advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

Kane is at his peak. There are no better strikers in the squad, it’s quite simple really.

Watkins & Palmer will get their chance.
Greaves is still England's greatest goal scorer on a game per goal ratio, he was the best striker in the English game in '66. The manager was very brave & dropped him for the final after getting injured earlier but was fit & ready, we won the world cup & Hirst scored a hattrick.

Kane is not at his peak, he scored goals in a mediocre league last season & looked like a spent force in the first game.

We will see how the tournament progresses but he can't keep having matches trying to get foals & waiting for something to happen.

Greaves is still England's greatest goal scorer on a game per goal ratio, he was the best striker in the English game in '66. The manager was very brave & dropped him for the final after getting injured earlier but was fit & ready, we won the world cup & Hirst scored a hattrick.
& your point is?

Greaves was probably about our best ever player & still relatively young at the time, a far better player than Hirst but he got injured. Hirst took his chance & there were fewer substitutes back then.

We may have won more comfortably with Greaves in the final, who knows?

If Kane gets injured or his form drops he will be replaced.

We have a great deal of talent. Shoehorning doesn't work.
Rice, Bellingham, Foden picks itself, IMO.
Eze on the left, Saka on the right, Kane up front.
Others are cover.
TTA is cover for Walker.
I would agree with you up to a point, I still have a niggling doubt about Kane. I have to say he is a great player, but he can be slow and with Foden and Bellingham I can't help thinking we need someone with a bit more pace and movement. It reminds me of when Shearer was England's no.9, everything went through him and the opposition knew that. I remember when he was injured, England played two strikers, one was Ian Wright, the name escapes me for the other one, but it doesn't matter, England looked far more dangerous than they had done in their more recent games.

I would agree with you up to a point, I still have a niggling doubt about Kane. I have to say he is a great player, but he can be slow and with Foden and Bellingham I can't help thinking we need someone with a bit more pace and movement. It reminds me of when Shearer was England's no.9, everything went through him and the opposition knew that. I remember when he was injured, England played two strikers, one was Ian Wright, the name escapes me for the other one, but it doesn't matter, England looked far more dangerous than they had done in their more recent games.
I think Eze and Saka would bring that can bring that and allow Bellingham and Foden to be more of a central threat, playing off Kane. Southgate's conservatism, insisting on two CDMs, possibly because he is not confident in the back 4, will stifle our creativity and build opponent confidence. Rice is more than capable of covering. All in my opinion, of course.

I should also caveat everything with the expression that first games can be tricky. Any team winning their first match is in a decent position. The expectations are high, as is the pressure, yet the team have not found their rhythm. I detest our obsession with individuals and wonder if it is the same elsewhere in the world. The commentary across all platforms could have led anyone to believe that this is an individual sport, yet our team has had wonderful individuals for years, and has won nothing.

Everyone has a favourite player surely? It becomes a bit joyless if we can’t celebrate talent. Pretty much all countries have a talisman, a favourite.

Different people will have differing preferences & it’s not mutually exclusive.

I think Eze and Saka would bring that can bring that and allow Bellingham and Foden to be more of a central threat, playing off Kane. Southgate's conservatism, insisting on two CDMs, possibly because he is not confident in the back 4, will stifle our creativity and build opponent confidence. Rice is more than capable of covering. All in my opinion, of course.

I should also caveat everything with the expression that first games can be tricky. Any team winning their first match is in a decent position. The expectations are high, as is the pressure, yet the team have not found their rhythm. I detest our obsession with individuals and wonder if it is the same elsewhere in the world. The commentary across all platforms could have led anyone to believe that this is an individual sport, yet our team has had wonderful individuals for years, and has won nothing.
Who are the two CDMs? I’m confused, we certainly didn’t have two in the pitch on Sunday?

Perhaps we needed two in the 2nd half?

There’s no one really pushing for Kanes place & he’s a far better all round player than Shearer. Sets up a lot of goals also.

Two strikers up front just isn’t a thing in the modern game, hasn’t been for a good while & it explains why the role of a forward has changed.

I do miss the old days of the strike partnership but it doesn’t seem to work at the highest level.

There’s no one really pushing for Kanes place & he’s a far better all round player than Shearer. Sets up a lot of goals also.

Two strikers up front just isn’t a thing in the modern game, hasn’t been for a good while & it explains why the role of a forward has changed.

I do miss the old days of the strike partnership but it doesn’t seem to work at the highest level.
I'm not saying we need a strike partnership, just maybe too much goes through Kane and the opposition knows that. I'm not so sure Kane is a better player than Shearer for his time, and if Shearer was playing today he may well have played a little different. I don't like Kane moving in to a deeper role when he's the main striker. If you want him to play deeper then get another striker to play up front. When England were under pressure there was no release valve. I think Kane does some good work in defence but England must leave someone forward, maybe Bellingham, he's strong and can hold the ball.

Who are the two CDMs? I’m confused, we certainly didn’t have two in the pitch on Sunday?

Perhaps we needed two in the 2nd half?
Well if Bellingham was, allegedly, playing as a ten, then Rice and TTA were more defensive. The midfield was a mess, IMO, and gave Pickford the endless excuse to hoof it.

Anyway, enough about the Serbia game. We move on to Denmark and, hopefully, an improved performance.

2WCYVY3V7SNOR3DVUWFKMUHPVY.jpg

This is a little out of date being at the end of March but Vik was already on 50 goals + assists then! The BBC is full of guff about Kane. He's probably moving on for around £80m this summer

Viktor Gyökeres is the most prolific centre forward in European football at present. The Swedish striker has now 50 goal contributions all season for Sporting CP, more than any other player on the continent. His 36 goals and 14 assists top Harry Kane’s 37 goals and 10 assists, or Mbappé's 38 goals and 8 assists with Erling Haaland trailing the trio on 29 goals and 6 assists.

Yes. With hindsight he was one we let go too cheaply. Hopefully we had a sell-on clause

I'm not saying we need a strike partnership, just maybe too much goes through Kane and the opposition knows that. I'm not so sure Kane is a better player than Shearer for his time, and if Shearer was playing today he may well have played a little different. I don't like Kane moving in to a deeper role when he's the main striker. If you want him to play deeper then get another striker to play up front. When England were under pressure there was no release valve. I think Kane does some good work in defence but England must leave someone forward, maybe Bellingham, he's strong and can hold the ball.
Have you seen how many assists he has?

Football is different now. Shearer often had a strike partner & didn’t have the all round game to play up front on his own. Top striker in his time though.

Well if Bellingham was, allegedly, playing as a ten, then Rice and TTA were more defensive. The midfield was a mess, IMO, and gave Pickford the endless excuse to hoof it.

Anyway, enough about the Serbia game. We move on to Denmark and, hopefully, an improved performance.
This was my point, it appeared as though you were criticising Southgate for playing two CDMs when he wasn’t. You could argue that he should have but he’s been criticised for caution in the past.

It was interesting reading about TAA contributions today, I didn’t think he played too well but he had a 91% pass completion & played some key balls throughout the game. As fans we look at the game differently to coaches & we don’t have all the analytics to back it up.

Sometimes we have to admit that we probably don’t know as much as we think, I’m certainly guilty of that.

advertisement

Back