advertisement

USB to SPDIF converters - any good / bad experiences or recommendations?

So the Topping D10 - and now the LA-QXD1 - my concern would be that their primary role is a DAC and not a USB / SPDIF converter. Nevertheless I will put these ideas in the back pocket if the Audiophilleo doesn't work out for me.
The topping D10 is a great asynchronous USB to SPDIF, it just happens to have a great DAC in there too!

it’s the best sub £100 I’ve spent on hi Fi for a long time!

The topping D10 is a great asynchronous USB to SPDIF, it just happens to have a great DAC in there too!

Has the USB to SPDIF conversion been measured in that role? Yes, it's probably a great DAC - but if its primarily a DAC then I'm not convinced it's at its best as a USB/SPDIF converter. Certainly not up to (I would expect) Audiophilleo standards.

It's probably using a simple digital divider from a higher-rate crystal clock to match the incoming packet rate, and thus ends up alternating between the closest available output rates.

Yes. it examples why it makes sense to allow the receiver to control transfers. Which of course can be done with USB but not SPDIF as normally used without a fed-back clock master clock.

I have a cambridge audio dacmagic, I occasionally used it as pass through to give my macbook a USB to digital output. Its probably quite good if I used the analog tbh but hey.

Note that this depends on which generation/model of DACMagic you have. The problems on the webpage arise with their intial model. Later versions didn't do it.

Has the USB to SPDIF conversion been measured in that role? Yes, it's probably a great DAC - but if its primarily a DAC then I'm not convinced it's at its best as a USB/SPDIF converter. Certainly not up to (I would expect) Audiophilleo standards.
The jitter in the S/PDIF output is likely at least two orders of magnitude smaller than the inherent jitter of the receiver. It could of course have a terrible line driver, but I think that's unlikely.

The jitter in the S/PDIF output is likely at least two orders of magnitude smaller than the inherent jitter of the receiver. It could of course have a terrible line driver, but I think that's unlikely.

Whey then are people still making dedicated transports like Cambridge Audio CXC Dedicated CD Compact Disc Transport? Quite obviously CA think that the transport does matter if they are prepared to still build them.

Whey then are people still making dedicated transports like Cambridge Audio CXC Dedicated CD Compact Disc Transport? Quite obviously CA think that the transport does matter if they are prepared to still build them.

I would say that CA, or most audio companies, are more interested in what they can sell, not necessarily what "matters".

I don't see your point. As long as there are people playing CDs, it makes sense to make players/transports. Besides, we were discussing USB devices.

I don't see your point. As long as there are people playing CDs, it makes sense to make players/transports. Besides, we were discussing USB devices.

The point is - the DAC I want to connect to is SPDIF - so ultimately the transport is SPDIF just like a CD transport is SPDIF

I've tried numerous converters including Hiface, Halide, Gustard, Singxer, Empirical Offramp, Audiophilleo. In my experience you get what you pay for unfortunately. The more expensive ones were clearly the better ones. Whether or not they justify their price tags is a matter of debate, but that was my conclusion.

The Audiophilleo was certainly one of the best that I tried.

Yes M2Tech is really good and if you use a separate PSU it will sound even better. The Topping D10 is for its price very good indeed. SMSL Sanskrit Pro DAC is a giant killer, with separate linear PSU it will sound superb and better than many more expensive DACs out there.

M2Tech make some terrific stuff - I had the Hiface DAC too, they had trouble for a while with Apple drivers though, it was a big nuisance at the time but it did get sorted...

The Audiophilleo is now plugged in - and a nice tactile little device it is too. I had an initial problem with low volume coming out of my system - that was because the AP was reading -20dB on the interface - once I worked out how to change the volume back to 0dB (direct) things were back to normal.

The manual instructed that all I had to do was use the little joystick on the AP then move up and down to change the volume. Not quite! I first needed to enable "Pro Mode" then I could change the volume back to 0dB - then I deselected Pro Mode allowing software control from LMS to change the volume.

I have an interesting few days ahead listening and fiddling with this little gadget.

Having an excellent USB to SPDIF converter using state-of-the-art high end clocking is one thing - but having a remote control volume (when I go back to Pro Mode again) means I have a bit perfect pre-amp built in too. And if you think this device is expensive - you have an inclusive high quality pre-amp and no need for a high quality expensive SPDIF cable either (for those inclined to believe in audiophile cables) because you can plug this gadget directly into your DAC.

A well thought out solution - I hope it works out simply for the pre-amp function alone!

As an analogy - you can get a smart TV with all the streaming services and apps built in which is very popular as a package nowadays - or you can get a TV with the Smart Services sourced from an Apple TV - the Audiophilleo is the Apple TV.

I found this post, and the thread generally, interesting as my old battery powered converter (charged by a TP 5v PS) failed and the Schiit Eitr I use was disappointing in comparison. I tried a self-assembly Chinese converter that was recommended but it was less good again. So the Topping is very attractive, especially as it can be powered by the Teddy Pardo. I went for the updated E30 which is supposed to be improved. It's a job to tell as it didn't work at all! Ah well, Amazon have said they will refund me.

The Denafrips Iris looks promising so I may book an audition once we're out of lockdown.

The best I have had in my system was the Schitt Eitr followed by the SingXer F1.

I have the first Matrix box upstairs, initially I was wowed but fell out of love with it over a couple of weeks and went back to the F1.

I never owned the Eitr, I borrowed one for a week and while it was better than the F1 it was only by a smidge, I could live with the difference.

Interesting, the Matrix has previously been recommended. Listening tests required comparing possible replacement to existing converter.

advertisement

Back