advertisement

UK General Election 2017 (Part IV) - Results Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which all begs the question why the f*ck could Corbyn not capitalise on her dire performance and win outright?

He'll never have a better chance again. I'm sure the next leader will learn from that performance, although politicians at this time don't seem to have much grey matter to do this so I could be wrong.

Refusing to look into tuition fee's, the onslaught against pensioner's and I'm being serious here, the fox hunting issue absolutely stuffed her.

She got way more seats than I expected seeing just how many people she'd pissed off with that incredible manifesto of hers.

I hate talking politics but this debacle is riviting, I simply am in awe of the incompetence of so many on both sides.

Incompetence on both sides? Are you mad? Corbyn has just presided over the biggest increase in Labour's vote share since Clement Attlee! With the most left wing manifesto since Michael Foot! In the face of a hysterical campaign of smears and lies from the press and his own party! He has just won Kensington! That is what we call a class alliance and it's only the start!

Incompetent!

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Apologies, very tired and emotional.

Incompetence on both sides? Are you mad? Corbyn has just presided over the biggest increase in Labour's vote share since Clement Attlee!

They were still a distant 2nd in the UK as a whole though, and a distant 3rd in Scotland.

I do find the whole fox hunting thing rather strange. It's not really who that would appeal to but more who it would piss off.

This axis is the most damaging one. N.Ireland is the most sensitive part of the UK to Brexit- that Border, the Good Friday Agreement and the majority voting against Brexit, now have an anti-Europe coalition riding over the wishes of the majority. Where will it blow first?

Judging by the map:

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-northern-ireland-40161885

perhaps the answer is to shrink Northern Ireland! Notice that Antrim (top right) is the Unionist heartland - Tyrone, Fermanagh, most of Derry (including the city) and substantial chunks of Armagh and Down are of a greenish hue. The map also pretty well coincides with the pro-/anti-Brexit division - in general, the Unionists want no truck with the Satanic Catholic powers of the European Continent. I'm afraid that my Unionist countrymen are slightly bananas in that regard.

That must be the worry for Labour. With the Tories that bad why was their progress so limited? Maybe they should have put up a campaign in Scotland for one thing.

It's not that long ago since the Tories had a 20% lead and many (including myself) were worried about a virtual wipe out of the Labour party - indeed that's why an opportunistic May called the election in the first place. Under those circumstances the Labour turn around was remarkable, helped in no small part by May shooting herself in the foot repeatedly.

LOL Kensington! If that is confirmed it s the biggest f*** off to the Tories and their shitty Brexit imaginable! Just fabulous news!

PS The Evening Osborne is running it as 'poised to take' (link).

It's not that long ago since the Tories had a 20% lead and many (including myself) were worried about a virtual wipe out of the Labour party - indeed that's why an opportunistic May called the election in the first place. Under those circumstances the Labour turn around was remarkable, helped in no small part by May shooting herself in the foot repeatedly.

Of course I'm not disputing that but when the dust settles will Labour find it odd that they've fallen so far that being a distant 2nd in England and a distant 3rd in Scotland is something worth celebrating?

I wonder how well Labour would have done if the media hadn't been so shit-stirring and 'heavy hitting' release of massive fearmongering features the days before the election?

Fantastic result for Labour am pleased to see them taking Warrington South & seeing young voters in big turnout. It could have been a lot worse, with a credible leader, and TV debate, the Conservatives could have taken it. Despite the best efforts of the right wing media to protect May she did not come across as strong, or stable.

Change takes time.

They were still a distant 2nd in the UK as a whole though, and a distant 3rd in Scotland.

2.4% & 1.5% is not what most people would call distant, more like "quite close":
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2017/results

UK result:
CON Conservative 42.4
LAB Labour 40.0
LD Liberal Democrat 7.4
SNP Scottish National Party 3.0

Scotland Result:
SNP Scottish National Party 36.9
CON Conservative 28.6
LAB Labour 27.1

1.5% behind conservatives in Scotland.

I agree, I'm not getting this whole 'we've had a right result' thing at all. Any time you have an election and don't form a government it's a failure, history could care less.

As for the 'we're in a great place for 2022' again it's an entire irrelevance. The EU deal will have been done several years before and will not be relevant.

Sturgeon, May and Corbyn are all damaged goods, I doubt any of them will be leading their parties in to a 2022 election.

Anyone care to educate me about the DUP? They sound like a nasty bunch of far-right arseholes:

https://ansionnachfionn.com/2017/06...ish-terror-groups-in-the-uk-general-election/

Is Theresa May now a "terrorist sympathiser" or do I just have to reset my moral compass? :)

That's what I meant when I said she has no integrity at all, she's been trying to level that one at Corbyn all along. I just hope that this suitably damages her reputation so as we can see the back of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back