advertisement

Transports all sound the same...

One aspect that needs to be taken into account is the differences in rate and nature of the separate evolutions of transports and DACs and their key "bought-in" components.

Taking each individually and starting with transports:

The major bought-in element has, from the start, been the optical mechanism comprising spindle, disk support, and speed control servo circuitry plus the optical read circuitry with its error detection/correction logic.

The OEMs like Philips, Sony, Sanyo, Teac, etc. have - between them - driven (and been driven by) the conflicting (and evolving) priorities of quality and price-point which has resulted in finite product life cycles for these bought-in elements.

External (to the audio market) factors such as the explosive growth of optical disk peripheral usage in computers and, more specifically, in PCs, has had its impact with TEAC switching focus almost completely to computer drives (while leaving their Esoteric (audio-only) division to drive their VRDS Neo range of mechanisms (which are prohibitively costly for use in any but the most expensive consumer products (eg dCS).

Philips was also not immune to these market forces, and their early star optical mechanisms (CDM-4, CDM-9 and CDM-9PRO) were casualties and subsequent replacement mechanisms were even more short-lived.

Due to the conflicting priorities and different consumption volumes between computer and audio markets, PLUS the drop-off in pure audio-only Red-Book-compatible mechanisms, it would appear that the computer market is the primary driver for these OEMs.

As a result, many CD transports and players have wound up using "universal drives" initially targeted at the PC market and tweaked for use in the audio market. These mechanisms have extended initial "disk inserted to disk ready" timings due to adding the required logic to identify the type of disk (one aspect), to slot-load mechanisms with below par disk clamping, to higher levels of jitter (due to mass market production standards).

In summary, the overall quality of these key components has declined.

Meanwhile, in the DAC world, where there lies another key "bought-in" element - this time the DAC chip used.

Early DACs tried to address the issue of jitter by introducing links to synchronise the clocks in transport and DAC by slaving the DAC clock to the clock in the transport.

Over time, DAC manufacturers looked at other answers to the problem of jitter and, after some experiments with interface devices, started to implement re-clocking the digital signal in the DAC in their attempts to provide improvements in SQ despite the dropping quality of the digital feed (that was driven by the growth of the PC market and its impact of optical mechanism quality).

The nett effect on the DAC market was a continuous cycle of improvement to counter the situation in transports.

The third element was the mechanism used to interface the transport to the DAC.

This was, initially, a two-part approach as separate CDT/DAC links tended to follow either the S/PDIF or AES/EBU electrical interfaces and the Toslink or AT&T optical interfaces.

Also, early DAC designs were focused on CD only (i.e. 16-bit/44.1KHz) but, as new source media standards came along (DAT at 48KHz sample rate), DVD-A (typically at a 96KHz sample rate) then SACD which added the need for a DSD interface, to high-res computer digital audio files (at up to 24-bit/192KHz and higher), DAC manufacturers have expanded their DAC units to provide multiple switchable inputs covering each additional input type.

The S/PDIF interface (a component of the Red Book standard) called for the entire electrical digital signal to be transmitted via a single conductor or pair.

If we ignore optical links, this interface with the need to carry the digital audio signal (at 16-bit resolution and a 44.1KHz sample rate), PLUS timing data, CIRC data, and other bits and pieces wound up with a total sample size (and required feed-rate) that approached the then limits of data transmission speeds.

As a result, many integrated players ignored the Red Book guidelines for INTERNAL links between their transport and DAC sections and implemented a 4-conductor interface (I2S) in an attempt to avoid having to operate at too close the transmission speed limits per conductor. (Audio Alchemy was one of the pioneers in using I2S in separate CDT/DAC configurations via the use of proprietary interface cables).

This approach also made the implementation of over-sampling by providing the necessary bandwidth to cater for the increased data rate implicit in such designs.

Other manufacturers have, in recent years, introduced variations on the I2S interface between CDT and DAC - one notable example is PS Audio in their PerfectWave and DirectStream ranges.

Against this background, the importance of the transport in the chain would appear to be diminishing as the DACs and interfaces improve.

The question of whether or not all transports sound the same remains...

Here one needs to consider the permutations of combinations...

a) where both components are bought new and from today's offerings, given the current technology, different transports are less likely to have a significant impact on SQ (assumption)

b) where DAC is current and CDT is not current, switching transports is also less likely to have a significant impact on SQ (another assumption)

c) Where DAC is not current (assume from early designs prior to DAC enhancements to counter failings in transport) then logic would imply that using a higher quality transport from the same vintage as the DAC would offer a better SQ than using a modern non-high-end transport (deduction).

After 42 years in IT, I'm still a believer in the principle of GIGO (Garbage In = Garbage Out), and I've yet to see any evidence that proves beyond all doubt that modern DACs do not benefit from improved quality of digital input signals.

Dave

FWIW my instinct is always to connect CD transports with coax and computers optically (i.e. isolate naff computer switch-mode PSUs etc from the hi-fi).
Putting aside the uncomplimentary things you wrote about the SBT, I prefer TOSLINK to coax with SBT into DAC1. I don't know the reason why (though I've done it blind-ish [the best I could alone]).
Darren

Putting aside the uncomplimentary things you wrote about the SBT, I prefer TOSLINK to coax with SBT into DAC1. I don't know the reason why (though I've done it blind-ish [the best I could alone]).

