advertisement

Ukraine V

Name calling is name calling overt or not.

What ever you want to call it, not engaging with a post, and using different techniques to attack the poster, is the very definition of ad hom.

Do you agree with the principle of attack the post, not the poster, or not?
Yes, but not rigidly and dogmatically. Rules for conduct often benefit from a bit of wiggle room.

It was certainly snark. Obviously disrespectful, and insult was implied. OTOH, it was 'polite' in the sense that it avoided profanity and overt name-calling.... In practice, it was a little lighter than what I think should draw moderator attention. You can't button a topic down super tight, ad-hom wise, human beings don't converse like that. When it is tried, it results in overwork for moderators and a quashing of all participation.

Agreed. If every post here containing snark required mod intervention, then I’m guessing Tony would shut the forum down.

I don’t use the ignore button, but I don’t think using it is necessarily a bad idea. As an alternative, I just quickly scroll past posts from a few members. One thing’s for sure, I will not allow myself be baited into replying to one of their posts. Life’s too short to repeat past frustrations.

Olympic levels of hypocrisy by some here but it is now time for a real Mod to jump in and clean up the thread.

Does anyone here speak Russian? Not sure if the translation here is accurate but if it is we should invite this woman onto this thread:

https://twitter.com/TreasChest/status/1637247484815654913
The translation was reasonably accurate, but I doubt this interview appeared on Russian TV. I would be very happy if it did, every crack in RP counts.

I agree, it’s not something that should require moderation. Self moderation should be sufficient.

I think I’ve noticed a pattern of response to @ks.234 Since he became something of a tireless advocate for MMT. I certainly don’t recall it from before then. Now you may find that tirelessness, er, tiresome, but it’s gone beyond that, into antipathy for the poster which generates noise beyond any reasonable criticism, IMV. The idea that ks pollutes threads, and does so intentionally, is to some extent self-fulfilling because of the response he gets when he makes any point loosely connected to economic theory or neoliberal politics.
I think you are largely correct, but I would say that I am not a tireless advocate of MMT. I rarely mention it. It is true that much of my economic understanding is informed by my reading of a number of MMT sources, but ultimately my conclusions are becoming more Liberal. That said, MMT did provoke an angry response in a few people, coincidentally a few of them also operate on this thread. Tax still doesn’t fund our government spending guys!

Agreed. If every post here containing snark required mod intervention, then I’m guessing Tony would shut the forum down.

I don’t use the ignore button, but I don’t think using it is necessarily a bad idea. As an alternative, I just quickly scroll past posts from a few members. One thing’s for sure, I will not allow myself be baited into replying to one of their posts. Life’s too short to repeat past frustrations.
If one choses to use snark and sarcasm then one has to accept at least some responsibility if one gets snark and sarcasm in response. Personally I try to avoid resorting to snark and sarcasm as an initial response, I will though respond in kind when on the receiving end.

Olympic levels of hypocrisy by some here but it is now time for a real Mod to jump in and clean up the thread.

Does anyone here speak Russian? Not sure if the translation here is accurate but if it is we should invite this woman onto this thread:

https://twitter.com/TreasChest/status/1637247484815654913
I got the impression the nice state TV lady was trying to get the 92 year old to self incriminate. I imagined a police van across the square, occupants twitching for a bit of action, even on their great grandmother.

I got the impression the nice state TV lady was trying to get the 92 year old to self incriminate. I imagined a police van across the square, occupants twitching for a bit of action, even on their great grandmother.
That is a worst case sceneario, hope it wasn't the case, but it may have been. Certainly now that the clip is somewhat viral, she is exposed to big trouble.

But the possibility that the whole thing is a scripted fake cannot be dismissed either.

So it seems your suggestion is that majority of posters should "self-police" our responses to KS's tireless posts, otherwise he will polute threads with his tiresome responses?

I have been quite polite in my messages, but got nowhere, so the next logical action was taken. I rarely use ignore (I think twice in many years), but this is why it's there.

Also, people's opinions on what is "polite" varies widely by geography, culture and experience. I am a product of NYC public schools and I am sure my level of gentility will be found lacking in some European mileus.

I don’t pollute threads at all, that is you with your constant ad hom and your inability to sustain an argument without it. Other people have described this thread as toxic, and your characterisation of entire peoples as “hurtful”.

If you are going to ignore me, then do so, but you can’t.

The US has used euphemisms. The phrase “look no further than Moscow for euphemisms” is nonsense.

I do not think you (and apparently others) understand the meaning of “look no further”. It does not mean that euphemisms haven’t been born in other countries (eg. USA) and wouldn’t in any way require a response explaining as such.

As this thread is named “Ukraine V” and obviously in regards to the Russian atrocities, reading “look no further than Moscow” within this thread is entirely appropriate and the furthest thing from nonsense.

In regards to real and actual nonsense, carry on.

I do not think you (and apparently others) understand the meaning of “look no further”. It does not mean that euphemisms haven’t been born in other countries (eg. USA) and wouldn’t in any way require a response explaining as such.

As this thread is named “Ukraine V” and obviously in regards to the Russian atrocities, reading “look no further than Moscow” within this thread is entirely appropriate and the furthest thing from nonsense.

In regards to real and actual nonsense, carry on.

That’s how I read Bart‘s post too.

That said, I think most of us would agree that the use of euphemisms to describe the horror of war is, at best, distasteful. The US military is guilty of this, as is pretty much every other country’s military.

https://legionmagazine.com/en/euphemisms-acronyms-and-outright-lies-the-language-of-war/

Couple of observations on the events of the last few days:

Putin wouldn't meet Xi on the tarmac, as he never appears in crowds.

His doubles (who look more and more unlike Putin, as he sickens and looses weight) handled the visits to Crimea and the very strange night car ride in Mariupol. During that visit, a shout from off camera was heard "it's not true, it's all for show" as PutinB visited with "residents" of a rebuilt building (who looked a lot like FSB agents who pose as regular folks in other videos with him). RPTV actually didn't catch it first time around and broadcast it, then edited it out.

That visit is a mirror image of a visit to the city by Hitler to that city during WW2. Hitler did visit in the daytime and appeared among his frontline troops, unlike Putin.

Xi announced that Putin will win the election in 2024 and continue being Russian leader. In Russia, with its' long memory of the Mongol rule, this seemed like the practice of that era when the Khan would arrive in the conquered Russian principalities and appoint a Russian warlord to rule in his stead.

Real Putin looked very unwell and nervous in his short televised meet-n-greet with Xi.

Reactions: RoA

advertisement

Back