advertisement

Tumble dryers..?

Bought a used Miele on Facebook for £150. It works like a dream and I will not buy new again as people change their kitchen like they change socks. Fortunately, a vented type was fine as it just sits in the shed with the vent hose placed alongside it.

We bought a Bosch vented dryer 5 or so years ago, thinking it would be simpler and so more reliable than a condenser type.
Big mistake - the thing was supposed to sense when clothes had dried, but usually stopped it's drying cycle when clothes were still wet. Bosch weren't able to sort it.

In frustration, I bought a second-hand Bosch condenser dryer which has worked well - and without any dust issues.
The vented dryer ended up in the garage out of the way; we tried it one day without the venting tube connected and the thing worked perfectly !
I'm guessing that having the 5ft long venting tube in a loop behind the tumble dryer somehow prevented the moisture sensing system from working.

For what it's worth, my advice would be to go for a condensing dryer.

just had a nightmare with a hotpoint tumble dryer [ vented] they have stopped you using plastic piping which is more flexible . you HAVE to use big metal tubing that is bulky and takes up more space and harder to fit . Wont be fitting any more vented dryers now ... its condensor ones in future after this fiasco

Buy a washing line - 6mm 6-6 SS wire rope here will see several, and more, generations out.

I used to have a tumble dryer, bought maybe 30 years ago. I went to use it maybe 10-15 years ago and the casting holding the motor had crystallised, and snapped.

I have found weather "awkward" just once in 40 years - last spring? last autumn? Like so much in modern life, dryers are a modern invented "neccessity".

I have found weather "awkward" just once in 40 years - last spring? last autumn? Like so much in modern life, dryers are a modern invented "neccessity".

I used to love smacking my Dad's shirts with a stick when they were hanging, frozen solid, on the washing line ..

Alternative was the rack in the kitchen that could be hoisted to the ceiling ... all the water vapour helping the black mould thrive elsewhere in the bungalow ....:D

We were 5, growing up.
My mother started EARLY on a Saturday morning - boiler, wash-board, tub and peggy-leg. The washing went out on sisal rope that had a waxed cotton sleeve/covering, the entire length of the garden.
The washing and drying got done 99/100. Other than that, if there was a fire in the house, there was the clothes horse........

Yes, I do remember the very rare occasions - probably the 64-65 winter - when washing came in like parchment.

Good Evening All,

Our old dishwasher become uneconomic to continue repairing. Some time previously Kate had accepted the offer of a 'free' UBG Miele dishwasher from somebody re-fitting the kitchen of a house they had bought. It had sat outside in the outbuildings with a plastic sheet over it. It has been in use for now for at least two years. I've just consulted the manual:-

przpF6X.png

TBH I don't see that there is an excess or wasted energy here. We still do end up using the sink but I always end up utilising the water to clean the kitchen floor by getting down on my hand and knees with a cloth.........

The condensing tumble drier is also pretty efficient:-

QaFLP0B.png

The Meaco dehumidifier operates automatically 24/7 to dry most of the laundry in the front room. In saying that it doesn't actually operate that much but it's operating hours are greater in the summer months:-

L1Ry2fw.png

All relatively low users but it does all add up.

Regards

Richard

It has LONG been accepted that for most cases, so long as it is full, a dishwasher is a saving over other methods.

The alternative to a tunble-dryer costs nowt.

I do not see anyone going back to applying so much elbow grease to washing clothes as my mother and previosu generations did, no matter what.

I have 4 Merino tops for the winter months and wash them in Spring when they can go on the line.

I’ve had a Whirlpool one since 2002. I changed the resistance twice, re-oiled the motor about four or five times, replaced the belt, the back felt gasket.
Still works fine.

Buy a washing line - 6mm 6-6 SS wire rope here will see several, and more, generations out.

I used to have a tumble dryer, bought maybe 30 years ago. I went to use it maybe 10-15 years ago and the casting holding the motor had crystallised, and snapped.

great if you have a garden !! the place in question is tiny and what garden there is has a massive trampoline , added to that the family work everyhour God sends night and day and havnt got time to faff about !! In the winter folks put clothes over doors , bannisters etc etc and you soon start getting mould so a TD is a real benefit in reducing mould when you have a young family

what garden there is has a massive trampoline

lifestyle choice

added to that the family work everyhour God sends night and day and havnt got time to faff about !! In the winter folks put clothes over doors , bannisters etc etc and you soon start getting mould so a TD is a real benefit in reducing mould

clothes horse and dehumidifier which is what we use - no mould no damp, dry clothes

lifestyle choice

clothes horse and dehumidifier which is what we use - no mould no damp, dry clothes
Solar panels, decent dryer in the garage. Runs for free, produces zero moisture in the air. Towels and underwear come out nice and soft, which is so important!

advertisement

Back