advertisement

Topping D70 - anyone know why no distribution in Europe?

I think so yes, but I feel the question is more, does it sound good for the money? it definitely isn't bad for £60 that's for sure.

This D70 does interest me though as it uses one of my favourite DAC chips.

Measurements don't portray the full picture of how something sounds, we can't measure everything we can hear or how we interpret, so while they have their place they are essentially irrelevant after a certain point and when it comes to the actual 'sound'.

In what way does it sound naff?

A did deliver on original schedule. After a few hours of listening:

Robust, dynamic sound with lots of midrange energy and strong bass drive.

Deep/wide soundstage and very good image focus.

Engaging and somewhat upfront sound.

Upper frequencies perhaps lack delicacy, at least early on in the breaking-in process.

At least with Filter 2 (slow), the only thing that's "velvet" is the finish on the casework.

Mechanically solid package. Remote and display all work well, but clearly visual display esthetic was not a priority.

Has all the right safety etchings and I can confirm that the case is grounded.

Seems to be a VERY competitive unit at the price.

Last edited:
Engaging and somewhat upfront sound.

Upper frequencies perhaps lack delicacy, at least early on in the breaking-in process.

At least with Filter 2 (slow), the only thing that's "velvet" is the finish on the casework.

Do you think it is that you and "velvet sound" are not soul mates or is it the filter choice?

Interesting opinion, essentially proudly embracing cultural ignorance - if one doesn't participate in something, one shouldn't be aware of it.

I guess you are unaware of Hanukkah, Ramadan or Diwali, either. "Means nothin' here"
I'm really not up to date with these modern bands.

Oh I took your earlier comments to mean you found it overly up front, and lacking in delicacy on the slow filter, I wondered if you tried the other filters and found them more to your taste?
No, I haven't had the chance yet. Generally I liked the slow filter with another 4497 dac i had before - SMSL M10, but this one may be different.

After I configured the unit as a DAC only and it had a chance to cook, any high frequency stridency went away. Still on the slow filter...very little to criticize.

Really excellent DAC. Certainly great at sub $500 price point.

I'm just curious why after identifying the Toppings as uncertified dangerous junk anyone would buy 'multiple' units...
Then again with his claimed 2 million positive eBay feedbacks Chronicals knows what he's talking about.....
Enjoy your purchase Dimitry.

I'm just curious why after identifying the Toppings as uncertified dangerous junk anyone would buy 'multiple' units...
Then again with his claimed 2 million positive eBay feedbacks Chronicals knows what he's talking about.....
Enjoy your purchase Dimitry.

It's over 2 million now. It's been a while since you last appeared Plastic Scouse, the world moves fast these days.

In answer to your question - it was to ensure I had enough valid information to support my opinion, can't just go on hearing one unit. Not sure where the phrase 'dangerous' appeared though?

Also, if anyones curious, I emailed the company that apparently gave the CE certification of Topping Dacs, from the certification on their website. I think I managed to get the cert number correct, but the low resolution images of the certs made it quite difficult, had to use some optimisation to clear it up. I did'n't receive a response to any email from this company. I gave them a call and they went from speaking wonderful English to not being to understand me, so it proved fruitless. Take from that what you will.

It's no biggie to me, I don't believe any of my LPS's are genuine CE marked, but its probably why there isn't a distributer in the UK, the whole point of the thread :)

Glad you are happy with your purchase for the price point.

@Chronic..... didn't say dangerous....but..
"They don't have CE/TUV approval and most don't even have the chassis earthed correctly, cheap Chi-Fi junk. To comply with European legislation would cost them ££."
"I expect we will see things like these DACS feature if the market ever got big enough or there was say a house fire and someone died, and it originated from the DAC or power supply for it".
....quacks like a duck...

Last edited:
@Chronic..... didn't say dangerous....
"They don't have CE/TUV approval and most don't even have the chassis earthed correctly, cheap Chi-Fi junk. To comply with European legislation would cost them ££."
"I expect we will see things like these DACS feature if the market ever got big enough or there was say a house fire and someone died, and it originated from the DAC or power supply for it".

