advertisement

Tory corruption & sleaze (lobbying, second jobs, dodgy contracts etc)

Blaming Starmer for the antics of this Government and its MPs is an interesting argument. Sorry, no I didn't mean interesting, asinine.
Yes and there’s a subtle but deliberate change in tone going on in the Tory press - they’re trying to spread the criticism to MPs in general over expenses, second jobs etc
It’s not as blatant as the planted ‘Labour and SNP MPs got drunk on flight to Gibraltar’ smear run by a Tory Minister in concert with the Telegraph because they are absolutely desperate to shift the spotlight from themselves.

cM3DWsU.jpg

Last edited:
Drifting away from blaming Starmer ( and Labour ) for tory sleaze on a thread about tory sleaze, how about blaming LibDem sleaze, especially from such a shining star?

Lib Dem MP Layla Moran 'regrets' paid work from office

Liberal Democrat MP Layla Moran has apologised for using her Commons office for a paid non-parliamentary meeting.

Source: BBC

Like the rest, what she probably regrets is getting caught. It’s only a few grand though...

Poodles. Tories in disguise.

Indeed. Standing up for political prisoner human rights in Saudi is of course an absolute disgrace when both Conservative and Labour sell that oppressive dictatorship £bns of weapons. What on earth was she thinking?

Indeed. Standing up for political prisoner human rights in Saudi is of course an absolute disgrace when both Conservative and Labour sell that oppressive dictatorship £bns of weapons. What on earth was she thinking?
I dunno. Ask her. She’s apologised for whatever she was thinking.

Giving her some kind of moral credit over Labour, which is what your reply above looks like is fine if she did it for nothing, but she was paid £3000. It’s against the rules.

That’s an incredible take Brian!
Not at all. If paid, non-parliamentary work is not allowed, then it is not allowed. You can’t pick and choose, ignoring the rules when you sympathise with the reason.

From the same article..
Under House of Commons rules, MPs must not use the parliamentary facilities for non-parliamentary work.

If you want to see people charged and punished ( as I do ) for breaking these rules you have to apply the rules consistently.

Last edited:
All for MPs working the odd day as e.g. teaching assistants, care workers, warehouse workers. Not sure there’d be many takers though.
indeed. Who would want the manifestly useless parachuted in to endure for the duration?

No decision made about Covid book deal.
Hancock approached to write book about how he saved the UK from Covid and kept deaths down to
Publisher denies report despite Hancock having told The Daily Mail that he had "been approached to write a book".

No decision made about Covid book deal.
Hancock approached to write book about how he saved the UK from Covid and kept deaths down to
Publisher denies report despite Hancock having told The Daily Mail that he had "been approached to write a book".
Was it a publisher of children’s books, perhaps?

"One entry recalls how Johnson told her: “How can I be the thrust – the throttle – your mere footstep as you make your career? Tell me: how I can help you?”

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...n-pledged-help-for-my-business-to-win-my-love
Jennifer Arcuri , Johnson pledged business help.

“I can barely control myself whenever I see you. You make me too excited. Baby I couldn’t wait. All year I have been waiting for you. All year. You drove me nuts. I have thought about no woman as I have thought of you.”

Did she later complain there was too much daddy and not enough sugar?

Two MPs have admitted using their Commons offices for non-parliamentary paid meetings. Liberal Democrat Layla Moran and Conservative Crispin Blunt appeared via video link on a panel discussing political prisoners in Saudi Arabia. The event last November was organised by law firm Bindmans LLP. According to the register of financial interests for MPs, Ms Moran was paid £3,000 by the firm and Mr Blunt received £6,000.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59275207

I guess I'm a bit naive but the thing that really surprised me was people charging up to £6k to join a Zoom call.

It's worth also noting that this was all about the detention of two Saudi royals. Dressing it up as being about political prisoners seems a little disingenuous.

The Fact Finding Panel (“FFP”) is an independent Panel of British Parliamentarians and international lawyers who have been mandated to review the detention conditions of the Former Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia Mohammed Bin Nayef (“MBN”) and Prince Ahmed Bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud (“Prince Ahmed”) collectively “the Detainees”, in the context of political prisoners in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (“KSA”).

https://www.bindmans.com/uploads/files/documents/Report-for_publication_on_17_December_2020.pdf

Two MPs have admitted using their Commons offices for non-parliamentary paid meetings. Liberal Democrat Layla Moran and Conservative Crispin Blunt appeared via video link on a panel discussing political prisoners in Saudi Arabia. The event last November was organised by law firm Bindmans LLP. According to the register of financial interests for MPs, Ms Moran was paid £3,000 by the firm and Mr Blunt received £6,000.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59275207

I guess I'm a bit naive but the thing that really surprised me was people charging up to £6k to join a Zoom call.

It's worth also noting that this was all about the detention of two Saudi royals. Dressing it up as being about political prisoners seems a little disingenuous.

The Fact Finding Panel (“FFP”) is an independent Panel of British Parliamentarians and international lawyers who have been mandated to review the detention conditions of the Former Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia Mohammed Bin Nayef (“MBN”) and Prince Ahmed Bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud (“Prince Ahmed”) collectively “the Detainees”, in the context of political prisoners in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (“KSA”).

https://www.bindmans.com/uploads/files/documents/Report-for_publication_on_17_December_2020.pdf
Yuck. Apologies to @Brian I got the wrong end of the stick there.

Grant Shapps-Green-Fox-random-sockpuppet has been caught being dodgy again too, which is so unsurprising I’m amazed it even makes news. It appears he set up a lobbying company to lobby against his own government or something. It was on the TV news earlier. There’s another Tory scooping hundreds of £k too, but we’ve now been sufficiently gaslit by corrupt elites we don’t notice anymore.

PS If Layla Moran took money from the Saudi dictatorship she’s just as bad as the Conservative and Labour parties, which I have to admit surprises and disappoints me. I thought she was better than that.

advertisement

Back