advertisement

Used car prices

Good, well kept ICE cars are going to be in demand for quite some time yet ...
When I bought my BMW (335i F31) in 2013, I expected to keep it only for 10 years, hopefully before it starts to hand me big repair bills. Eight years in, and except for one warranty repair and some oil leaks, it has been remarkably reliable. It is always garaged when home

Yet, according to my insurance estimates, it has already lost 72% of its market value. Its trade-in value will be even lower. I think it is worth more to a buyer looking for its unicorn features (N55 engine with 6MT and wagon body). As I can't decide between a new ICE or EV, it seems imminently sensible to hold onto my F31 until the answer becomes clearer.

I'm imagining lots of inspectors with clipboards and extensive notes of which cars are awaiting which bits...

and phone calls from manufacturers to dealers along the lines of..."Now, how many do you want with Radio and how many with Sat Nav as you can't have both"

and phone calls from manufacturers to dealers along the lines of..."Now, how many do you want with Radio and how many with Sat Nav as you can't have both"

A month or two ago Ford announced that they were going to scale back on dealer inventories and push customers more into ordering the exact car they want.

I haven't seen a similar announcement from the other manufacturers, but there has been more advertising from all the domestics to promote custom-ordering. So that seems to be the new paradigm.

In the '60s and '70s "everyone" ordered their new cars, the "floor plan" cars in inventory were for suckers.

That's what I am wondering ...what exactly are they doing in the car factories ATM.

As they have done for years, getting them out the showrooms ASAP and letting the consumer sort out QA problems through the warranty scheme.

This is not a recent problem. My A5 was built in 2016 and as good as it is, there been some right shockers in my two years of ownership that should have been picked up at the factory: battery installed that wasn't fit for purpose, lower suspension mounts that disintegrated at 30k miles, turbo hose failing at 35k...

On my 2004 Audi A2 TDi I had an intercooler hose develop a slight (and inaudible) leak which seemingly led to turbo overspeed and a big, smoky and expensive BANG! on the A64. Turbo got fixed, eventually, at my expense, but the intercooler hose issue wasn't picked up until a week or so later when I noticed an unusual noise at speed on the A1. The garage commented that it was a good job I'd spotted that as it could have led to a turbo overspeed...:rolleyes:

advertisement

Back