advertisement

Very near to the wall speaker recommendations

Kralk Audio Bc-30s and Kans will fit on these Sound Org. wall brackets perfectly :)

So would Proac Tablette 10 and Spendor S3/5.

I think Spendor 3/5 might be a bit bass heavy so close to the wall, but ProAc should be perfect.

Target also made similar wall brackets, they actually place the speaker a bit further from wall (they are perhaps 25 or 30 cm long) and are 16 cm in width.

I think Spendor Classic 4/5 should work better close to wall (I have a pair currently waiting to clear customs office!).
They are also same dimension as S3/5 (~19cm D x ~16cm W) - but reversed, same as LS3/5a (~16cm D x ~19cm W).

Edit:
Spendor S3/5 would not fit Sound Organisation brackets perfectly. Tablette 10 or Spendor 4/5 would.

Target wall brackets are better for S3/5.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
5 feet, I can't recall whether they are OK with corners.
WWh2TFYl.jpg
I recall that they are recommended to be kept at least 50cm away from corners.

Ruark have been mentioned, any of there front ported designs would be happy.
( Note the Talisman mkiii is rear ported so not a goer )

How about the mighty AE1? Ideal I would have thought.

As mentioned above, the Larsen’s are best kept out of corners, they can get a bit boomy and staging becomes less defined and more muddled.

I lived with a pair of Larsen 4.2’s for almost five years, and enjoyed every bit of my time with them. Setup was fairly simple, and they just made great music. A fit and forget speaker for the long haul really.

Many other great suggestions in the thread, usual subjects, Kans, etc. Another vote too for any of the Guru, Juniors or QM 10’s. I’ve had a pair of Juniors for quite a few years too, terrific little speaker, maybe not the last word on fine detail, but they sure do give a nice punch. I think they might out-Kan the Kan!

It's worth mentioning that if you like Kans you're unlikely to like a lot of these suggestions. Ruark speakers are nothing like Kans. Credos are nothing like as good as Kans. They're pretty crap actually.

Totem Arros, very slim floorstanders will work well close to the wall as long as you can keep them out of the corners.
Various models from Neat, Iota, etc
Shahinian Compass.
Audionote work well even in the corners.
Klipsch Heresy and Forte and some of the larger models though very big physically.
Perhaps some of the new Fyne Classic or vintage range, similarly some of the Classic Tannoys.
I've never heard any of the Larsen models but they're at least one make of speakers that are designed to work in conjunction with placement 'against' the wall, got to be worth a listen?
I suppose there will be other considerations, price , finish and if the OPs other half doesn't particularly like speaker stands (and why would they) perhaps better to look at floorstanders within budget as a starting point.
Good Luck!

Totem Arros, very slim floorstanders will work well close to the wall as long as you can keep them out of the corners.
Various models from Neat, Iota, etc
Shahinian Compass.
Audionote work well even in the corners.
Klipsch Heresy and Forte and some of the larger models though very big physically.i'd want them
Perhaps some of the new Fyne Classic or vintage range, similarly some of the Classic Tannoys.
I've never heard any of the Larsen models but they're at least one make of speakers that are designed to work in conjunction with placement 'against' the wall, got to be worth a listen?
I suppose there will be other considerations, price , finish and if the OPs other half doesn't particularly like speaker stands (and why would they) perhaps better to look at floorstanders within budget as a starting point.
Good Luck!

I'd agree with almost every word of that, except...

My old Shahinian Compasses still sound great. However, with different sources in 3 different rooms, with and without carpet and with and without a lump of granite to sit on, they always wanted a bit of space. You wouldn't think so to look at them, and it was not an issue if one only plays quietly, but I'd want a foot between them and a solid wall behind them.

Last edited:
I'd agree with almost every word of that, except...

My old Shahinian Compasses still sound great. However, with different sources in 3 different rooms, with a without carpet and with and without a lump of granite to sit on, they always wanted a bit of space. You wouldn't think so to look at them, and it was not an issue if one only plays quietly, but I'd want a foot between them and a solid wall behind them.

Maybe that's where I went wrong. I had a pair for a while, maybe six months, and although I did really like them there was always something missing, perhaps I should of experimented more with room positioning.

Given the ridiculously low second hand prices nowadays, SBLs. Care when setting them up though and budget for a new gasket kit. I just bought a set for under £400. Lovely things.
Totally seconded. SBLs are capable of making great, clear, true-to-life music. And in spite of urban legends, are actually some fun to set up.

NHT SuperOne 2.1. Although they are better away from the wall. Other speakers that work are Rega Ela and basically any Royd speaker. According to a brochure I have their smaller speakers are designed to go 1¾" from the rear wall.
Totems - Arros or Skys.
Absolutely not the Sky. The Arros can get about 8 inches away from the wall. Sky needs more like a foot to perform properly.

I’ve been through a similar demand from my wife and instead of speakers on stands I actually bought some ATC speakers from their HTS (Home theatre Series) these are designed to work ON the wall, with crossovers adjusted to suit and cabinets made slimmer and wider, but sound the same.

I also chased the wires into the walls and both this and the speakers earned me huge brownie points and they sound awesome too - I also have a small sub in the corner.

https://atc.audio/hi-fi/loudspeakers/hts-on-wall/hts11/

Another brilliant option would be a Lyngdorf system with on wall speakers, a single or twin discreet BH2 subwoofers and their Room Perfect software. You’d be set.

A very big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond with their advice . A lot for me to investigate which i intend to do , no rush as music room will be serving as a bedroom until necessary decorating is completed , Proac 10 are serving duties in the awkward lounge for now with the Kans to try . I quite like the idea of Larsen 4.2 or the newer 4.3 version but no dealers anywhere near me (north East Norfolk) . Would be grateful if anyone reasonably near has any Larsens i could have a listen to . Will also keep my eye on the Sound Organization wall brackets on Ebay for the Kans . Will also keep my eye out for any Kralk BC30 popping up for sale and Sbl in anything but black ash . Lyngdorf is an amplifier route i may go down in the long term future . Wife is visiting her mum in Margate for a week this coming weekend, this will give a me chance to mess around with speakers/placement and amps .:)

A very big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond with their advice . A lot for me to investigate which i intend to do , no rush as music room will be serving as a bedroom until necessary decorating is completed , Proac 10 are serving duties in the awkward lounge for now with the Kans to try . I quite like the idea of Larsen 4.2 or the newer 4.3 version but no dealers anywhere near me (north East Norfolk) . Would be grateful if anyone reasonably near has any Larsens i could have a listen to . Will also keep my eye on the Sound Organization wall brackets on Ebay for the Kans . Will also keep my eye out for any Kralk BC30 popping up for sale and Sbl in anything but black ash . Lyngdorf is an amplifier route i may go down in the long term future . Wife is visiting her mum in Margate for a week this coming weekend, this will give a me chance to mess around with speakers/placement and amps .:)
just up the road from me in metropolitan norwich!

Its not the Kan look the wife dislikes its the stands

If you can find a pair of BC30s (Mk 2 pref) with the PAW stands they look great. At least mine do. They also improve the speaker's already fab performance (they're passive bass drivers).

advertisement

Back