advertisement

Track Car Suggestions

A friend of mine did put a turbo in a 1990 Volvo 740 station wagon with an in line 4 cylinder engine, I think it’s a 2 liter.
Seriously, at first I laughed at him with his square edges family car knowing he’s too old to have some kids.....
But when he showed me a video of him driving his long square car on a zig zag track, I was shocked !
The road handling is awesome even when he takes a curve on two wheels only.
He had the car for peanuts and he found some used racing parts so at the end, it was very affordable.
He used to be a chief crew of formula Ford in the past so he for sure knows how to get the best out of it.

There's a mental boxy Volvo that turns up at our local track but can't find a photo.

RX8 is a great suggestion. 20 mpg is bad news, on the road but on track you won't care because normal cars are down to teens and on a track who cares?
My daily (MK4 Golf GTI 1.8 20VT, running about 240BHP) just scrapes 25 mpg driving sensibly... if you start driving enthusiastically, you can kiss goodbye to that... the fuel consumption of an RX8 wouldn’t make me wince too much... and thanks for the acknowledgment, I suggested it having taken my cousin’s round a track, they’re a hoot, I’d buy one myself if I were after a track toy. We were thinking of taking it, and a Jag 1998 XJR (also my cousin’s) to the Nurburgring this year... that’s gone out the window now but hopefully next year, we’ll do it.

If I had done everything I'd wanted with the Cayman I'd probably sell it and get an Exige like yours @-alan- and kill two birds with one stone.

The latest 20th Anniversary Exige 410 look amazing but mega bucks.

1qjY9i3.jpg
That’s lovely, I doubt I’d get in one though... and I wouldn’t track my daily. I’ve thought about tracking my Golf, but even though it doesn’t owe me much, I’d be heartbroken if I broke it... one of the cheapest car’s I’ve owned, but I absolutely adore it.

esvh4an.jpg
gUZvKOi.jpg

Some bargains to be had. £100 for an MR2?

I had one for twelve years, only tradet it because a bad back. Very good handling on the track, at let's say 98%, you steered where you wanted to go and didn't need to bother with correcting through the corner. Over that and it would break the rear first, only car ever that I spun on the track. Also very good on gravel road when pretending to be a rally driver. Structurally it's very weak, will need a proper roll cage, not just a roll bar.

That’s lovely, I doubt I’d get in one though... and I wouldn’t track my daily. I’ve thought about tracking my Golf, but even though it doesn’t owe me much, I’d be heartbroken if I broke it... one of the cheapest car’s I’ve owned, but I absolutely adore it.

esvh4an.jpg
gUZvKOi.jpg

I always liked that shape. Some classic lines and an era when designers learnt to put the bloody pencil down and not add unecessary crap!

Some bargains to be had. £100 for an MR2?

I like the Car Throttle lads.
I did raise the MR2 with my car buddy early days but he can't get over that front end look (me too for that matter).
However, I have seen some good ones track prepped with a great stance!

I'm amazed tracks aren't full of them. Same (similar) 2ZZ engine to the Exige of that era aren't they?

514011.jpg

I like the Car Throttle lads.
I did raise the MR2 with my car buddy early days but he can't get over that front end look (me too for that matter).
However, I have seen some good ones track prepped with a great stance!

I'm amazed tracks aren't full of them. Same (similar) 2ZZ engine to the Exige of that era aren't they?
There's not much not to like there. They do have a reputation for having fragile engines and an MX5 is generally regarded as being easier to live with and generally tougher.

I always thought they looked a bit 986 Boxsterish - certainly have to do a double take if there's one in my rear view mirror.

I always thought they looked a bit 986 Boxsterish - certainly have to do a double take if there's one in my rear view mirror.

I think the 986 Boxster is starting to age well and they are coming into their own design wise. I've noticed an slight uptick in prices of good lower mile examples too and people actually want the earlier ones with the orange headlight indicators now! (higher milers are still silly cheap). The softer design lines that made them look date compared to new stuff say 5 years ago (the wee side vent) is starting to become retro or something ---- they have FUTURE CLASSIC written all over them haha

classic_and_sports_car_buyers_guide_porsche_boxster_986_main.png

There's not much not to like there. They do have a reputation for having fragile engines and an MX5 is generally regarded as being easier to live with and generally tougher.

Being mid-engined is a bit of a two-edged sword. A bugger to work with but the engine is in the right place for track-work.

I think the 986 Boxster is starting to age well and they are coming into their own design wise. I've noticed an slight uptick in prices of good lower mile examples too and people actually want the earlier ones with the orange headlight indicators now! (higher milers are still silly cheap) ---- they have FUTURE CLASSIC written all over them.

classic_and_sports_car_buyers_guide_porsche_boxster_986_main.png

Never liked them, personally. Not since I took one for a test drive and had to stop after 5 minutes as it was crippling me.

Never liked them, personally. Not since I took one for a test drive and had to stop after 5 minutes as it was crippling me.

Yeah, I've never driven one and the 987 Boxster is the clear bargain to me ATM. I did drive an air cooled and the bloody pedal offset was a shock...but people don't care about minor details like that once they become collectable as they don't bloody drive them.

advertisement

Back