advertisement

Tumble dryers..?

steveinspain

pfm Member
We bought a cheap hoover condensing tumble dryer a couple of years ago - just long enough for the warranty to expire. Never had one before as living in Spain meant no need.
Anyway, the house has seemed to be mega dusty ever since (despite regular cleaning etc) and today it started to make odd noises and refused to rotate, then I smelt smoke.
I figure a new one may be needed, and I'm not convinced that it has to be a condensing type - I can drill a 107mm hole easy enough if required.
So, a long way from hifi, but do any of you have any recommendations or suggestions about what type to look at (was my hoover one just too cheap or do all condensing ones fill houses with lint dust?)
I'd rather not go to the top price ones like Miele unless they really are worth it but any replies will be appreciated!

Watching this with interest as my rear vent dryer has just started to smell of burning with a screachy noise, had it since 2005 tho.

Well, it might not be what you want to hear, but we have had two Mieles (both heat-pump condensers) and no sign of any lint etc anywhere. They do take a bit longer to work but the results are consistently good.

Also our electricity bills were a fraction of what we paid with the previous Hotpoint vented drier. When we had it, I was convinced someone had tapped our electric line!

We got a Blomberg heat pump dryer from our local Euronics outlet. Have had it a couple of years with no issues so far. They are much more efficient than vented or condensing dryers (A+++ rating) and we haven’t noticed any dust issues. I think it was about £400 when we got it, and it came with a 4 year warranty. They seem well reviewed online too.

I once bought the latest in heat pump dryers thinking it would save electricity and it was a total loss, so bad at drying that I scrapped it while it was still under the warranty having been repaired three times and never drying clothes properly. Whirlpool or Indesit I think. I now consider dryers as disposable.

The best rear venting dryer I had went the way of the burning smell and high temperature so I scrapped it as it was quite old by then. While dismantling it I found a ball of hardened fluff and grit which had built up over years half blocking the internal pipe to the exhaust. A shame as it could have been fixed had I known. All the dryers I've had since have been garbage quality. The current effort is an Indesit and the bearing wore out after a couple of years, although the replacement part is only 12 quid.

We bought a cheap hoover condensing tumble dryer a couple of years ago - just long enough for the warranty to expire. Never had one before as living in Spain meant no need.
Anyway, the house has seemed to be mega dusty ever since (despite regular cleaning etc) and today it started to make odd noises and refused to rotate, then I smelt smoke.
I figure a new one may be needed, and I'm not convinced that it has to be a condensing type - I can drill a 107mm hole easy enough if required.
So, a long way from hifi, but do any of you have any recommendations or suggestions about what type to look at (was my hoover one just too cheap or do all condensing ones fill houses with lint dust?)
I'd rather not go to the top price ones like Miele unless they really are worth it but any replies will be appreciated!
I've only ever bought the very cheapest non-condensing machines I could find and put them in the garage along with the similarly specced el-cheapo washing machine. I just chuck the vent house out the garage window. Both current machines are about 12 years old and still going strong. IMBE there is little or no correlation between price, efficiency, running costs and longevity of white goods.

I have a hoover condenser. Your issues sound like they could be the motor start/run capacitor. Ours failed and set the relay on the control PCB smokey. Now motor cap (about £9) and pcb relay (about £4) and its still going.

For washing machines and tumble dryers I find Bosch the best balance between cost and quality. We have a Bosch condensing, no dust, still ok after over 9 years, only issue was broken handle. Easily available online cheap, easy fix.

For washing machines and tumble dryers I find Bosch the best balance between cost and quality. We have a Bosch condensing, no dust, still ok after over 9 years, only issue was broken handle. Easily available online cheap, easy fix.
I had a Bosch. I'll not buy anything they or their associated companies make ever again. The thing was noisy and tangled everything. I complained to Bosch about the tangling. "Yes sir, we know they do that. We've made something to cure the problem. It's free but you'll have to pay £90 to get it fitted." And the new part didn't work anyway. The bloody thing had to go, to be replaced by a Miele.

Bosch heat pump dryer, the only dust you get is when cleaning out the filter. We had a hotpot which was rubbish, I ended up replacing lots of sensors and in the end the heating element went, I hated it as it shrunk my clothes, but I think they all do that and that's why I don't use it for my clothing.

I had to change a belt on my Indesit recently - it seems that they don't like trainers banging round in the drum. In any case, I had to strip the thing right down and I papped myself when I saw how much lint had got into every corner, component, heating parts.....I can see now how they could combust! Scary stuff.

Just about to replace a rear vented hotpoint dryer that is 4 years old and making a noise . I bought one in may and it's gone up 50 quid since then

Hard to find one in stock and very little choice except one at hotpoint direct . John Lewis don't even sell them

Never had a problem with condenser dryers so can't see why lint collecting .

just wondering whether to get one as this vented one has only lasted 4 years . It has to pump air quite a distance so perhaps it's too much effort !! Normally they last longer than 4 years

just a brief search shows incredibly low stocks of bosch tumble dryers !!

advertisement

Back