part of the LP12 the outer platter is essentially the same as it always was. My bet is that they've looked at it and can't find anything better.

Bear in mind that the sale of the old platter will cover half of the cost of a new one.

That had crossed my mind earlier this evening whilst I was chasing around for my house keys (another story). However not to sure what s/h platters go for in less than pristine condition & whom would want such an old platter. It's one of the few remaining original parts.

advertisement

Back