advertisement

Ukraine V

Putin's reliance on Prigozhin, and public humiliation from a bunch of (often) criminal mercenaries succeeding where regular forces failed, and then calling them out for lack of support ("where's my ammunition?") upset too many in the Russian Ministry of Defence, notably Shoigu. AIUI Prigozhin thinks he had made himself irreplaceable, and has made no secret he wanted rewarding big-time for what he's achieved in Ukraine, for example, being made Minister for Defence, but the career officers in charge there won't have that upstart as their boss.

Wagner PMC currently has 50000 troops. That's a big fighting force, even if most of them are cannon fodder straight of of prisons, and they can do a lot of damage on the way to Moscow, even if it is a final throw of the dice or 'forlorn hope'.

Longer term, this is probably bad for Putin's regime. Not only is it losing a critical, battle-winning component of its forces in Ukraine, Wagner is also in charge of security at many of Russia's global interests (particularly Africa). This will have impacts on Russian global aspirations and / or weaken Russian military forces if they are sent to replace Wagner units. Even worse, Wagner then holds those overseas interests 'hostage'.

Whatever the wrongs and worse wrongs of Putin's Russia, a direct war between NATO and Russia would be a cataclysmic disaster. Expect the use of tactical nuclear weapons as a minimum.

What happens to Wagner if and when Prigozhin chokes on his borscht?

Given Russia's lack of sophistication in such things, I'd guess Wagner becomes 'rebranded' as new PMC led by another of Putin's chums to not lose 50000 soldiers; Wagner 'employees' are invited to either accept the new management, join the regular forces or go back to jug. If they decide to fight on as Wagner, then it only ends one way.

Inevitable that having a substantial private army alongside a state army would result in conflict (cf Sudan) and this may have the potential to further factionalise.

I don't know. Prigozhin is about Russia fighting a stronger campaign, with better leadership presumably.
Yes, but I wasn't advocating taking sides, but instead creating the maximum mayhem to the ultimate detriment of both the Puntin and Prigozhin factions.

Russian government forces have blocked the road 225 miles south of Moscow at Lipetsk. Wagner PMC have two choices- the faster M2 with fewer speed cameras or the longer M4 with the risk of speeding fines and having to carry change:

gYp1EHE.jpg

seems a no-brainer…

Pringles seems to have changed his mind and cancelled the coup.

I imagine there's a Russian glazier measuring up a replacement window about now.

I wonder if Moscow residents get to keep their hastily declared Monday bank holiday.

I doubt Prigozhin is worried about high windows, I imagine Putin has thrown the defence minister and a few others under the bus to buy him off.

Prigozhin`s march on Moscow seems to have been more effective than the Russian Army`s assault on Kiev at the beginning of the war.

advertisement

Back