advertisement

Vaccine recipients....

Pfizer do seem, now, to have fewer side effects. +But what will be the position in 2 years, 20 years+ (or more)?

No one, no expert, knows the answer.
And nobody ever waited 2 years or 20 years from completion of trials, before administering a vaccine. If the 20 year emergence of issues was thought to be a significant problem, protocols would be different; but even so, the fundamental risks of a global pandemic mean that even the possibility known long term risks would have to be reevaluated against the greater public benefit now.

I doubt there will be any longer term emergent issues, but all of life involves risk so even if there were, I’d take this bet every time.

Pfizer do seem, now, to have fewer side effects. +But what will be the position in 2 years, 20 years+ (or more)?

No one, no expert, knows the answer .

We are faced with the risk/benefit equation when deciding: 1) whether to get vaccinated; 2) which vaccine.

Most have no choice. I had Pfizer. I wanted AZ... I was prejudiced in favour of an Oxford researched vac.

However, I would like to see research on benefits of having my second jab from a different source... and be given a choice. I think this unlikely.

I am lucky to get ANY second shot.
They should be able to monitor the effect in France if the expected only 56% of the population get their jab.
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210108-in-vaccine-sceptic-france-some-medics-also-hesitate

They should be able to monitor the effect in France if the expected only 56% of the population get their jab.
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210108-in-vaccine-sceptic-france-some-medics-also-hesitate

In October only 33% said they’d have the vaccine, so it’s moving in the right direction albeit slowly...

https://www.euronews.com/2020/10/16...ents-would-take-covid-19-vaccine-euronews-pol

I’d expect the number to rise once the effect of mass vaccination becomes apparent.

I don't think the method adopted here in France helps either.
If I understand correctly, in the UK you are informed (invited) when you are eligible?
In France (at least where I am) you have to apply.

And nobody ever waited 2 years or 20 years from completion of trials, before administering a vaccine. If the 20 year emergence of issues was thought to be a significant problem, protocols would be different; but even so, the fundamental risks of a global pandemic mean that even the possibility known long term risks would have to be reevaluated against the greater public benefit now.

I doubt there will be any longer term emergent issues, but all of life involves risk so even if there were, I’d take this bet every time.

I agree.

We were told 50+ could apply to have it here in N.Ireland this morning so me being 56 logged on to book....198 min wait which crashed out. I logged on again 166 min wait which....you can see where this is going. I've decided to wait until my GP calls me.....it would appear that there may no longer be any GP's at my local practice!

Just had the Oxford AZ vaccine [first dose] in Hereford. So far painless and no apparent reaction. When I had the flu jab in January I was not quite right next day, and they told me that it may well be the same with the AZ, but not to worry unless it goes on for more than three days. In that case it is likely to actually be Covid!

Lovely afternoon, and I had to fill two and half hours waiting for the homebound bus to Bromyard. I went to places in town I have never been before, even though Hereford is the town of my birth, and main civic centre for almost all my life! I walked round the Castle Green, and to the Victoria Bridge, to the Castle Pool [remains of the medieval moat round the Cathedral], and also found the Nelson Column - yes Hereford has a Nelson column! I never knew!

Then found the birthplace of Gilbert Harding [born 1907] at the old Hereford workhouse where his father was Master and his mother Matron! I discovered that Hereford has a Quad dealership. All this new stuff just from wandering about rather than cherishing a pint for two hours!

Then shared the return bus with about forty secondary school children! Oops!

Total distance walked eight plus miles ... Still got some life in me, Haha!

Best wishes to everyone from George

Good work George. Mine was 630 today, 1st go on AZ. All OK, bar a sore arm. A mate's brother had a rough night after his, I'll see how I go.

We have this idea that other countries (particularly European ones) are more enlightened, culturally aware than us petty little Englanders but the vaccination roll out has shown this not to be the case. There are petty & groundless political squabbles breaking out between countries that is only putting the health of its citizens at risk.

The vaccine is a great thing, it should be seen as apolitical, nothing to do with government etc.

I am dismayed that this situation is apparently being weaponised.

My wife has her jab on Friday & I look forward to having mine soon.

Last edited:
I spoke to my brother yesterday - he was due to have his first jab today but has cancelled it because he is windy about the talk of blood clots "until we see what happens". I think he`s an idiot, though not for the first time.

I didn`t tell him I think he`s wrong, really don`t need an argument at the moment.

I spoke to my brother yesterday - he was due to have his first jab today but has cancelled it because he is windy about the talk of blood clots "until we see what happens". I think he`s an idiot, though not for the first time.

I didn`t tell him I think he`s wrong, really don`t need an argument at the moment.
He obviously doesn’t understand basic probabilities or risk. The dreadful reality is he’s at far higher risk of harm by being unvaccinated.

He obviously doesn’t understand basic probabilities or risk. The dreadful reality is he’s at far higher risk of harm by being unvaccinated.

I agree but he is also influenced by his wife who is a JoHo and therefore believes no end of old rubbish and by his son who is a conspiracy theorist and finds stuff on the web about secret side effects and cover ups.....

I really don`t need to fall out with him at the moment, we are in the middle of sorting out probate and selling my parents house - when that`s done I can go back to ignoring him.

I agree but he is also influenced by his wife who is a JoHo and therefore believes no end of old rubbish and by his son who is a conspiracy theorist and finds stuff on the web about secret side effects and cover ups.....

I really don`t need to fall out with him at the moment, we are in the middle of sorting out probate and selling my parents house - when that`s done I can go back to ignoring him.
Sorry to hear that Barry- a sad time compounded by family relationship issues. I thought executing my mother’s estate would be simple but I didn’t account for the behaviour of one relative.

Had my AZ jab at 10 this morning, just back and having a cuppa before resuming work. Love the efficiency at the stabbing station, top bunch of cheery people keeping things moving swiftly.
My better half had hers last week, suffered a load of symptoms that night but all better the following morning, so am hoping for nothing more than that (or none at all preferably!).

Just had my first AZ dose. Smooth as silk operation at our local community hospital. Poor nurse said she had spent a lot of time today reassuring folks about all the AZ=blood clots info.

Just had my first AZ dose. Smooth as silk operation at our local community hospital. Poor nurse said she had spent a lot of time today reassuring folks about all the AZ=blood clots info.

Yup, My daughter works as an admin (full time now) booking jabs and helping manage the patients coming in. She spends an appreciable percentage of her time doing just that with scares over infertility, micro chips (seriously) DVT, testing safety etc etc. Never tries to persuade (not enough hours in the day) but reassures and informs.

advertisement

Back