That fits with my thinking too, e.g. connect nice solid properly grounded stuff like audiophile transports via coax, wallwart computer stuff (such as the SBT) optically. I would certainly have had my SBT optically connected as at the time I only had one digital coax cable, and that would have been connecting the Apollo R to my then Rega DAC.

I just didn't get on with the SBT so may have been unfair to it and not given it a proper chance. I hated the interface and user experience (I'm used to Apple, e.g an Airport Express and an iPhone or iPad as a remote). Just a product I had no use for and only bought because it was on a half-price offer or similar. I got my cash back easy enough by selling it on!

Never understood the fascination with the SBT, I thought it sounded awful and was a bad design with flaky performance.

Have to say though I'm really impressed with the way the Roon streaming sounds, it's going from a Mac mini through a USB to spdif converter into an Audio Note DAC.

Hi what model dac and spdif converter do you use cheers phil.

This is the third time I've posted this email response from Pioneer about the difference between their $3,000 Esoteric transport and the $40 TEAC 5020A (which I use) - these are approx. OEM prices.

I asked:

I have owned several TEAC and TASCAM products.

I currently use a TASCAM CD200 that uses the CD-5020A drive unit. I feed the digital output into a high quality external DAC.

Is there any reason why the digital data stream from a VDRS transport (as used in Esoteric) should be any better than from the CD-5020A transport? Surely both provide perfectly accurate digital data streams?
Kind regards

They replied:

Hello Mr [], difference will be the durability of the mechanism and a reduction of jitter, which in turn helps your DAC achieve a greater audio conversion accuracy. To a certain level jitter is not an issue when extracting data (computer files and the like), but when a real time DA conversion is done to the data stream, jitter becomes very important and can create minute timing issues in the DA conversion. Whether it would be actually audible is another thing altogether. Audio is a very subjective.
Regards

Please note that it is not possible to reply to this message. Should you wish to reply, then please contact us at: https://contactcenter.pioneer.eu/contactus.nsf/contact?openform&sub=pgb&lang=en
ensuring that you fill in the reference number, which will allow us to
respond more efficiently. Kind regards
Pioneer Europe NV (UK Branch)
Customer Relations Department

What else do you need to know?

That you're not going to post it again.

Every time someone says a transport (i.e. digital stream) is different if it comes from a cheap spinner, expensive spinner, over ethernet, wifi or whatever, it should be posted.

Anyone who doesn't believe this should also stop doing internet banking, because jitter may put them overdrawn.

Next time I'll just post a link.

Every time someone says a transport (i.e. digital stream) is different if it comes from a cheap spinner, expensive spinner, over ethernet, wifi or whatever, it should be posted.

Anyone who doesn't believe this should also stop doing internet banking, because jitter may put them overdrawn.

Next time I'll just post a link.

Or learn how digital audio is transferred.

Complete straw man analogy, fortunately http goes over tcp so jitter isn't relevant.

Don't worry I will go in the space for the last post on this page.

No transports do not sound the same, especially since steam locos. Diesel and Electric trains are totally different and don't get me going on planes please. The only one where the sound has not altered dramatically is on bulk carriers for shipping.

Bloss

ps My post has been shunted.

How many people have actually A/B compared whether there is any audible difference taking the digital output from a transport into the same DAC/front end? Blind tested?

I don't doubt the DAC makes a difference - I've heard the Vivaldi full system and it was the most transparent audio I've ever heard.

Last year I tried a Rega Dac and Chord Hugo on the end of my Sonos running Qobuz and couldn't tell any difference to the Internal dac. Today I bought a Chord mojo and plugged it into my regular pc running Roon/Tidal. It's just a world better than anything I've ever heard before. Absolutely Stunning. Go figure.

Last year I tried a Rega Dac and Chord Hugo on the end of my Sonos running Qobuz and couldn't tell any difference to the Internal dac. Today I bought a Chord mojo and plugged it into my regular pc running Roon/Tidal. It's just a world better than anything I've ever heard before. Absolutely Stunning. Go figure.

Two completely different systems, neither of which has a transport. So what's the point?

You do make one valid point. For anyone clinging on to CDs, rip them all and get Roon, it's brilliant, and Qobuz tell me they are working on integrating it next year. I presume that's why you switched to Tidal.

My point was that the Hugo and Rega dac had no impact in the front of a Sonos but a Mojo (considered mildly inferior to Hugo) had a big impact in the front of my PC. Therefore one could conclude a PC is rather better transport than the Sonos. Either that or the usb is just seriously better than spdif.

What do mean neither has a transport?

My point was that the Hugo and Rega dac had no impact in the front of a Sonos but a Mojo (considered mildly inferior to Hugo) had a big impact in the front of my PC. Therefore one could conclude a PC is rather better transport than the Sonos. Either that or the usb is just seriously better than spdif.

What do mean neither has a transport?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_(recording)
https://www.rutronik24.co.uk/pgm/teac/optical-drives/disdd/

The spinning thing that you get data bits off.

They cost as little as €20, but the 5020A unit in my TASCAM CD200 CD player costs €75 and the entire CD player cost £190. Designed for pro use, of course.

ive had very serious difference when trying different transport.

whenI had the buffalo dac, I must have tried about 20 different dvd to find the best transport

with my ec designs dac, going from the musiland 01usd to the breeze du u8, is like going from harsh to smooth. the difference is like getting a new dac.

so ime, transport really affect SQ

CD PLAYER Use REED SOLOMON ENCODING and decoding
Why should they sound different.

DAC try to produce the analog waveform as best as they could.
16bit. 24bit. High sampling makes no different too

advertisement

Back