Nope, can't see the word there. Could you highlight it in BOLD please. Mucho gracias. What I do see is you being angry at the world as usual.

What was said, that MOST don't meet required standards for earthing (none of the ones I sampled did, which was the majority of their catalogue), thus being cheap Chi-Fi junk . This would be deemed as dangerous to many, hence why we have a thorough CE/TUV certification process. Sadly, even the CE labs in China can be 'fake' as well, as can the components fitted to some of these devices. There are plenty of Chinese Hifi brands that do it properly like Lumin, Aurelic etc, hence why, in part, they have higher costs and worldwide distribution.

Some good fake electronics baring the fake CE marks today on Fake Britain today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000bytb/fake-britain-series-9-06122019

Always worth knowing the way the consumer world is now, not how it was in the 70's. It's also worth remembering that mainstream companies have to factor in the costs of meeting all the requirements set for electrical safety in the EU, and thus those companies undercutting them isn't only about them reducing profit, it's also partly reducing standards. If that angers you, well...

I do also believe that insurance companies arent obliged to pay out if say a fire was caused by a non CE-approved appliance. Hells they would have to do some proper investigation to prove it, but I am sure they would if the pay out was looking to be rather larger.This isn't my area of expertise so I am merely paraphrasing what what I have been told by my home contents insurance company (AXA).

I can attest that the device in question is properly earthed.

I think a phrase "chi fi junk" smells chauvinistic and is and is meant to be insulting.

Fear mongering of a fire and lack of insurance payments seems way over the top...looks more and more like a ham fisted way to kill a product.

Does the poster have a financial interest they would like to disclose?

Given that most of their dacs arent mains powered I wouldn't expect them to be 'earthed', the chassis would be tied to the 0v on the usb input, which isn't the same thing, but quite standard and ce compliant.

Unless they're class 2 all their mains powered units must be earthed, which they appear to be.

The d70 certainly appears appears earthed and to have the ce standard low power standby facilitated by a relay next to the input traffo.

I can attest that the device in question is properly earthed.

I think a phrase "chi fi junk" smells chauvinistic and is and is meant to be insulting.

Fear mongering of a fire and lack of insurance payments seems way over the top...looks more and more like a ham fisted way to kill a product.

Does the poster have a financial interest they would like to disclose?

Not fear mongering, general concerns in the UK at the moment.

https://www.bedsfire.gov.uk/Community-safety/Home-safety/Counterfeit-Electrical-Goods.aspx

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/the-home/electrical-items/

You're not in the UK are you?

AXA , a huge insurance company, tell me that if a product does not have a genuine CE certification then they can refuse to pay out if its found it was that component that caused say a fire. Not sure why this is 'scare mongering', its a fact from an insurance company? I take my own chances with my LPS knowing this.

No financial interest in cheap Chinese Dacs myself, I make mechanical components, not electrical. I have an expensive Chinese DAC which is very good, love a bit of Chi-Fi. Has a genuine CE certificate too! I just know the Chinese market very well and its ability to falsify pretty much anything and convince gullible folk of its excellence. Thankfully for you, in the US of A, I believe the electrical safety standards are far less than in Europe, hence why there is probably distribution in the States for Topping.

The d70 certainly appears appears earthed and to have the ce standard low power standby facilitated by a relay next to the input traffo.

Thats good to hear. As I've said myself, I have plenty of non CE/Fake Ce marked LPS's that are perfectly fine after being inspected by engineers. It's just the ones that arent that need to be on the look out for. Topping never use to earth their units, but look like they are making a more contributed effort now.

You pays your monies, you take your chances...

Sinophobic idiots indeed. Anyhow, what´s your verdict concerning the sonic merits of the D70?
I really like it. Detailed yet easy on the ears. Perhaps it doesn't reproduce ambience as well as much more pricey units. Can't imagine anyone being dissatisfied at this price point.

advertisement

Back