advertisement

Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been answered, but as Poland, Romania, Germany(?) have opened their borders to Ukrainian refugees - after all the talking, have we? Im getting really agitated about the mainly young women and their children at various checkpoints. So many of them speak with great dignity and resolve.

The Home Office has announced refugees with family in the UK can apply for 12 month temporary visas. They've dropped the salary threshold and English language conditions.

But it's difficult in present situation for many refugees to go through the visa application process. There were reports a few days ago of elderly refugees being prevented from boarding the Eurostar in Paris by UK border officials.

Patel stated that they can't waive visas (as Ireland did immediately) because that would allow the entry of 'extremists'.

Recent polls show overwhelming public support for refugees to be allowed to enter the UK. I hope the government realises how out of step it is with public opinion.

I've no wish to apologise for Putin's actions, but after the fall of the Soviet Union the US promised Russia that it wouldn't extend NATO eastwards. Promises Made, Promises Broken? What Yeltsin Was Told About NATO in 1993 and Why It Matters - War on the Rocks

We've covered this before. Neither NATO nor the US made such an undertaking - please read https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/ukraine.263817/page-11#post-4605749.

Unless Russia can magic up a signed treaty to the contrary, their arguments about NATO expansionism are groundless.

The Home Office has announced refugees with family in the UK can apply for 12 month temporary visas. They've dropped the salary threshold and English language conditions.

But it's difficult in present situation for many refugees to go through the visa application process. There were reports a few days ago of elderly refugees being prevented from boarding the Eurostar in Paris by UK border officials.

Patel stated that they can't waive visas (as Ireland did immediately) because that would allow the entry of 'extremists'.

Recent polls show overwhelming public support for refugees to be allowed to enter the UK. I hope the government realises how out of step it is with public opinion.

All you need to know about Priti Patel

FM0-JS-XEAIuB6R.jpg

I've no wish to apologise for Putin's actions, but after the fall of the Soviet Union the US promised Russia that it wouldn't expand NATO eastwards. The link is to an article from 2019 BTW. Promises Made, Promises Broken? What Yeltsin Was Told About NATO in 1993 and Why It Matters - War on the Rocks
Watching some quick refreshers on recent Russian history, it's clear that a 'superpower' with only its military might left is going to act like a wounded animal and lash out, when threatened.
Russia has been threatened by no one. You are simply regurgitating Kremlin propaganda.

We've covered this before. Neither NATO nor the US made such an undertaking - please read https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/ukraine.263817/page-11#post-4605749.

Unless Russia can magic up a signed treaty to the contrary, their arguments about NATO expansionism are groundless.
The article I linked to discusses this, there was no treaty as such, but that's not what matters here, what matters is containing the Russian threat to European security from an increasingly unstable leader. From the article (long but well worth reading).
"Scholars and policymakers continue to debate whether the West, and in particular the United States, promised the Russians that NATO would not enlarge to include former Warsaw Pact nations. When politically convenient, many Russian elites have dredged up the notion of such a promise to argue that they were betrayed in the settlement that ended the Cold War in Europe, thereby justifying Russian pushback, including the invasion of Ukraine, against the U.S.-led security order."

I have been reading this thread daily, and I am still completely at a loss to know what is the best course of action.

I think I have an idea, but I am well and truly out of my depth knowing if what I think is correct.

My thoughts are something like this: It is only a matter of time before Russia takes full control of at least the eastern half or two thirds of Ukraine, or even the whole country. Occupying the country will prove more difficult than invading it. No doubt that the Russians aggression will have brought about a generation or even two of Ukrainians who will want to escape from Russian influence in a long struggle.

The bravery of the people and armed forces of Ukraine is astonishing. Obviously, as someone who can do nothing positive for Ukraine, I still hope for them to have an outcome that is acceptable to Ukrainians in time.

The UK government is managing the policy towards Russia in a way that will be examined at length before the next General Election, and will help add to the list of indefensible government actions ... leading many, who might once have given them the benefit of the doubt, either not voting Tory or voting for alternative political parties.

Best wishes from George

There's already quite a few extremists in the Tory party...

The article I linked to discusses this, there was no treaty as such, but that's not what matters here, what matters is containing the Russian threat to European security from an increasingly unstable leader. From the article (long but well worth reading).
"Scholars and policymakers continue to debate whether the West, and in particular the United States, promised the Russians that NATO would not enlarge to include former Warsaw Pact nations. When politically convenient, many Russian elites have dredged up the notion of such a promise to argue that they were betrayed in the settlement that ended the Cold War in Europe, thereby justifying Russian pushback, including the invasion of Ukraine, against the U.S.-led security order."
Welcome to pfm Rizo

According to reports on BBC Today this morning the 40 mile long Russian military convoy heading towards the capital Kyiv has hit problems due to breakdowns and shortages of petrol and food. I have no links or sources other than the BBC but the information was said to have come from "British intelligence". If true I find it astounding, and vaguely encouraging, that the Russian cannot maintain an effective logistical supply line so close to home, and which as far as I'm aware hasn't - yet? - come under serious enemy ground or air attack. Anyone else hear this?
How are those Turkish drone supplies doing…?

In summary NATO expansionism did not break any treaty. The current situation is down to a mentalist Russian President who wants a return of the USSR and his cronies making grievances up to justify their colonialist aspirations and actions.

Thanks for confirming.

Apologies if this has already been posted recently but this video provided a lot of context for me as to why on earth Putin's so aggressively attacking Ukraine:

As I think someone posted upthread, 'Nazi' seems to have slightly different connotations in Russia. While Western Europe thinks primarily of the holocaust, the Russian memory of WWII is dominated by the 27m Russian deaths at the hands of the Nazis. So 'Nazi' becomes shorthand for any military oppressors who seek to invade Russia.

(Russian members - please correct me if I've misunderstood)
That number 27 million dead, almost inconceivable, puts some context round this. I also have to say the generation of Russians who came through it would have been appalled to see Russian neo-Nazis at football matches or in the streets breaking heads in between giving the fascist salute.

That number 27 million dead, almost inconceivable, puts some context round this. I also have to say the generation of Russians who came through it would have been appalled to see Russian neo-Nazis at football matches or in the streets breaking heads in between giving the fascist salute.

The man who sees himself as a Stalin for the 21st Century is modelling himself on someone who only killed about 9M Soviets, so 66% better than a Nazi. Obvs.

Hopefully the 100 Carl Gustaf anti-tank weapons that little Justin T. is sending (plus 2000 rounds, apparently) will get to the Ukraine soon.

If only the lad had kept his mouth shut about it, there would be a much better chance of them getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back