advertisement

UK Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you pay any tax?

I would suspect most pay taxes, a better question might be along the lines of ;

Do you withhold any tax income due to the government?
Do you employ any tax avoidance measures so as to deny income to the government?
Do you employ any aggressive tax avoidance measures so as to deny income to the government?
Do you employ any tax evasion measures so as to deny income to the government?

But to be honest I can not see what Brian's tax status has to do with anyone other then him and HMRC - can you?

I would suspect most pay taxes, a better question might be along the lines of ;

Do you withhold any tax income due to the government?
Do you employ any tax avoidance measures so as to deny income to the government?
Do you employ any aggressive tax avoidance measures so as to deny income to the government?
Do you employ any tax evasion measures so as to deny income to the government?

But to be honest I can not see what Brian's tax status has to do with anyone other then him and HMRC - can you?

Yes.

Having spent a large chunk of my working life helping successive governments flush huge amounts of tax payers money down the comunal lavatory, I long ago came to the conclusion that those who contributed the least were often the keenest on increasing the rate of spending other people's money.

Yes.

Having spent a large chunk of my working life helping successive governments flush huge amounts of tax payers money down the comunal lavatory, I long ago came to the conclusion that those who contributed the least were often the keenest on increasing the rate of spending other people's money.

Any my experience tells me that those who reject the communal good for narrow self-interest love talking about "their money"and constantly fail to notice that "contribute the least" means "have the least" and refers to people who overwhelmingly work at least every bit as hard as them.

Also I thought we had got past this 'Useful Idiot' line of arguing and pretty much everyone now accepted that support for tax avoidance is likely to lead to most people paying more not less tax. Heck, even George Osborne is against it now. Assuming you are not a 1%-er, in which case well played.

So what's the moral position for someone earning £1m and paying £450k in tax? Is he the enemy or the hero?

Do you pay any tax?

I am 56 years of age and have worked full time since leaving school in 1975, contributing tax via paye with the exception of 1 year when I was self employed on leaving the Services in 1987.

Does that answer your question?

I wonder if Jo, or any of the tory supporters at all will now answer mine?

I am 56 years of age and have worked full time since leaving school in 1975, contributing tax via paye with the exception of 1 year when I was self employed on leaving the Services in 1987.

Does that answer your question?

I wonder if Jo, or any of the tory supporters at all will now answer mine?

Partly.

As regards your other points, it rather depends on what they are all doing. UK productivity, including the public sector, is poor in comparison with the best in the EU and USA

Partly.

As regards your other points, it rather depends on what they are all doing. UK productivity, including the public sector, is poor in comparison with the best in the EU and USA
Any ideas why productivity has dropped over the last few years under this government or is productivity a bad measure of hard working workers in the UK?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/04/01/uk-britain-employment-productivity-idUKKBN0MS3SP20150401 http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...uels-questions-over-uk-recovery-10150616.html

Any my experience tells me that those who reject the communal good for narrow self-interest love talking about "their money"and constantly fail to notice that "contribute the least" means "have the least" and refers to people who overwhelmingly work at least every bit as hard as them.

Also I thought we had got past this 'Useful Idiot' line of arguing and pretty much everyone now accepted that support for tax avoidance is likely to lead to most people paying more not less tax. Heck, even George Osborne is against it now. Assuming you are not a 1%-er, in which case well played.

Hayek is my hero, particularly on people spending other people's money.

Hayek is my hero

I can see why ;)

salma-hayek-photos-4.jpg

Might be interesting to look at unit labour costs, total output, people employed, total hours, average hours per person along with productivity before and after the legislative changes for non-directly employed workers having the same rights as directly employed and zero hours contracts being used widely.

10 people working 30 hours a week (avoiding most NI costs)

vs

6 people working 50 hours week (high NI and overtime)

In the new world the latter is probably more expensive, but was it more productive?

When I have a few hours spare I'll see if the ONS has the data.

Vote for UKIP, not one of the other parties.

( this should be their winning slogan )

There's a poster by the Hope Not Hate collective which popping up all over Facebook. It says:

Voting for UKIP because you don't like the other parties is like saying "I hate Pepsi and Coke, so I'll drink urine."

Jack

That isn't why you should vote for UKIP.

The winning slogan I made up wasn't trying to suggest it either. Rather it was just a bit of dead-pan nonsense that noone would actually say. A campaign slogan like that might be more befitting of a Father Ted episode.

Osbornia Revisted

From NYT.

So the real British story is one in which the government and the news media have misrepresented the actual history both of policy and of policy debates. Academic economists aren’t fooled: they overwhelmingly disagree with the pro-austerity narrative. But the public may never hear about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back