advertisement

Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I think someone posted upthread, 'Nazi' seems to have slightly different connotations in Russia. While Western Europe thinks primarily of the holocaust, the Russian memory of WWII is dominated by the 27m Russian deaths at the hands of the Nazis. So 'Nazi' becomes shorthand for any military oppressors who seek to invade Russia.

That makes sense. FWIW I view Putin and the Belarus administration as exponentially more fascist than anything I’ve seen in Ukraine. They both have the nationalism, authoritarianism, white ethnic racism, homophobia, religious conservatism etc I associate with fascism.

According to reports on BBC Today this morning the 40 mile long Russian military convoy heading towards the capital Kyiv has hit problems due to breakdowns and shortages of petrol and food. I have no links or sources other than the BBC but the information was said to have come from "British intelligence". If true I find it astounding, and vaguely encouraging, that the Russian cannot maintain an effective logistical supply line so close to home, and which as far as I'm aware hasn't - yet? - come under serious enemy ground or air attack. Anyone else hear this?

According to reports on BBC Today this morning the 40 mile long Russian military convoy heading towards the capital Kyiv has hit problems due to breakdowns and shortages of petrol and food. I have no links or sources other than the BBC but the information was said to have come from "British intelligence". If true I find it astounding, and vaguely encouraging, that the Russian cannot maintain an effective logistical supply line so close to home, and which as far as I'm aware hasn't - yet? - come under serious enemy ground or air attack. Anyone else hear this?
I didn't hear it this morning, but it tallies with things said in the last day or two about that convoy. I hear it isn't one 40km long convoy, but a series of shorter convoys mostly stuck by logistical issues of one form or another, or blocked by the convoy in front being stuck... And the odd blown-up bridge, apparently also contributing to the mix.

Perhaps the convoy is somehow engaged by the Ukranian army?
If they are simply waiting for supplies that is indeed a surprise.

Edit:

If I were in that convoy I would feel like a sitting duck waiting for the hunter to finish me off.

Sorry if this has been answered, but as Poland, Romania, Germany(?) have opened their borders to Ukrainian refugees - after all the talking, have we? Im getting really agitated about the mainly young women and their children at various checkpoints. So many of them speak with great dignity and resolve.

1 & 2 are tricky but 3 is, sadly, more straightforward. They're NATO member states and have NATO forces deployed there.
I agree it would be difficult to intervene directly should Putin turn his ire to Moldova however my gut feeling is it would be fistie cuffs time over Finland/Sweden despite them not being in NATO due to there historical connections to western europe and more so than the former Soviet baltic states.

As I think someone posted upthread, 'Nazi' seems to have slightly different connotations in Russia. While Western Europe thinks primarily of the holocaust, the Russian memory of WWII is dominated by the 27m Russian deaths at the hands of the Nazis. So 'Nazi' becomes shorthand for any military oppressors who seek to invade Russia.

(Russian members - please correct me if I've misunderstood)
yes, the “Nazi” is the most easily recognisable, immediately inflaming and easy “enemy” to throw in, manipulate and brainwash the Russian people and public opinion to unite against the West and justify atrocities in Ukraine

Lavrov complains that the western sanctions amount to theft. Source: Der Spiegel.
But stealing a country via violence is still deemed acceptable? A strange set of morals these people have, they even take the piss after we complain about a nerve agent attack on our soil during peace time

Edit: They being the Putin types

Is a UK intelligence report https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk...nce-kyiv-has-made-little-progress-2022-03-03/

It seems Putin bought all the stuff about being the new Hitler and thought he could pull off a blitzkrieg. Hopefully has ended up a s**tzkrieg. Probably thought they'd be in Kyiv by now if they've run out of the basics.

I didn't hear it this morning, but it tallies with things said in the last day or two about that convoy. I hear it isn't one 40km long convoy, but a series of shorter convoys mostly stuck by logistical issues of one form or another, or blocked by the convoy in front being stuck... And the odd blown-up bridge, apparently also contributing to the mix.

Yeah, the might be bogged down or betaking down or it could be that they are sat there ready to move when the resupply is required and is safe to send one or more sticks forward. Having a "40 mile convoy" on satellite imagery that Russia knows will be taken and sent to news agencies around the world is an information tactic, a more powerful PR tool than parking up in smaller units across the countryside.

Also, Russia is not used to scenarios where long supply chains away from railheads are required. That will be their tactual weakness in Ukraine unless they can establish a safe logistics network in the country.

https://warontherocks.com/2021/11/feeding-the-bear-a-closer-look-at-russian-army-logistics/

They're also vulnerable to attack while stationary though.

Clearly, the Russians think they're not. Ukrainian forces are too busy focused on keeping major cities under their control. Attacking logistics lines is a lower priority and harder if you have no ground attack aircraft you can spare / risk.

A military expert was on this morning saying that a lot of the wheeled hardware is not really up to the job.
It's primary purpose being to look good in a procession at home to show off military strength.
Not so good at the long haul or mud.

Clearly, the Russians think they're not. Ukrainian forces are too busy focused on keeping major cities under their control. Attacking logistics lines is a lower priority and harder if you have no ground attack aircraft you can spare / risk.
Ideal targets for local insurgents, though.

A military expert was on this morning saying that a lot of the wheeled hardware is not really up to the job.
It's primary purpose being to look good in a procession at home to show off military strength.
Not so good at the long haul or mud.

For the convoy in Ukraine, that's not so much of an issue - it's using metalled roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back