advertisement

Used car prices

My 340i (F34) was an ex-demonstrator and loaded with every conceivable option. I was sceptical about the HUD but to be honest I wouldn't be without it now.

Just like my demo Arteon.
However, I really wanted the HUD, which it has because when I was looking at the Audi A7 with one, it was beautifully projected onto the windscreen.

With the Arteon, a plastic screen slides up from the dash, but for me, my eyes have to keep adjusting to it. Not matter how hard I try, the image is "too near".

Used only twice in 3 years.

I'll be selling it soon though.

How's this going to affect the forecasts for EV manufacturing. The things must be riddled with them....!!

Honda E doesn't even have side mirrors...uses cameras and screens instead. Talk about trying to solve a problem that didn't exist in the first place (apparently it helps in bad weather though LOL)

honda-e-side-camera-mirror-system.jpg
When I’m on my bike I try to make eye contact with drivers in their mirrors, at junctions, so I know they’ve seen me. Can’t do that with these new screens.

When I’m on my bike I try to make eye contact with drivers in their mirrors, at junctions, so I know they’ve seen me. Can’t do that with these new screens.

Good enough reason for getting a car without mirrors. Fewer distractions from gurning cyclists.

There are going to be lease customers coming unstuck in this market. By lease I mean operating lease (contract hire). PCP is not a lease, it’s hire purchase with a put option. Say your lease is coming to an end, you want another car but there is a 6 month lead time. You could ask for extension rentals but they are based on the current FMV (fair market value) of the asset. Oooops, there’s a good chance your secondary rentals could be more than the primaries! Don’t want to extend? No problem, the lessor will sell it for top dollar and be well up on the anticipated return. The bank always wins!

I was also expecting the Honda Marketing Dept to mention "It's better for Aero"...but even they thought it was a stretch looking at the slab front of the Honda e (the design of which I do like!!)

Ibut even they thought it was a stretch looking at the slab front of the Honda e (the design of which I do like!!)

The majority of electric cars look shit (or at best boring) but the Honda I do like and would definitely consider one if it wasn't for the crap range.

Last edited:
The majority of electric cars look shit (or at best boring) but the Honda I do like and would definitely consider one if it was for the crap range.

Yes, I haven't seen many over here in NI but I when I first saw a Honda E I didn't even know what it was and followed it for a bit...I've never done that with any EV car before or since...I think the Japanese and Koreans will really take this chance to separate themselves from the rest in the styling dept.

Health Experts calls for us to reduce our 'Screen Time' aren't really being taken on board though are they...even the rear view mirror is a screen...I mean how much info do you actually need to pilot a bloody car...:) :)

honda-e-05.jpg

Yes, I haven't seen many over here in NI but I when I first saw a Honda E I didn't even know what it was and followed it for a bit...I've never done that with any EV car before or since...I think the Japanese and Koreans will really take this chance to separate themselves from the rest in the styling dept.

Health Experts calls for us to reduce our 'Screen Time' aren't really being taken on board though are they...even the rear view mirror is a screen...I mean how much info do you actually need to pilot a bloody car...:) :)

honda-e-05.jpg
That's busier than an Cessna cockpit. Light aircraft have the huge advantage that they can safely fly themselves for a few seconds while your eyes are scanning the dials. Military aircraft have HUDs because they are faster and fly close to the ground

How awful! Interesting that in the middle of everything the AC controls are completely normal. Maybe it's the part that most people absolutely want/need to know how it works without poking around in endless sub menus to sub menus?

That Honda dashboard is madness!

Had a chat with a Volvo service tech I’ve known for 20+ years. He said the last few model years have been maintenance headaches, and advised running our cars (2004 XC70 and 2007 S80) for the foreseeable. I think I am losing interest in new cars.

honda-e-05.jpg

We can beat that. In our I-Pace we have 6 screens of one type or another. I can only count 5 here!

That Honda dashboard is madness!

Had a chat with a Volvo service tech I’ve known for 20+ years. He said the last few model years have been maintenance headaches, and advised running our cars (2004 XC70 and 2007 S80) for the foreseeable. I think I am losing interest in new cars.

Yep, exactly. I keep looking at stuff like this and just think...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108216505964?radius=1501&postcode=bt343su&model=320&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&page=1

...How much worse could it be to maintain than say a modern car that's 3yo, had a PCP owner that doesn't give a toss about it as they never 'own' it and was designed by companies with bean counters running their Engineering Dept with the sole aim of designing cars to last the PCP period plus a couple of years before unloading big bills onto the unsuspecting 'used car' buyer...so it's either something like that or buy a Korean appliance thing at 3yo which at least has 4 years warranty left.

We can beat that. In our I-Pace we have 6 screens of one type or another. I can only count 5 here!

I wish Jag could share their design staff with a few other companies as they are the only ones doing stuff that catches my eye...

Really? I find them bland and predictable. It's good that we can still be different :)

Maybe bland is what I'm liking about them. Others seem to be going mental with massive grilles and fake aero.
A mate nearly bought a V8 F-Type in Jan 2020 when prices had bottomed to low £30k's...kicking himself now.

advertisement

Back