advertisement

Ukraine IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think McArthur was in the cast. I suspect George C. Scott's character, Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson, was a send up of Air Force General Curtis LeMay, the balls-out commander of the Strategic Air Command. The even more totally-nuts Air Force guy, Brig. General Jack Ripper, he of the "precious bodily fluids," was what we'd now call a 'Q-ANON' type, and hopefully then and now modeled on no one quite real....

Just had some really ugly memories of the 1968 Presidential election, when LeMay was George Wallace’s running mate.

It seems Mick's and Clare's ideas didn't fall out of the sky. Seems they are media stars in Russia and China. Interesting reading and if accurate disappointing. People can draw their own conclusions. One quote from it 'Those two Irish people are absolutely involved on the wrong side of history,' said one Lithuanian MEP'

I look at it as similar to Farage's actions in the European parliament.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...-stars-of-authoritarian-state-media-1.4854028

Separately they are suing RTE. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/meps-mick-wallace-and-clare-daly-sue-rte-41545192.html

It seems Mick's and Clare's ideas didn't fall out of the sky. Seems they are media stars in Russia and China. Interesting reading and if accurate disappointing. People can draw their own conclusions. One quote from it 'Those two Irish people are absolutely involved on the wrong side of history,' said one Lithuanian MEP'

I look at it as similar to Farage's actions in the European parliament.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...-stars-of-authoritarian-state-media-1.4854028

Separately they are suing RTE. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/meps-mick-wallace-and-clare-daly-sue-rte-41545192.html
What’s the betting the pair accept an invitation to Moscow? Looking at the 13 ( vs majority of 637) who voted against the motion in the European Parliament, the sentiment was by no means pro Russia but against what they saw as escalation. Fair enough but for me what I think they don’t see is that escalation has arrived - Russia’s bloody invasion of Ukraine and Russia’s further threats of the same to other European countries and they are about to escalate further because their attempted decapitation of Ukraine has been an utter failure.

-by all means talk but keep filling the sand bags.

What’s the betting the pair accept an invitation to Moscow? Looking at the 13 ( vs majority of 637) who voted against the motion in the European Parliament, the sentiment was by no means pro Russia but against what they saw as escalation. Fair enough but for me what I think they don’t see is that escalation has arrived - Russia’s bloody invasion of Ukraine and Russia’s further threats of the same to other European countries and they are about to escalate further because their attempted decapitation of Ukraine has been an utter failure.

-by all means talk but keep filling the sand bags.

Yes and I can't see them giving it welly to Putin unless they have a desire to live in Siberia. A bit more detail on Mick for UK folks and the anubis character who seems to have disappeared since the sinking of the battleship. https://www.independent.ie/regional...s-debts-of-more-than-30-million-35306792.html

The question for the Kremlin at the moment is when do they tell the Russian public what has really happened to the Moskva and it’s crew. At the moment it’s looking like a Kursk style cover up/ denial presumably to buy time before the public and the relatives in particular are given the grim reckoning.

I think the 'cunning plan' is to make BloJo more 'popular' in the UK, thus extending the period of his idiotic 'leadership'. Given his preference for planning to build 'new nuclear' power stations in 20 years time as the 'solution' to dependency of countries on oil/gas rather than simply get on with building far cheaper and quicker wind power, etc, that makes sense from a Putin perspective.

Does this mean Lord Lovaduck of Siberia will now have to hand back his peerage, though?...

There's always been an anti-imperialist view here which the far left capitalised on over the years - hence the natural affiliations between Russia and parties like Sinn Fein and Daly/Wallace's People before Profit groups. The Russian invasion of Ukraine has put a spanner in the works for all but the more rabid ones fortunately - or perhaps unfortunately depending on how you look at it.

A straight lift from elsewhere that puts it better than I could:

As political scientist Dr. Elaine Byrne has put it, the Ukraine is now on the ‘ideological frontline between authoritarianism and democracy’. Those in the Irish political constellation who have backed Russia instead of the EU on several occasions should certainly reflect on that.

I'm fairly 'left wing' and have been since a lad. To me it seems weird that anyone at any time assumed that Putin was more than an Al Capone figure obsessed with himself who regards Russia as his willie! The idea that he has been 'anti' 'empires' is clearly nonsense... except being anti any 'empire' that isn't *his*. But then I never bought into the idea that the old USSR was actually 'left wing' either during any of my lifetime.

Since there are a lot of Brits on this forum, I'm wondering how they see the UK's high-profile role, compared to Germany or France. Is it an attempt by BJ to establish an image of the UK as a major global player? Or to cultivate ties with the US as a cornerstone of "the West"? Or perhaps is the UK doing what for European countries much closer to Russia, and thus in greater potential danger, it would be unwise to do? Does anyone know, or imagine, that UK policy is somehow coordinated with and approved by the major European nations?

^^^^^ All of that to some degree or other. Apart from it giving Johnson some cover I’m sure he is relishing it for all the wrong reasons. This is a man who would love to be the 21st century Churchill. It does seem he backed Wallace to deliver arms before it kicked off, but you can be prescient occasionally whilst still being a shite leader….

Since there are a lot of Brits on this forum, I'm wondering how they see the UK's high-profile role, compared to Germany or France. Is it an attempt by BJ to establish an image of the UK as a major global player? Or to cultivate ties with the US as a cornerstone of "the West"? Or perhaps is the UK doing what for European countries much closer to Russia, and thus in greater potential danger, it would be unwise to do? Does anyone know, or imagine, that UK policy is somehow coordinated with and approved by the major European nations?
You mean high profile role in facilitating the laundering of oligarch money? Wtf else high profile has the johnson, or indeed the UK, done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back