advertisement

Ukraine IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Croats were actually respected soldiers and the Germans considered them the best of the bunch out of all of the axis allies.

Proly the only proper Nazis of them all by any standard - had an independent death camp that horrified even Germans etc. But let's not dilute the topic.

Well, 273 in 850,000 Axis casualties on Eastern front...
273 planes claimed shot down in 3 tours (1943 and 1944 mostly) out of the roughly 8000 planes the Germans seem to have lost in the East between 1942 and late 1944 (hard to find good stats). So roughly 3%. It did not change the course of the war, but it was a successful unit.
Anyway, we digress.

The thread’s getting diluted and detached from reality right enough - there’s even shamans and poisonous toads. Perhaps that’s the point?

O, yes, exactly what is needed, another historical themed competition which is better/worse Russians or Americans.

Meanwhile, looks, that fighting for Russia in Ukraine actually not done by Russians themselves. At least in news I reading that Buryats taking second biggest loses of soldiers of all. Who knows from what other far away regions of Russia people go fight, they are poorest, probably they are more easily to convince to sign contract and fight for money. So much for defending Russian world with no Russian blood.

I guess we can be relieved that Vlad didn't announced the start of WW3.

For now. Sounds like most of his speech was 1) blaming NATO (left him no choice but to invade, etc.), and 2) a promise of financial support for families of dead Russian soldiers.

Interesting that he gave no clues as to what he plans next. I'm guessing that means either 1) he is stuck, and doesn't really know what's next, or 2) he simply needs more time before announcing his next big escalation.

Well worth a read.
https://rusi.org/explore-our-resear...es/operation-z-death-throes-imperial-delusion

yxTigPN.jpg

This is true, but the lend-lease equipment was very much needed for building the Red Army back up after Barbarossa in 1941 so that it could start pushing Germany back.

A lot has been said of Russian criticism of the delivered weapons, but the real help came elsewhere.

Lend-lease provided some 400,000 jeeps and trucks - especially the Studebaker trucks proved very reliable and suitable. Also 1,900 locomotives were provided during a time when the USSR produced 92 domestically. About 90% of the train wagons were also lend-lease. A lot of food was also sent, it has been estimated that if averaged out, for every day of the war, every Red Army soldier received half a pound of lend-lease food. Also half the aviation fuel, half of the explosives, half of the copper and aluminium supplies..

Basically the USSR could not have rebuilt and re-equipped and managed the logistics for the Red Army from 1942 onwards without lend-lease. Would the USSR have lost without it? I don't know. But at the very least the war would have dragged on for far longer that it did.
My mother still remembers American canned corned beef with gratitude.

Promptly withdrawn yesterday....

6fkjpf.jpg

Meanwhile it looked as if things get better for Ukr....

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-61373349

The Irish rock star and U2 frontman gave a surprise performance at a downtown metro station giving renditions of hits such as Sunday Bloody Sunday, Desire and With or Without You.

Bono also sang along side Taras Topolya, lead singer of popular local band Antytila, who called on the world to support Ukraine amid continued Russian attacks on the country.

Thanks for that. In my ignorance I thought it was some sort of ‘Johnny cum lately’ possibly dubious website because of the RUSI title:) Worth a read indeed !
The quality of both analysis and writing is excellent. An interesting turn of fate that their web address is rusi.com
We are only getting a crude picture of what’s actually going on in this war of aggression- yet enough to see the living hell Russia has created for Ukrainians in their own country.

Oh, dear! Some naughty little scamps have been busily at work, hacking Russian TV channels and internet news sites -

Just caught that this morning, how is Russian tv broadcast (satellite, cable or digital aerial)? I’ve been surprised that it hasn’t been hacked yet or “over ridden” by internal or external influences.
It would certainly get the truth out to all generations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back