advertisement

University of Manchester forcibly evicts rent strikers.

unless i am mistaken it isnt. There actually isnt a Faculty of Engineering, there is a Faculty of Science and Engineering which is a collection of schools. The Simon building is an admin (a variety of Biological and Medical science related Schools) and teaching building. IRRC it also contains their HR department. There is a School of Engineering, but i don't think they are based in the the Simon building as are none of their constituent departments
It may have changed. It was the Simon Engineering Building when I was there in the mid-1980s.

The underlying point, though, was that this is not a hall of residence.

Can you spell out the underlying point for me please? I mean, in terms of the rights question in law.

If they were my tenants, they could not argue that a legal eviction breached their rights as far as I know. Why is it different in the case of a university building? The courts have issued the warrant, if there is an argument it would have been put before the judge presumably.

They want a cost of living payment of £1500. Why should the Uni pay it - they have jobs presumably?

Can you spell out the underlying point for me please? I mean, in terms of the rights question in law.

If they were my tenants, they could not argue that a legal eviction breached their rights as far as I know. Why is it different in the case of a university building? The courts have issued the warrant, if there is an argument it would have been put before the judge presumably.
Are you really asking what makes a university different from a landlord?

it has changed significantly since then.

You can say that again. Last time I drove up Oxford Road I discovered they'd replaced the Maths Tower with what looks like a gasometer, removed the Precinct Bridge, and knocked down Grosvenor Place HoR. Looking at Goggle Earth, the Engineering Schools appear to be north of Booth Street, pretty much where Gros. Pl. used to be.

But a lot has changed in half a century!

Think they're not going to be in enough debt - I'm afraid the University has history. They attract students on the basis of their wealth - fur coat and no knickers...

All universities do this. There’s little choice given finding structures nowadays. During the past decade when I’ve been working there I’d say they attract plenty with little income also.

Back on topic this is a university with recent and aggressive history. You may recall that during lockdown they fenced students in, so, there’s a certain irony around complaining when they want them out. Bottom line is that students are no different to anyone else as regards the cost of living. It’s hit hard and for a sub-standard product. The idea that they have a legal option here is laughable though. They’ve already explored and exhausted that and this is the consequence.

In Nottingham they were still having party’s during lockdown and getting the maximum fine, £10K!

Pete

I wonder if they evicted the rats from the student residences. It might have cost them less. They're pretty clearly skimping on maintenance and cleaning, while allowing the properties to become rundown as they prepare to sell off the site.

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/20...rent-strike-over-mould-and-rat-infested-halls

This is, now derelict, Hall is part of the same site. It's no wonder there are vermin around.

https://mancunion.com/2022/12/14/gh...t-why-is-the-owens-park-tower-still-standing/

I didn't spot any motorcycles in the rooms or pools of oil on the floor....student standards are dropping :)

advertisement

Back