advertisement

Tory leadership failure Part V: Rishi ‘Infosys’ Sunak

I have no problem voting Labour if it helps get rid of the Tories. There's plenty I can find to disagree with currently, but it's utterly dwarfed by my antipathy to the Tories. More, I would be happy to vote for my current MP, Tulip Siddiq, or almost certain future MP Dawn Butler. Whether I will is another matter as I might conclude that Dawn Butler's victory to be so certain that I'll vote Green. But I will only do so if I consider the candidate to be of sufficient quality.

I think so, yes. Politics is based on converting ideology and theory into practical policy. A progressive left of centre perspective should, in fact needs, to be fundamentally anti-fascist. There will always be a huge range of views in the electorate and it is IMHO always wise to tell fascists to FRO. They have no place in any civilised society. Labour has been an absolute bin-fire since Brexit, arguably since far before that. Maybe forever. Any credible progressive left party should be able to win the battle of ideas without pandering to racists, bigots or fascists in any way. Labour have never seemed able to do this. This is why I will not vote for them.

A number of European democracies are currently birthing various shades of fascist, which makes FRO tricky (at least at the government level). This article in today's FT gives a good account of modern-day fascism and how it has taken hold (social media helps).

https://www.ft.com/content/c18f4306-3c37-4a10-b728-74646e0ea525

As for Labour and the UK, it and we have never succumbed to fascism. I can't see that changing should Starmer become PM. He may even surprise to the upside and move left/progressive on some policies.

As for Labour and the UK, it and we have never succumbed to fascism. I can't see that changing should Starmer become PM. He may even surprise to the upside and move left/progressive on some policies.

I’m sure Starmer’s Labour will push us back a little from the brink this unhinged far-right Tory party has led us to, but I can’t see him doing any real good. He has no answers, no ideology and no integrity. He is not the leader we need right now. Just a dull grey seat-warmer until the next-wave of oligarch-funded Tories arrive.

A number of European democracies are currently birthing various shades of fascist, which makes FRO tricky (at least at the government level). This article in today's FT gives a good account of modern-day fascism and how it has taken hold (social media helps).

https://www.ft.com/content/c18f4306-3c37-4a10-b728-74646e0ea525

He will. But the overall direction of travel will still be towards the right, a continuation of the same direction of travel we have had for 50 years.

If we keep moving right the question is when we become fully facist, not if.

I’m sure Starmer’s Labour will push us back a little from the brink this unhinged far-right Tory party has led us to, but I can’t see him doing any real good. He has no answers, no ideology and no integrity. He is not the leader we need right now. Just a dull grey seat-warmer until the next-wave of oligarch-funded Tories arrive.

Well, that's one narrative, popular on the left, but let's see what happens.

Corbyn would seem to fit the profile of the leader you want but I think you weren't a fan of his either. Is there anyone out there that you think could lead Britain to a better place?

Corbyn would seem to fit the profile of the leader you want but I think you weren't a fan of his either. Is there anyone out there that you think could lead Britain to a better place?

No, as I don’t believe in monopoly rule. Electoral reform and installing a functioning accountable democracy is and has always been my red-line. No PR manifesto pledge = no vote from me. What I would do with my vote in a democracy remains to be seen, but until that point I’ll just vote to create one.

No, as I don’t believe in monopoly rule. Electoral reform and installing a functioning accountable democracy is and has always been my red-line. No PR manifesto pledge = no vote from me. What I would do with my vote in a democracy remains to be seen, but until that point I’ll just vote to create one.

What about local elections? Do you abstain or participate?

What about local elections? Do you abstain or participate?

I vote, but again only for parties that believe in electoral reform. I realise local elections are disconnected from the national picture, but I will only vote for parties that believe in real democracy regardless.

Clearly the Conservatives are in full panic mode:

lcimg-be7ff361-5cec-4e7d-86cd-9eeab240b007.png

Interesting that when the chips are down, the paper doesn't back Reform (its political soulmate) but goes for the one more likely to win seats.,

Easter is woke. The celebration of some middle-eastern hippie/commie do-gooder who should have been sent to Rwanda.

Quite the quandary there for your average DM reader, getting all red faced about people allegedly having to apologise for wishing someone a happy easter whilst simultaneously equating Jeebus with wokery and getting all out of sorts about that.

A shit-bag working for a shit rag. Ironically, a shit rag that's not even fit to wipe my backside with.

John

An unpopular billionaire trying to control a party of swivel-eyes loons and cranks.

Their answer is Priti Patel. :confused:

It is democracy, of course, so if we get Prime Minister Patel then that is because it is the will of the British people or something.

Steven Swinford@Steven_Swinford

"Times weekend read:
* Some senior allies of Rishi Sunak think a confidence vote is inevitable in wake of May local elections
* Assumption is he will win - the ‘default’ plan is to fight on until Autumn, although some allies think he should call an election
* Plotters say it will be impossible for him to continue if 70+ MPs are publicly against him, even with proximity to election
* Senior figures in One Nation group are talking up Priti Patel as Sunak’s successor, despite political differences. They think she has experience to unite party & win Boris backing
* Increasing concern about whether govt is functioning properly"

I am starting to hear suggestions that Sunak is considering a Summer election. This would be consistent with the above, that a mullering is expected in the local elections and there will be pressure on Sunak to quit. If he did, the Tories would be faced with calling a GE in the aftermath of a (probably damaging) leadership challenge and election. Better to call a GE before all that dirty linen gets aired in public.

advertisement

Back