advertisement

Very calm foal.

George J

Herefordshire member

Here is the story of my mare and two foals - just as gentle and kind as this little sweetheart:-

Back in about 1971, on a farm in Herefordshire, we had a filly, about a yearling, running with the cattle. She was completely unhandled, and so not at all friendly to humans. I was nine, and by patience [and I am very good with animals from poultry, geese, sheep and cattle, and especially dogs] I soon had the youngster completely tame, but only tame with me! Because she was so calm with me it was no issue to put a halter on her, and she would follow me around without in any case. Nobody else could get near her, but I would easily pat her, lead her by the forelock or ever just lead her as she would happily just follow, ... I think she enjoyed the attention.

When she was three it was time for breaking. She was terrified of my father [who was totally hopeless with animals], so when it came time to bridle her, as an eleven year old I went into the stable and simply bridled her. She did the normal thing and shook the bit about, but absolutely no panic. Next day I bridled her first and saddled her.. Of course she was completely used to me patting her on the back [even picking her front feet up] so I started stroking and patting her and then carefully slide the saddle without the beauty hardly noticing it. The part that almost spooked her was tightening up the girth, but patience and ten minutes later it was if she was an old hand! Next day tacking her up was like it was the thousandth time, so I led her out into the yard, and being a small eleven year old and a a fifteen two thoroughbred, I had to get her by the stone steps up to the back door to get up. Once aboard she shuffled and threw her head about a little, but no excitements. Then the old man came out and off we went before he could grab the reins! Okay once round the corner though. She made no effort to fight me, no effort to throw me, and seemed to understand how to stop with soft words and gentle pull on the rein ... It was a magic moment. We both had some inner trust that knew absolutely that neither would hurt the other ...

I walked her out to the back field, about five acres with good hedges and no wire, and we soon progressed from walking to trotting and then cantering over the next few days. Galloping would wait! She was a real treasure. Her name was Faro, and a perfect dark bay with absolutely no white anywhere. Well the old man thought that if it was that easy [and I had told him to keep away], then he would have a go. And yes, it is fair to say that she threw him off immediately, cantered off, and broke the rein. Came back to me though. Before the old man could catch up, I jumped on board, so the old man would not and then thrash her. I don't really think she was ever actually what you might call "broken" as such. Though she would let the old man near her in time, she took a delight in making a huge jump over fences that would unseat the old man every time. I believe he was frightened of her. Most people thought she was a bit feisty, so when she was clipped or the blacksmith came to shoe her, I was always there and she relaxed almost to sleep sometimes. In the evening she would lay down and she was so calm I could sit by her and lean on her shoulder ...
________

A few years later she was put to the stallion, and of course I took care of her before and after work every day till the foal [another dark bay with one white sock] was born. I knew perfectly well the night the foal would come. You do when you have been round cows and ewes. So the day of it I was up and about two hours before breakfast and walked out to the big pasture she was in. She saw, and came full pelt over to the gate! I went into the field quite aware that somewhere must be the foal. The mare and I walked down to the new-born and [with the mare's complete trust] I spoke gently to and stroked the foal in its first hours! At breakfast I told my father the foal was a filly and up and suckling. All good. He was very angry when I told that I had already handled the foal, who soon became just as quiet as Faro with me. Mares can be astonishingly protective and dangerous with a new born foal. I had never considered that, and she was just as kind when the second foal was born, but only with me. A month or two later Faro had to go to stud again, and I had to try to get her into the cattle lorry. As I led them toward the ramp, I fell over. I had an infected hip [though I did not know it, except it was very painful], and I could not get up. Now instead of running away Faro decided this was serious. Unfortunately she had shoes on, so what she did next could have been quite serious. She gently rolled me over with her head, and started to try to get me up, pawing with her one front leg. Of course my brother soon realised something was wrong and came to the mare and led her away. I was put in the back of the pick-up, and was soon in hospital for tests. Suspected Leukeamia ... Anyway when the second foal came a year later I was duly introduced, and so we had a family trio. The second foal was a light bay, and was a flighty character. Not remotely like her mother or sister, but still happy to let me catch her.
________

