advertisement

Vaccine recipients....

First jab early Jan, 15 days later symptoms appear although negative lateral flow test, next day positive flow test confirmed by PCR next day. 17 days off sick (and I don’t do sick!), and still have cough.

Remember, it ain’t 100% guaranteed, but hope with both jabs and antibodies that I’m well covered now!

Well, you're a first; that I've heard of, read of and on this long thread. If very early Jan. (must be, surely) it was prob. the Pfizer one. The coincidence of your contracting Covid during the week or two before the vac. kicks in is very unfortunate indeed. Your second shot is still way before the 12 week gap though.

I had mine last week. By the early evening I got the shivers which seem to be quite common. My HiFi room is always roasting, yet I was lying on the floor in a ski jacket and a duvet over me to try and keep warm.
Around 9pm I got really hot, took a few paracetamol but by 11pm my temp was 104. By 3.30am I was fine, off to bed, woke up the next day a bit achy but grand...

Well, you're a first; that I've heard of, read of and on this long thread. If very early Jan. (must be, surely) it was prob. the Pfizer one. The coincidence of your contracting Covid during the week or two before the vac. kicks in is very unfortunate indeed. Your second shot is still way before the 12 week gap though.

As stated, it was was early January and was the Pfizer, so I like to think it may have suppressed some of the symptoms, because as much as I love my work and work colleagues, I really didn’t want to be on the receiving end of their excellent care!
As a frontline worker our booking system allowed us to book from Monday 8th March onwards as after a 2 week hiatus I’m assuming most staff had received their first jab. Was probably down to good timing that I booked the second for day 1 - only some 9 weeks later (longer than the original gap, but shorter than newer guidelines), but we certainly seem to have a well organised, equipped, stocked and staffed system. Hope the same is similar for most.

I imagine the protocol might well be different if you have an actual history of anaphylaxis, though.
Indeed. Before my AZ vaccination I was asked (i) any previous anaphylaxis? and (ii) are you driving? The algorithm appears to be that answers of "no" and "no" means you don't have to wait, otherwise you should. I didn't have to wait.

Been into town today [one mile each way on foot] to get grocery. I like Bromyard. Impossible not to meet people you know and like. Really the cusp between a town and large rural village.

In Pump Street, opposite the GP practice is the main bus stop, and parked there was the Hereford bus and I know the driver who was on it [420 service between Worcester and Hereford], so was able to make sure my Tuesday bus would run. During the lock-down the service has been much reduced, but they are running the full day-time service again now. The service still stops in the early evening.

Suitably distanced we discussed the injection, and my driver friend had his a while ago. I asked him how it went and he told me that he was quite knocked out for four days. He also told me that the doctor said this was likely because he had most likely had Covid as an asymptomatic case. Not exactly unlikely that you are likely to be exposed as a bus driver, and same for me serving fuel in a petrol station. Twelve months ago I was ill and self-isolating and at the time posted this little thread about animals, which really are my passion beside classical music.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/very-calm-foal.238679/#post-3929158

Anyway, I had the lack of smell, temperature, muscle and joint aches, and a shortness of breath ... and several horrible - terrifying actually - coughing fits. Also the Friday before the Sunday, I had extreme difficulty doing the change, and had to restart several times during the evening, but otherwise felt fine. Confusion is one of rarer symptoms. On the Sunday I rang 111, and they wanted to collect me in an ambulance there and then. I declined that kind offer saying that If I thought I was going to suffocate, I'd ring 999. We left it like that and I stayed at home, and was off for eighteen days ... Not Covid tested, because there no tests except for hospital admission then ...

I wonder if I shall get a significant reaction, lasting perhaps for days. I have planned ahead, and as it is the end of the holiday year, I have cleared my shifts for six days, only one shift actually as it goes.

With me luck! Best wishes from George

PS This will be my first trip in a bus since September 2019! Apart from escaping in a hired car in August 2020, the vaccination trip will be only my third trip out of Bromyard in eighteen plus months. The time has flown. It does not seem more than the blink of an eye since we were still in the old normal.

Last edited:
I think AZ is much more common - just a lot more doses bought and made in the UK. Pfizer does seem to have fewer side effects, but it is a different technology. If I could have had a choice I would have gone Pfizer. Some Doctors I hear about prefer the AZ as more 'known' tech.

Pfizer do seem, now, to have fewer side effects. +But what will be the position in 2 years, 20 years+ (or more)?

No one, no expert, knows the answer .

We are faced with the risk/benefit equation when deciding: 1) whether to get vaccinated; 2) which vaccine.

Most have no choice. I had Pfizer. I wanted AZ... I was prejudiced in favour of an Oxford researched vac.

However, I would like to see research on benefits of having my second jab from a different source... and be given a choice. I think this unlikely.

I am lucky to get ANY second shot.

advertisement

Back