advertisement

University of Manchester forcibly evicts rent strikers.

If this develops into something like the widespread protests in France in 1968, then maybe it'll bring down this rotten, corrupt 'government' once and for all. I can't see anything less than civil unrest, mass strikes and protests doing the job.

They'll most likely be holding down a handful of jobs these days and trying to juggle studies.
I agree. I was shocked at the on campuss accommodation cost for my daughter over the past couple of years, the quality was pretty basic too.

Accommodation, as I see it, is a healthy revenue for universities. What I don't know is if that need is driven from lack of central funding or a money making opportunity for the Uni.

If this develops into something like the widespread protests in France in 1968, then maybe it'll bring down this rotten, corrupt 'government' once and for all. I can't see anything less than civil unrest, mass strikes and protests doing the job.

There's serious looking civil unrest in France right now. Mass strikes and protests on the streets. Will it bring down the government? I don't think so, any more than the last major wave of civil unrest there -- the gilets jaunes -- brought down the government. To bring about a change, you need to be clearer about what sort of change you want to bring about.

I agree. I was shocked at the on campuss accommodation cost for my daughter over the past couple of years, the quality was pretty basic too.

Accommodation, as I see it, is a healthy revenue for universities. What I don't know is if that need is driven from lack of central funding or a money making opportunity for the Uni.

They prefer to outsource it all these days so there's no capital costs involved, I think. They'll be little to no central support for that I'm pretty sure. As for the upkeep of the existing estate, if they take the rent then they need to keep them up to some sort of standard but universities always skimp on backlog maintenance when times are harder.

My faculty tie** has the snake…..but not the dodo

**two yellow diagonal stripes on black…..for thems wot know!

Accommodation, as I see it, is a healthy revenue for universities

no, not always, many are outsourced - limits risk. There is little or no central support. Long gone are the days of large centrally funded capital projects...

I’ve got 2 offspring at University and 1 not long left, we’ve visited many universities over the last few years. The accommodation at Manchester was by some margin the worst we saw.

Cheers BB

Would we even consider knocking down our houses after only 50 years to build afresh? The Manchester halls were built to a very high standard in the 60s by the likes of BDP. In recent times there has been a demand for ensuites etc but now the Universities are finding out that students (and their parents) can't afford it all. The way these public ameneties have been left to deteriorate is really quite scandalous.

some big money deals for building and managing accommodation on behalf of HEIs. take a look at uliving, or unite students, or Pinnacle PSG etc etc there are many more

My faculty tie** has the snake…..but not the dodo

**two yellow diagonal stripes on black…..for thems wot know!
Science faculty? The trick in my year was to split a university scarf blue/grey/green and a Faculty of Science scarf (black with two yellow stripes) to create a two double sided scarfs.

That's quite a long time to occupy a building. Didn't they have access to YouTube? Plenty of videos from South Korea on how to stage a proper student protest.

Science faculty? The trick in my year was to split a university scarf blue/grey/green and a Faculty of Science scarf (black with two yellow stripes) to create a two double sided scarfs.

Thats’s the bunny.

I like the double sided idea

advertisement

Back