advertisement

Tory leadership failure Part V: Rishi ‘Infosys’ Sunak

Some people are saying the Tories now fear the scenario we were discussing above where Reform moves ahead of the Tories in one/some of the polls after disastrous Council elections in May. In which case an early election (i.e, June) may be still be called to limit the damage.

Some rather interesting stats here. Scary polling for the Tories. That said (and I’m only half way through) is they are only dealing with poll data etc. The real story of the political right is always donor money and state assets and power being for sale. Corruption will win the day. It always does.

I wonder if the fate of the Tory party will follow that of the Liberal party after Lloyd George’s notoriously corrupt government. I do hope so.

It was ever thus. The Tories asset strip and finally get to a place where they can get away with it it no longer.
And now they will be relieved to lose the next election.
Then what? Well the tory light version of the ‘Labour‘ Party will take over and try to patch it up with no money, from day one they will be attacked by the Tory media while the main party regroup, take a break, have dinner parties and fix the house up. Rinse and repeat. I hate it.

Some rather interesting stats here. Scary polling for the Tories. That said (and I’m only half way through) is they are only dealing with poll data etc. The real story of the political right is always donor money and state assets and power being for sale. Corruption will win the day. It always does.
Murdoch, Dacre, Ashcroft ,the Barclays et al will go into overdrive. You can bet they are sitting on a cache of smears and blackmail material, saved for the height of battle. Angela Rayner’s capital gains story will be be piffling by comparison

It was ever thus. The Tories asset strip and finally get to a place where they can get away with it it no longer.
And now they will be relieved to lose the next election.
Then what? Well the tory light version of the ‘Labour‘ Party will take over and try to patch it up with no money, from day one they will be attacked by the Tory media while the main party regroup, take a break, have dinner parties and fix the house up. Rinse and repeat. I hate it.
Labour will not try to patch up anything. They will not attempt to repair the damage done by decades of privatisation, deregulation and spending cuts, they will take it to the next level

I wonder if the fate of the Tory party will follow that of the Liberal party after Lloyd George’s notoriously corrupt government. I do hope so.
They may certainly be on course to. The danger however lies in what fills the vacuum left on the centre right. Although Starmer will continue to hurtle headlong rightwards to pick up homeless Tory votes, the ghouls of Reform would have the stage to themselves, bringing what thirty years ago was confined to the BNP firmly to the mainstream. Paradoxically, any implosion of the Tories makes it more important than ever a genuine left alternative makes itself available.

Brilliant piece from Peter Oborne. A sharper or more accurate analysis of the current sorry state of British politics would be very hard to find. This is unquestionably worth ten minutes of your time. It explains how far-right extremists such as Gove have covertly been working against our interests for a very long time and just how much damage they have done to the core structures of UK government.

Brilliant piece from Peter Oborne. A sharper or more accurate analysis of the current sorry state of British politics would be very hard to find. This is unquestionably worth ten minutes of your time. It explains how far-right extremists such as Gove have covertly been working against our interests for a very long time and just how much damage they have done to the core structures of UK government.
"It's a bit like playing football with a bent ref. Nobody's going to blow the whistle!"

They may certainly be on course to. The danger however lies in what fills the vacuum left on the centre right. Although Starmer will continue to hurtle headlong rightwards to pick up homeless Tory votes, the ghouls of Reform would have the stage to themselves, bringing what thirty years ago was confined to the BNP firmly to the mainstream. Paradoxically, any implosion of the Tories makes it more important than ever a genuine left alternative makes itself available.
The way I read it, Labour is positioning itself to fill that void. It will tell itself that this is in the national interest because it is resetting the clock back to the Thatcher era, which is significantly to the left of the May/Johnson axis. It probably isn't admitting to itself that it is embracing Thatcherite policies, and it certainly won't say it out loud in so many words, lest Labour voters who still hate Thatcher take fright, but I reckon it sees a once in a lifetime opportunity to supplant the Tories as the default party and it's not about to pass that up.

The way I read it, Labour is positioning itself to fill that void. It will tell itself that this is in the national interest because it is resetting the clock back to the Thatcher era, which is significantly to the left of the May/Johnson axis. It probably isn't admitting to itself that it is embracing Thatcherite policies, and it certainly won't say it out loud in so many words, lest Labour voters who still hate Thatcher take fright, but I reckon it sees a once in a lifetime opportunity to supplant the Tories as the default party and it's not about to pass that up.
Yes you’re right. I have no doubt that is part of their strategy. But that won’t speak to the Lee Anderson/ Suella Braverman subset who would never vote Labour. They will look for another party that represents their interests, and that is currently Reform. The Lee Andersons will be overjoyed as they see policies, attitudes and even language that was hitherto restricted to the far right margins now dragged centre stage into British electoral politics.

The mistake Labour has made for all of my voting life is not to very firmly tell the NF Lee Anderson types to **** right off. There is no capitulation or negotiation with fascists. Just walk away, they are shit, the absolute worst of humanity. There are far more votes elsewhere. Their trying to capitulate with racists, bigots and fascists is the reason I have never been able to vote Labour.

The mistake Labour has made for all of my voting life is not to very firmly tell the NF Lee Anderson types to **** right off. There is no capitulation or negotiation with fascists. Just walk away, they are shit, the absolute worst of humanity. There are far more votes elsewhere. Their trying to capitulate with racists, bigots and fascists is the reason I have never been able to vote Labour.
The old ‘broad church’ cliche. Labour has always accomodated racists, sexists and homophobes. In that, they were no different from every other party. These attitudes have always existed at a societal level and it’s no surprise to see them represented in a mass party like Labour. I remember as a kid some of the most militant shop stewards in the shipyards were also members of the Orange Lodge.

The main difference with Labour is that these ideas have always existed in tension with solidarity across race, gender and sexual orientation (eg. miner’s wives support groups, a delegation of the NUM heading Pride as a result of gay solidarity during the Miners Strike), whereas in the Tory party they were (are) regarded as natural and tolerable.

Starmer’s attitude is one of complete condescension that sees working class voters as intrinsically and irredeemably racist and sexist, and panders to it rather than challenging it.

The old ‘broad church’ cliche. Labour has always accomodated racists, sexists and homophobes. In that, they were no different from every other party. These attitudes have always existed at a societal level and it’s no surprise to see them represented in a mass party like Labour. I remember as a kid some of the most militant shop stewards in the shipyards were also members of the Orange Lodge.

The main difference with Labour is that these ideas have always existed in tension with solidarity across race, gender and sexual orientation (eg. miner’s wives support groups, a delegation of the NUM heading Pride as a result of gay solidarity during the Miners Strike), whereas in the Tory party they were (are) regarded as natural and tolerable.

Starmer’s attitude is one of complete condescension that sees working class voters as intrinsically and irredeemably racist and sexist, and panders to it rather than challenging it.

Orange Lodge - sounds like it should be the name of Trump's gaff...

Does the FRO approach work though? And how would it be implemented politically? And where and when does it stop?

Does the FRO approach work though? And how would it be implemented politically? And where and when does it stop?

I think so, yes. Politics is based on converting ideology and theory into practical policy. A progressive left of centre perspective should, in fact needs, to be fundamentally anti-fascist. There will always be a huge range of views in the electorate and it is IMHO always wise to tell fascists to FRO. They have no place in any civilised society. Labour has been an absolute bin-fire since Brexit, arguably since far before that. Maybe forever. Any credible progressive left party should be able to win the battle of ideas without pandering to racists, bigots or fascists in any way. Labour have never seemed able to do this. This is why I will not vote for them.

advertisement

Back