advertisement

USB to SPDIF converters - any good / bad experiences or recommendations?

Yes, Mr Underhill said he had two posts before yours. Do keep up ;)

I idly browse these devices but they'd just take up more space for me (Have had a WfS Recovery for nearly five years, that's a usb reclocker though. Have you checked the JKeny offering? Ciunas Audio on here. With supercap these days I think.

I no longer have a need for a USB to SPDIF converter, but like many other folks here, I used and tried quite a few of them a few years ago. The best one I heard, and ended up with, was a WAVE DIY board. OK, you have to do a bit of soldering, but it's very easy. I knocked up several of these for others, who also preferred them to previous ones they tried. The splendid folk on this here forum's DIY section will gladly guide anyone through setting one up. Lucian Romega, who runs the company, is of great help also if you need it.

I no longer have a need for a USB to SPDIF converter, but like many other folks here, I used and tried quite a few of them a few years ago. The best one I heard, and ended up with, was a WAVE DIY board. OK, you have to do a bit of soldering, but it's very easy. I knocked up several of these for others, who also preferred them to previous ones they tried. The splendid folk on this here forum's DIY section will gladly guide anyone through setting one up. Lucian Romega, who runs the company, is of great help also if you need it.

Interesting thanks. Yes I accept a lot of folks don't require these converters anymore - but I still dabble with old DACs which do not have USB inputs. I'm effectively looking to feed these old DACs with a good USB to SPDIF reclocked design keeping the upstream transport quality good for the DAC.

Hi Tony, this looks like a very high performing unit for the money, I will read the thread. I note it needs drivers for Window machines, do you know if it is able to run with a Mac OS?

Has the USB to SPDIF conversion been measured in that role? Yes, it's probably a great DAC - but if its primarily a DAC then I'm not convinced it's at its best as a USB/SPDIF converter. Certainly not up to (I would expect) Audiophilleo standards.
Its a better usb/ spdif converter than it is a dac..

The best I have had in my system was the Schitt Eitr followed by the SingXer F1.

I have the first Matrix box upstairs, initially I was wowed but fell out of love with it over a couple of weeks and went back to the F1.

I never owned the Eitr, I borrowed one for a week and while it was better than the F1 it was only by a smidge, I could live with the difference.
I have a schiit eitr..magnificent piece of kit.

I have a cambridge audio dacmagic, I occasionally used it as pass through to give my macbook a USB to digital output. Its probably quite good if I used the analog tbh but hey.
If you can get hold of a topping D10 and use it as the usb/ spdif converter for the dac magic.( usb into topping then coax from topping into dac magic ) you might be amazed at the sound?

I found this post, and the thread generally, interesting as my old battery powered converter (charged by a TP 5v PS) failed and the Schiit Eitr I use was disappointing in comparison. I tried a self-assembly Chinese converter that was recommended but it was less good again. So the Topping is very attractive, especially as it can be powered by the Teddy Pardo. I went for the updated E30 which is supposed to be improved. It's a job to tell as it didn't work at all! Ah well, Amazon have said they will refund me.

The Denafrips Iris looks promising so I may book an audition once we're out of lockdown.
Schiit eitr disappointing? If your in the uk? Please sell it to me...then I'll have two! The eitr will stay in my system till it packs up or I pack up..

At the moment it's the only converter that I have that works, it's good but not as good as the battery powered converter that I used to have which sadly failed. I bought a Topping (D30 iirc) but that arrived faulty and I was refunded.

At the moment it's the only converter that I have that works, it's good but not as good as the battery powered converter that I used to have which sadly failed. I bought a Topping (D30 iirc) but that arrived faulty and I was refunded.
I have a musical fidelity v link converter as well..its pretty good too..that battery powered converter must be awesome then..what was it? I'll look out for one..

The topping D10 is ok as a converter..its esp good with my dac magic azur..not in same league as v link2 and eitr is a league higher again..

That's the guy. The first ones were ok at 12v, later ones needed 5v iirc so I have TP power supplies rated at both voltages. I don't think it'd be a good idea to use a voltage that doesn't match the unit as rechargeable batteries can get a bit explosive judging by the stories about mobile phones and cheap generic chargers!

That's the guy. The first ones were ok at 12v, later ones needed 5v iirc so I have TP power supplies rated at both voltages. I don't think it'd be a good idea to use a voltage that doesn't match the unit as rechargeable batteries can get a bit explosive judging by the stories about mobile phones and cheap generic chargers!
What kit was it running through? If I may ask? I'm using AE1 mk3s into quad 909 and a cyrus dac x+ with eitr as the converter..cabling all LFD

13.8v should be ok for 12v ..your right about power supplies making a difference..it can be a massive difference..in my t amps you can really notice it

advertisement

Back