After my fall I was ill for weeks, though it turned out the white blood cell count was from infection rather than the big C. The mare was really my horse, and not really anyone else' but she was fond of my girlfriend, and sometimes we would swap when out on the nags! The mare only had one jump in her. I think she judged any fence as being about a five foot high hedge, even though they might only be a round pole four foot off the ground! I never came off over a fence with her, but once had a pretty good horse to horse crash with my girl friend. Both of us on the ground, her pony gone across the fields and Faro hanging around waiting for me to get going again. I have three lovely pictures of her with the foals at different times. I expect you can tell that she was my friend. I still think of her now forty and fifty years on.
________

I have made friends with horses since, but never like the old mare Faro and her two foals, because these horses belonged to other people. But horses and dogs have a real sense of a kindly person. Once they first come to you and gain confidence they know no fear at all, and simply have trust. Between 1984 and 1997 I had a Welsh Collie dog [imaginitively called Fred] who definitely was only my dog. But once I showed friendship to any visitor he accepted them as family. Again this a question of trust.

On the whole I find few humans nearly as kind as the best animals, and your average animal beats your average human by a country mile.

Best wishes from George

Last edited:

Here is the story of my mare and two foals - just as gentle and kind as this little sweetheart:-

Back in about 1971, on a farm in Herefordshire, we had a filly, about a yearling, running with the cattle. She was completely unhandled, and so not at all friendly to humans. I was nine, and by patience [and I am very good with animals from poultry, geese, sheep and cattle, and especially dogs] I soon had the youngster completely tame, but only tame with me! Because she was so calm with me it was no issue to put a halter on her, and she would follow me around without in any case. Nobody else could get near her, but I would easily pat her, lead her by the forelock or ever just lead her as she would happily just follow, ... I think she enjoyed the attention.

When she was three it was time for breaking. She was terrified of my father [who was totally hopeless with animals], so when it came time to bridle her, as an eleven year old I went into the stable and simply bridled her. She did the normal thing and shook the bit about, but absolutely no panic. Next day I bridled her first and saddled her.. Of course she was completely used to me patting her on the back [even picking her front feet up] so I started stroking and patting her and then carefully slide the saddle without the beauty hardly noticing it. The part that almost spooked her was tightening up the girth, but patience and ten minutes later it was if she was an old hand! Next day tacking her up was like it was the thousandth time, so I led her out into the yard, and being a small eleven year old and a a fifteen two thoroughbred, I had to get her by the stone steps up to the back door to get up. Once aboard she shuffled and threw her head about a little, but no excitements. Then the old man came out and off we went before he could grab the reins! Okay once round the corner though. She made no effort to fight me, no effort to throw me, and seemed to understand how to stop with soft words and gentle pull on the rein ... It was a magic moment. We both had some inner trust that knew absolutely that neither would hurt the other ...

I walked her out to the back field, about five acres with good hedges and no wire, and we soon progressed from walking to trotting and then cantering over the next few days. Galloping would wait! She was a real treasure. Her name was Faro, and a perfect dark bay with absolutely no white anywhere. Well the old man thought that if it was that easy [and I had told him to keep away], then he would have a go. And yes, it is fair to say that she threw him off immediately, cantered off, and broke the rein. Came back to me though. Before the old man could catch up, I jumped on board, so the old man would not and then thrash her. I don't really think she was ever actually what you might call "broken" as such. Though she would let the old man near her in time, she took a delight in making a huge jump over fences that would unseat the old man every time. I believe he was frightened of her. Most people thought she was a bit feisty, so when she was clipped or the blacksmith came to shoe her, I was always there and she relaxed almost to sleep sometimes. In the evening she would lay down and she was so calm I could sit by her and lean on her shoulder ...
________

