advertisement

Ukraine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as you/me/whoever are blind by propaganda you can't trust.
You don't need context/details/facts to blame. It's your right.

American journalist Brent Reno, who had a New York Times publication ID with him, died in Irpen. Ukrainian resources have already rushed to blame Russian troops for his death, but a detailed examination reveals several characteristic details:

One of the survivors of the incident reported that a bullet hit Renault in the neck. The gunshot nature of the fatal wound is confirmed by another witness-a policeman. This confirms that the journalist was not killed by a stray artillery shell, but was shot at close range.

According to the policeman, the episode occurred at a roundabout at the exit from the village of Romanovka on the southern outskirts of Irpen. There are no Russian units in the area.
And there you go again. Do you have a source for this obvious pro Putin propaganda?

American journalist Brent Reno, who had a New York Times publication ID with him, died in Irpen. Ukrainian resources have already rushed to blame Russian troops for his death, but a detailed examination reveals several characteristic details:

One of the survivors of the incident reported that a bullet hit Renault in the neck. The gunshot nature of the fatal wound is confirmed by another witness-a policeman. This confirms that the journalist was not killed by a stray artillery shell, but was shot at close range.

According to the policeman, the episode occurred at a roundabout at the exit from the village of Romanovka on the southern outskirts of Irpen. There are no Russian units in the area.
What is the source for the text in italics?

Personally, I'm not going to accept anything that offers the kind of certainty suggested by the sentence 'There are no Russian units in the area' without knowing the credentials of the writer and publication. The Guardian, for instance, reports the story differently, including quotes from the fellow traveller. If you are going to post stuff like this here, back it up with attribution.

You may well be right, truth and facts are blurred and manipulated in every war but when you zoom out from the micro detail and see the broader picture, it’s Russia’s invasion and destruction of Ukraine. That’s real even when the Russian Foreign Minister says “we haven’t invaded Ukraine” or prior to the invasion when Russian officials described US warnings that invasion was imminent as “hysteria”.
People round the world, at least where theres freedom from media censorship, see Ukrainians bombed and killed where they shelter, the 2.6 million Ukrainians who’ve now fled their own country. The tanks, missiles, artillery destroying homes, factories, schools etc. Satellite imaging counts and positions every Russian vehicle. Russia has now lost the information war beyond its own borders. In a sense it doesn’t matter what the government of Putin says, outrage will grow and outrage will lead to action.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-film-maker-killed-by-russian-forces-ukraine
> 'We crossed the checkpoint and they started shooting at us'

Whose checkpoint and who started shooting? You don't need to question.
It's easy to blame Russians for all mortal sins.
No, not every sin though Brent Renault would not have been in Ukraine and shot dead if Russia hadn’t invaded Ukraine with an army of 150,000 soldiers. He’s alas only one of tens of thousands who will die as a consequence of Russia’s invasion.

Last edited:
On a lighter note (and don't we need some) a sign change here in Plymouth. :D
0_WhatsApp-Image-2022-03-13-at-33720-PM.jpg

Much as I'd love to see Putin assassinated, and / or the Russian military forcibly driven out of Ukraine I think this article suggests that what the west is currently doing is probably the best approach.

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2022/03/how-stop-putin-without-starting-wwiii/363062/

TL/DR - send lots of small arms, anti-tank, and anti-aircraft arms to Ukraine and support the refugees when they arrive in a NATO country, but do not get drawn into a war.

I see comments on this thread that Putin will not stop at Ukraine, and while I concede that Putin's desires probably extend beyond Ukraine, I suspect that since Ukraine is proving so costly that it has served as a significant reality check for Putin.
Entirely agreed. Even Putin can see the abysmal performance of the Russian Army in what was expected to be a complete walkover - against the firepower that NATO can command, it would be pulverised in very short order. That's probably why he has taken to weaving his nuclear stick - this is all he has.

Entirely agreed. Even Putin can see the abysmal performance of the Russian Army in what was expected to be a complete walkover - against the firepower that NATO can command, it would be pulverised in very short order. That's probably why he has taken to weaving his nuclear stick - this is all he has.
What a maniac: waving weapons of mass destruction around like that, pulverizing European cities just because he can. Makes Trump look strong and stable in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back