advertisement

UK General Election 2017 (Part IV) - Results Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tories were 3 seat losses away from being ousted by a Labour/SNP coalition government.

How is that 'not anywhere close to being able to implement any of these policies'?

A loss, yes, but solid foundations have been laid, and austerity is dead as a political ideology.

I think that's a great night's work.

Also worth noting that a Labour government that the right-wing press (sadly including the BBC) dismissed as a joke and that May, Crosby, Dacre etc in all their puffed-up hubris and arrogance thought could be ground into the dust came within two percentage points of winning and took seats from the Tories in many of the most wealthy, educated and economically critical parts of the country. Also Corbyn wasvgetting bigger crowds than any UK politician since Churchill, maybe ever, so this is something on the move that surely now has to change the quality of reporting and narrative from our media? The BBC in particular have huge egg on their face at present and I'd very much like to think LK's position was somewhat precarious given her obvious bias and total inability to read huge grass-roots changes happening right under her nose. The tax-dodging printed press filth will continue to produce their bile despite being humiliated along with their government, but I'd like to think the BBC and other TV media bound either by the BBC charter and/or offcom rules might just have to take a long hard look at their behaviour. They certainly can't continue to blatantly misreport events without scrutiny.

It's an old photo, but meet the DUP...

Peter%20Robinson%20in%20paramilitary%20uniform.jpeg

There has to be a sitcom in this coming government.

I'm not sure I would see quite the same optimism in your position. The tories will be forming a government, Labour have lost. 5 years is a long time. That is the reality. JC has had a plucky campaign but still no keys to No. 10.
Too pessimistic for me.

The Tories' position is seriously weakened. That means there is hope for a non-suicidal Brexit and it limits the damage the Tories can do in the next five years (assuming they hang on for that long).

Meanwhile Corbyn's position is strengthened and I expect the vast majority of the PLP will swing behind him. I doubt he will lead Labour into the next election but his programme will live on, fronted by a younger more "media-friendly" leader who isn't vulnerable to the vicious "terrorist sympathiser" smears that, no doubt, lost Labour some support this time. Labour have everything to play for.

Rejoice! :D

Acording to some Facebook sources May has done a deal with the DUP.

Or as the Daily Mash put it:

'May rescued by Creationist Homophobes who think the Pope is Satan'

Mull

Perfect! They're also led by a swindler who's cronies took the tax payer for millions.

But if May's Queen's speech is passed, won't the fixed term legislation still have to be repealed at a later stage before we can have an early election (provided none of the other criteria I mentioned are met?)

In theory, but my guess is that the Government will lose a 'confidence' vote in the near future even if the Queen's Speech is passed. All the other parties want another election asap so I can't see a minority government lasting long in the current circumstances. The Tories might dump May quickly, get someone remotely competent in place and pull the plug themselves. It just shows what a daft idea the fixed term legislation was in the first place.

Also worth noting that a Labour government that the right-wing press (sadly including the BBC) dismissed as a joke and that May, Crosby, Dacre etc in all their puffed-up hubris and arrogance thought could be ground into the dust came within two percentage points of winning and took seats from the Tories in many of the most wealthy, educated and economically critical parts of the country. Also Corbyn wasvgetting bigger crowds than any UK politician since Churchill, maybe ever, so this is something on the move that surely now has to change the quality of reporting and narrative from our media? The BBC in particular have huge egg on their face at present and I'd very much like to think LK's position was somewhat precarious given her obvious bias and total inability to read huge grass-roots changes happening right under her nose. The tax-dodging printed press filth will continue to produce their bile despite being humiliated along with their government, but I'd like to think the BBC and other TV media bound either by the BBC charter and/or offcom rules might just have to take a long hard look at their behaviour. They certainly can't continue to blatantly misreport events without scrutiny.

Absolutely agree. We need accountability in the beeb re bias. And pruning too.
They were shameful.

The Tories were 3 seat losses away from being ousted by a Labour/SNP coalition government.

I think you need to check your maths; Lab + SNP = 296, Con = 318, so even a 3 seat swing would leave Lab + SNP at just 299 which is a fair bit short of the 326 required - or even the 322 without SF.

Still, at least if Lab got together with the SNP they would gain a leader.

I stayed up 'til 4:30, largely watching ITV which was excellent. I'm a big fan of Tom Bradby, so much better than BBC. Without Ruth Davidson, May would not have been able to form a government so I'm very thankful to her since this was not the election Labour wanted to win and a coalition of everything would have spelt doom for the lot of them. A limping May with DUP moderation (on Brexit, they're feudal on some things) is about the best possible result of what was feasible.

In theory, but my guess is that the Government will lose a 'confidence' vote in the near future even if the Queen's Speech is passed. All the other parties want another election asap so I can't see a minority government lasting long in the current circumstances. The Tories might dump May quickly, get someone remotely competent in place and pull the plug themselves. It just shows what a daft idea the fixed term legislation was in the first place.

Which means, theoretically at least, the DUP can decide if we have an election before 2022 or not - they can help get the Queen's speech through, then oppose repealing the fixed term act but support the Tories in a vote of no confidence. I'm sure that won't happen, but it could. Of course, as mentioned earlier, the Tories could always vote for no confidence in themselves, which I would pay good money to see.

Worth quietly pointing out for PR fans that the DUP get a massive 10 seats out of less than 300k votes! (BBC) The Greens polled way more than that to get just one. UKIP got nothing for even more.

Which means, theoretically at least, the DUP can decide if we have an election before 2022 or not - they can help get the Queen's speech through, then oppose repealing the fixed term act but support the Tories in a vote of no confidence. I'm sure that won't happen, but it could. Of course, as mentioned earlier, the Tories could always vote for no confidence in themselves, which I would pay good money to see.

I struggle to see how the DUP would want to oust the Tory Govt - they would effectively be letting Labour in which historically has been far more in favour of the nationalist agenda in Ireland.

Bear in mind, the full name of the Tory party is "The Conservative and Unionist Party" although rarely cited in that way.

The issue might be that the more liberal/centralist wing of the Tory party could be shocked at how right-wing and frankly backward some of the DUP policies are in a GB context. They play well in NI, but that's a whole different world vs. the rest of the country [and I say this a an 18-year resident of NI, then a 17-year resident in SE England/London, now living in Dublin].

Ironic that many voted for a progressive alliance and instead got a regressive alliance - comprising the Conservatives and the DUP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back