A few years later she was put to the stallion, and of course I took care of her before and after work every day till the foal [another dark bay with one white sock] was born. I knew perfectly well the night the foal would come. You do when you have been round cows and ewes. So the day of it I was up and about two hours before breakfast and walked out to the big pasture she was in. She saw, and came full pelt over to the gate! I went into the field quite aware that somewhere must be the foal. The mare and I walked down to the new-born and [with the mare's complete trust] I spoke gently to and stroked the foal in its first hours! At breakfast I told my father the foal was a filly and up and suckling. All good. He was very angry when I told that I had already handled the foal, who soon became just as quiet as Faro with me. Mares can be astonishingly protective and dangerous with a new born foal. I had never considered that, and she was just as kind when the second foal was born, but only with me. A month or two later Faro had to go to stud again, and I had to try to get her into the cattle lorry. As I led them toward the ramp, I fell over. I had an infected hip [though I did not know it, except it was very painful], and I could not get up. Now instead of running away Faro decided this was serious. Unfortunately she had shoes on, so what she did next could have been quite serious. She gently rolled me over with her head, and started to try to get him up with her one front leg. Of course my brother soon realised something was wrong and came to the mare and led her away. I was put in the back of the pick-up, and was soon in hospital for tests. Suspected Leukeamia ... Anyway when the second foal came a year later I was duly introduced, and so we had a family trio. The second foal was a light bay, and was a flighty character. Not remotely like her mother or sister, but still happy to let me catch her.
________

After my fall I was ill for weeks, though it turned out the white blood cell count was from infection rather than the big C. The mare was really my horse, and not really anyone else' but she was fond of my girlfriend, and sometimes we would swap when out on the nags! The mare only had one jump in her. I think she judged any fence as being about a five foot high hedge, even though they might only be a round pole four foot off the ground! I never came off over a fence with her, but once had a pretty good horse to horse crash with my girl friend. Both of us on the ground, her pony gone across the fields and Faro hanging around waiting for me to get going again. I have three lovely pictures of her with the foals at different times. I expect you can tell that she was my friend. I still think of her now forty and fifty years on.
________

I have made friends with horses since, but never like the old mare Faro and her two foals, because these horses belonged to other people. But horses and dogs have a real sense of a kindly person. Once they first come to you and gain confidence they know no fear at all, and simply have trust. Between 1984 and 1997 I had a Welsh Collie dog [imaginitively called Fred] who definitely was only my dog. But once I showed friendship to any visitor he accepted them as family. Again this a question of trust.

On the whole I find few humans nearly as kind as the best animals, and your average animal beats your average human by a country mile.

Best wishes from George

Lovely story George. As I get older, I find I am starting to prefer animals to my fellow humans more and more.

Same here, except that possibly I always did. Never liked either parent.

Can you tell I am self-isolating? Never have the time or energy to write such a thing otherwise.

Probably ought to write down my other happy times as well, and it does shake your perspective a bit.

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
Same here, except that possibly I always did. Never liked either parent.

Can you tell I am self-isolating. Never have the time or energy to write such a thing otherwise.

Probably ought to write down my other happy times as well, and it does shake your perspective a bit.

Best wishes from George

Keep yourself safe George, but remember that self isolation doesn’t mean locking yourself away, try and get out on the bike or go for a walk now and then.

I’d like to read some more happy stories though, they provide a valuable counterpoint to the incessant deluge of depression we’re currently experiencing.

Rob said:-

I’d like to read some more happy stories though, they provide a valuable counterpoint to the incessant deluge of depression we’re currently experiencing.

That is why I did it. Youtube surfing, and from this you will see my typical repertoire, and finding this little film spurred to write the story down and share some happy thoughts amid the encircling gloom and negativity.

I phoned 111 on Sunday and was really poorly till Tuesday and slightly better on Wednesday. I am staying indoors though till Sunday. I would not forgive myself for passing it on. I have recovered, and will offer my blood for research into the anti-body, subject to a test showing it was COVID 19, and not some random other virus.

