advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

Christ not the Venables mythology again. Southgate has already eclipsed his record, you may not care for the way they are playing but the results are just that. Pity there was no VAR in ‘96, it would have spared us two penalty shoot-outs as Salinas’ goal would have stood and the Venables legend would be put in some perspective. “Give me lucky Generals”.
At least he had guts to take a penalty, I seem to recall there were some better placed alternatives.

At least he had guts to take a penalty, I seem to recall there were some better placed alternatives.

I’m not sure why you mention that, nobody said he didn’t or anything about the shoot-outs. The point is the mythical status of Venables when England would not have got that far in ’96 had the QF linesman been awake then, or indeed under current VAR.

Southgate’s record compares favourably.

This takes us full circle. Is the result more important than the performance? Do they want to be known as "Boring, Boring, England" grinding out 1 goal victories? Personally, I feel the game has moved on...

Speaking of which:
Don’t be surprised if the selection committee starts the next match with an unchanged team.

The real comparison is how other coaches would have performed over the last eight years with the same players. The answer to that is hypothetical of course. However, we all have our opinions…
Spot on.

Southgate’s inability to get the best from a group of players, his team selections, his failure to make substitutions during a match that change the match, a lack of organisation and lack of a game plan being executed by the players shows he is limited as a manager. I’m reminded of a cabbage…

I hope he can do better though because…
1. I’m English
2. I don’t want England trying to poach EH from Newcastle

Last edited:
The managers get the credit and the stick by being the figure heads but it's really often the coach(es) who are working with the players on the training field, working on ideas and tactics while the manager manages the team (in the non-footballing sense). It's been nearly 20 years since Southgate was appointed at Boro, his only club managerial role, while the game as moved on greatly in that time. Southgate is McClaren's man..

James Richardson made the point that Spain beat them 7-1 in qualifying

Georgia came fourth in their qualifying group, behind Spain, Scotland, and Norway, and are in this tournament after beating Luxembourg and Greece (on penalties) in the play-offs, having been promoted from the third level of the Nations League.

Three games later…

I’m not sure why you mention that, nobody said he didn’t or anything about the shoot-outs. The point is the mythical status of Venables when England would not have got that far in ’96 had the QF linesman been awake then, or indeed under current VAR.

Southgate’s record compares favourably.
Sorry, it was a reference to an earlier post about him missing a penalty. I am actually one of the few on here supportive of Southgate & have addressed the Venables claims in the past. Venables was mates with a lot of journalists, he gave good copy & he wasn't in post long enough for the press to turn on him.

I actually think one of the reasons that Southgate gets a hard time from the media is that he's very self contained & doesn't really pander to them. There is a bit of a social media pile on & TV doing Vox Pops with semi drunken England fans doesn't help.

I had to laugh when someone on Instagram referred to Southgate as 'bang average', obviously has no idea what 'average' means.

advertisement

Back