advertisement

Trump Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Democrats' Chief accountant on the upcoming campaign: "Let's hope the lockdown will last until November. That'll save us someting around $$$'$$$'$$$'$$$ for the same result".

Trump’s aim will be to suppress Coronavirus in Republican areas and suppress voting in Democrat ones. His friends get the ventilators.

From what I’ve seen Biden literally can’t finish a sentence, and lots of Dems are celebrating Bernie’s departure. Often I can’t quite believe what’s going on in the UK, and then you look westwards. JFC.

From what I’ve seen Biden literally can’t finish a sentence, and lots of Dems are celebrating Bernie’s departure. Often I can’t quite believe what’s going on in the UK, and then you look westwards. JFC.

This was the most disappointing US presidential election ever IMHO. A choice between three wealthy old white men. Trump will almost win if Coronavirus doesn’t take him out first. If Coronavirus takes both Trump and Biden out it may just get a little more interesting...

PS Obviously any Democrat is exponentially better than any Republican, but come on, this really is a depressing field. US politics, like the UK desperately needs some young, dynamic and diverse people coming through.

I guess it's possible that Biden will withdraw his candidacy on health grounds. This will pave the way for a Democratic Party convention stitch-up which might, at least, give is a challenger with a bit more energy and fight.

Old man vs old man with a lethal virus circulating. November might require changes.
But one is a decent old man, who admits he's only a stopgap, and the other is a thoroughly iniquitous old man who will pull any stunt in order not to be labelled a "loser". This is where we get a measure of what the USA really is. The thing that I fear is that the crude, crass, terminally dishonest, completely narcissistic Trump, contemptuous of expertise and desperately needing constant adulation, really is an exact reflection of a very large slice of the US population

But one is a decent old man, who admits he's only a stopgap, and the other is a thoroughly iniquitous old man who will pull any stunt in order not to be labelled a "loser". This is where we get a measure of what the USA really is. The thing that I fear is that the crude, crass, terminally dishonest, completely narcissistic Trump, contemptuous of expertise and desperately needing constant adulation, really is an exact reflection of a very large slice of the US population
I'm not sure this is the best way to measure what the USA really is. Pitching a malicious but also very accomplished con man against a handsy stuffed suit visibly declining into senile dementia...it's not a contest likely to bring out the best in people, IMO. I don't think it's the American public that should take the rap for this one, when there are powerful people who knowingly worked very hard to serve up them up with this horrific dilemma, and are currently crowing about it.

If this is substantiated, he’s in trouble. It blows his WHO, Chinese Govt scapegoating out of the water-

US officials warned in November that the coronavirus was spreading through China’s Wuhan region, according to ABC News.

US military analysts from the National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI) “ concluded it could be a cataclysmic event,” one of the sources of the report told ABC News. The Defense Intelligence Agency, the Pentagon and the White House were all briefed, according to the source.
(The Guardian, today).

I'm not sure this is the best way to measure what the USA really is. Pitching a malicious but also very accomplished con man against a handsy stuffed suit visibly declining into senile dementia...it's not a contest likely to bring out the best in people, IMO. I don't think it's the American public that should take the rap for this one, when there are powerful people who knowingly worked very hard to serve up them up with this horrific dilemma, and are currently crowing about it.

I'd like to think you're right, but I'm not so sure. Remember how, in 2016, the Republican Party and its wealthy backers tried so hard NOT to select Trump - think of how his now-fawning acolytes such as Lindsay Graham and Ted Cruz made all sorts of anti-remarks. How did he manage? Because, I suspect, many Americans saw themselves in him someone uninhibited, ready to say things that people shouldn't say, but that they'd really love to say. Most appalling has been the surrender of US alleged Christianity, which has sold its soul for political gain.

I don't know about Biden having dementia, but I know he has always had a major problem with a stutter and his trying to control this and the slips it causes. Most of the commentary about Biden's alleged dementia that I've seen has come from right-wing sources that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw the Queen Mary.

I don't know about Biden having dementia, but I know he has always had a major problem with a stutter and his trying to control this and the slips it causes. Most of the commentary about Biden's alleged dementia that I've seen has come from right-wing sources that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw the Queen Mary.

I have a stutter. I've suffered from an inability to finish sentences since childhood. It's a nightmare when I'm speaking German!

The thing that I fear is that the crude, crass, terminally dishonest, completely narcissistic Trump, contemptuous of expertise and desperately needing constant adulation, really is an exact reflection of a very large slice of the US population

I think Trump's base are
- crass
- contemptuous of expertise
- feeling the immense pain of living in a country where if you're not making $200k a year or more you are likely one illness / misfortune from bankruptcy and you live in constant fear of job loss, health loss, or violence.
- just want the libtards to feel some of their pain (not realizing that WE DO feel their pain, and we've been trying to elect governments to address it)

I don't think they are
- terminally dishonest (instead I think gullible, or concrete thinkers)
- narcissistic & in need of adulation
- I think these are part of Trump's genetics - I wouldn't level them at his supporters.

I think Trump's base are
- crass
- contemptuous of expertise
- feeling the immense pain of living in a country where if you're not making $200k a year or more you are likely one illness / misfortune from bankruptcy and you live in constant fear of job loss, health loss, or violence.
- just want the libtards to feel some of their pain (not realizing that WE DO feel their pain, and we've been trying to elect governments to address it)

I don't think they are
- terminally dishonest (instead I think gullible, or concrete thinkers)
- narcissistic & in need of adulation
- I think these are part of Trump's genetics - I wouldn't level them at his supporters.
OK, my mistake to suggest that all of Trump's foibles are shared by his ardent supporters, but it seems to me that an alarming proportion is shared. It seems to me that Trump has, in effect, opened Pandora's Box - he has rendered the things that one only thought about, but would in general never admit to thinking, to be voiced out loud and given a hearing. In short, Trump appears to have given voice to a substantial proportion of ordinary America, filled with tribalism, detestation toward the other tribes and funny foreigners and their funny ways, disdainful of anyone with even a glimmering of expertise and anyone who tells them that the world is actually rather more complicated than they prefer to think. If he gets another 4 years, say goodbye to the USA as you currently know it. I do hope that the Democrats avoid infighting and get together against the only thing that matters - getting this nutcase out of the White House.

OK, my mistake to suggest that all of Trump's foibles are shared by his ardent supporters, but it seems to me that an alarming proportion is shared. It seems to me that Trump has, in effect, opened Pandora's Box - he has rendered the things that one only thought about, but would in general never admit to thinking, to be voiced out loud and given a hearing. In short, Trump appears to have given voice to a substantial proportion of ordinary America, filled with tribalism, detestation toward the other tribes and funny foreigners and their funny ways, disdainful of anyone with even a glimmering of expertise and anyone who tells them that the world is actually rather more complicated than they prefer to think. If he gets another 4 years, say goodbye to the USA as you currently know it. I do hope that the Democrats avoid infighting and get together against the only thing that matters - getting this nutcase out of the White House.

In other words Trump has done to the USA what Brexit has done to the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back