Best wishes and stay safe. From George

Lovely post George and I agree 100%. Even the most unlikely of animals can become remarkably attached to any human being that shows kindness from a very young age. It's also something remarkably precious when an animal whether wild or untrained as yours, takes to you with such trust and abandon. Thanks for sharing.

keep reading this thread title as 'very calm fool.'

my eye is still recovering from hard 'brown cataract' removal.

IMG_8571 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Faro and my girlfriend a few days before the first foal. This horse adored my girlfriend, almost as much as me, though she only let me play with the foals.

IMG_8572 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Faro having some TLC. She used to let her tongue slip between her teeth when she was totally relaxed. The first foal is quite happy to take in the moment, but junior foal is a bit shy hiding behind! After I put the camera down junior had a couple of minutes TLC, but she was very shy unlike her mother and number one foal!

IMG_8573 2 by George Johnson, on Flickr

They saw my girlfriend and me! No rush, they know that they are in for some affection. Junior foal often used to walk between her sister and mother. They both looked after the little one.

Look how number one and mother are in lock-step walking in time both lifting their right front foot in sync, and see how chilled senior foal is. Observe the sideways ears. Not forward and not back, but just relaxed. They were like a pair of old friends these two usually walking in lock-step, just like human friends do. Grooming each other and doing the back feet as in the film in the first post and standing beside each other head to tail flicking flies out of each others faces with their tails.

It was terribly sad when these two were separated. Obviously they had been separated for short periods, but when Faro left the foal was inconsolable for weeks, and at first tried to break down the stable door. Junior foal had senior foal for support, though I don't think senior felt junior to be any kind of company compared to her mother. When senior foal went it did not affect junior at all. Funny how animals have just as varied characters as people, if you get to know them. They were sold in the later days of life at the farm. My father went bankrupt in 1980 ...

Keep well and best wishes from George

Last edited:
One thing the older foal used to do when I was on my own with her and her mother [before junior was born] was because I generally said hello to the mare first, and the foal would get impatient and try push me from her mother - ever so gently - so I'd pay her some attention! I had to stop that. They can learn bad habits from that sort of behaviour. My method was really simple. Ignore her till next day. So pushing meant no TLC. There is always a quiet way to give a horse good manners.

Perhaps surprisingly, in the whole time I knew these lovely creatures, I never once gave any of them a treat. No Polos or apples. I don't believe in what some call positive reinforcement. I call it spoiling and bribery. It makes them nappy and rude. They look for the treat first, whereas if you are simply kind and patient, they look out for you not the treat.

I was dog sitting a very naughty type of Collie last Spring, and this dog would do nothing unless you gave her some doggy treat, so the owner told me. I was supposed to give her one of these little nibbles whenever she did something good like come when called. Obviously the dog had no treats the week I was in charge but she would bound joyously to me after day two not expecting a treat but rather a bit of an ear tickle or run round on the lawn with sticks to fetch. Once again the method was to completely ignore her if she was naughty - just walk away saying nothing. It is just like sending a child to its bedroom, not to come down again till it is going to behave nicely. The owner spoiled her and had no control and when they came back and asked if she had tried to escape, I said not once! She was having too much fun.

The owner found the dog much better behaved after my week, but it would take months of patient teaching to make her a really good dog, I reckon.

When this corona thing is over, I reckon I must get a dog. I would love another Welsh Collie, but they can go a bit mad without several hours a day of exercise at least for the first four or five years. I also adore Jack Russells. Feisty little dogs that think they are the size of a German Shepard! I'd have a bitch now as they are less prone to wonder away like a dog, especially when some bitch is on heat within a mile or two. More sociable with other dogs as well.

They also tend to be loyal to one person, unlike males. Terriers dogs - if they are brought up kindly - tend to want to play with everyone, invited or not! Not everyone is comfortable with that. Bitches less so. One litter of pups and then neutered, that way they are fully formed as a mature character, and speying them does not spoil them and turn them into lazy fat puddings! I hate to see an obese dog. Feed them well and exercise them to keep a healthy weight for size. As they age they slow down a bit, and should be fed less.

