advertisement

UK Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Osborne did make some tweaks to the austerity plan when he realised that it wasn't working given a number of outside factors. Credit to him is due for such pragmatism overiding ideology.

It is now working and a reintroduction of a more profligate approach is only going to undermine progress now taking place.
if they get to form another government they will return to cuts because their ideological desire to shrink the state trumps any economic objectives.

Paxman is not really a Tory and is famously apolitical. He used to be a Communist, was a member of the Labour group at Cambridge and once applied to edit the New Statesman. If I had to guess I would say he was an old school Tory paternalist who voted for Blair until he started invading countries.

But in the case of Paxman and Neill there has never been any suggestion that their political views affect their journalism which is consistently of the highest quality and reputation.

Matthew, I would not disagree with you.

If you look back a little, my comment about Tories at the Beeb was a response to a post from Joe Hutch. (# 669.)

I met his attempt at humour, with my (quite possibly equally poor....) attempt at humour.

Tony for whatever reason decided to infer from my words a whole scenario of thought and motivation far beyond what could reasonably be inferred from my words.

I did not accuse anyone of bias. But those I mention are Tories now

Not quite the same thing but I'm rather reminded of when I went into the decidedly left wing Grass Roots Books in Manchester during my studies. I was trying to source a copy of the classic work 'Political Parties', by Robert Michels. The sales person in Grass Roots told me with ill-disguised distaste that they would not stock such a book because Michels was a Fascist.
"Indeed he was", I replied. "But not when he wrote 'Political Parties'".

Mull

if they get to form another government they will return to cuts because their ideological desire to shrink the state trumps any economic objectives.

Why state the bleeding obvious - it's in their manifesto and it is there because it works.

Labour will do the same to a lesser degree as will the Libs. So the three main parties will continue with a varying degree of austerity.

If you disagree with austerity you got to vote SNP or Green because only they are anti.

Again all very obvious because it's in their manifestos. There is no need to state it here, I think we all know it.

The banks were only a significant part of the problem. Less profligacy during the boom leading up to the banking crisis would have left more money in the pot for Keynsian stimulus when the banking shit hit the fan.

Matthew, I would not disagree with you.

If you look back a little, my comment about Tories at the Beeb was a response to a post from Joe Hutch. (# 669.)

I met his attempt at humour, with my (quite possibly equally poor....) attempt at humour.

Tony for whatever reason decided to infer from my words a whole scenario of thought and motivation far beyond what could reasonably be inferred from my words.

I did not accuse anyone of bias. But those I mention are Tories now

Not quite the same thing but I'm rather reminded of when I went into the decidedly left wing Grass Roots Books in Manchester during my studies. I was trying to source a copy of the classic work 'Political Parties', by Robert Michels. The sales person in Grass Roots told me with ill-disguised distaste that they would not stock such a book because Michels was a Fascist.
"Indeed he was", I replied. "But not when he wrote 'Political Parties'".

Mull

Such is moral indignation against an author instead of his pertinent words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back