Yes, if there is good time after the current corona thing, I'll get a Terrier-ist! Good for ratting too!

Best wishes from George

PS: I would have to get a dog from a known farming family where there was no cruelty, as the psychological scars from that can last a lifetime and make dogs unpredictable. If they only ever get a verbal chiding or being totally ignored for major and minor naughtiness then they tend to be naturally friendly to strangers as well, which is in my view crucial, so I would want the pup from the youngest age possible. My sheepdog was six weeks old when I got him, which is a bit young, but his mother was old and her milk had dried up.

Last edited:
Wonderful, I love reading your stories George, please continue whenever you feel up to it, even after current events.

Take care.

This came to mind whilst looking at the photos, carefree I do believe is how it feels.

I love the theme music.

I posted this at the beginning of the lockdown.

Happy days years ago, remembered ...

Just thought some of you might enjoy something different from the general gloom.

Can't seem to find the energy for that sort of post these days though.

One thing the older foal used to do when I was on my own with her and her mother [before junior was born] was because I generally said hello to the mare first, and the foal would get impatient and try push me from her mother - ever so gently - so I'd pay her some attention! I had to stop that. They can learn bad habits from that sort of behaviour. My method was really simple. Ignore her till next day. So pushing meant no TLC. There is always a quiet way to give a horse good manners.

Perhaps surprisingly, in the whole time I knew these lovely creatures, I never once gave any of them a treat. No Polos or apples. I don't believe in what some call positive reinforcement. I call it spoiling and bribery. It makes them nappy and rude. They look for the treat first, whereas if you are simply kind and patient, they look out for you not the treat.

I was dog sitting a very naughty type of Collie last Spring, and this dog would do nothing unless you gave her some doggy treat, so the owner told me. I was supposed to give her one of these little nibbles whenever she did something good like come when called. Obviously the dog had no treats the week I was in charge but she would bound joyously to me after day two not expecting a treat but rather a bit of an ear tickle or run round on the lawn with sticks to fetch. Once again the method was to completely ignore her if she was naughty - just walk away saying nothing. It is just like sending a child to its bedroom, not to come down again till it is going to behave nicely. The owner spoiled her and had no control and when they came back and asked if she had tried to escape, I said not once! She was having too much fun.

The owner found the dog much better behaved after my week, but it would take months of patient teaching to make her a really good dog, I reckon.

When this corona thing is over, I reckon I must get a dog. I would love another Welsh Collie, but they can go a bit mad without several hours a day of exercise at least for the first four or five years. I also adore Jack Russells. Feisty little dogs that think they are the size of a German Shepard! I'd have a bitch now as they are less prone to wonder away like a dog, especially when some bitch is on heat within a mile or two. More sociable with other dogs as well.

They also tend to be loyal to one person, unlike males. Terriers dogs - if they are brought up kindly - tend to want to play with everyone, invited or not! Not everyone is comfortable with that. Bitches less so. One litter of pups and then neutered, that way they are fully formed as a mature character, and speying them does not spoil them and turn them into lazy fat puddings! I hate to see an obese dog. Feed them well and exercise them to keep a healthy weight for size. As they age they slow down a bit, and should be fed less.

Yes, if there is good time after the current corona thing, I'll get a Terrier-ist! Good for ratting too!

Best wishes from George

PS: I would have to get a dog from a known farming family where there was no cruelty, as the psychological scars from that can last a lifetime and make dogs unpredictable. If they only ever get a verbal chiding or being totally ignored for major and minor naughtiness then they tend to be naturally friendly to strangers as well, which is in my view crucial, so I would want the pup from the youngest age possible. My sheepdog was six weeks old when I got him, which is a bit young, but his mother was old and her milk had dried up.

The prediction of three years ago I predicted that I would have a dog. At the times of this old thread, I had Covid and was isolating. Somehow it almost seems like yesterday.

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back