advertisement

Top rated Japanese turntable from 70’s ideas please

The Sony is lovely, but who the hell rebuilt that poor 3009 S2 Imp? Check out the direction of the bias rod! The yoke is on the wrong way round! Amazingly it is not the first time I’ve seen someone do this either! It would obviously turn ‘anti-skate’ into ‘more-skate’...

Good spotting, I hadn't noticed. It seems that changing arms on them is common as mine came without an arm.

On looks alone I've always loved the Pioneer PL-50 suggested by @Beobloke. Never heard one and I'd be interested to know how reliable they are (the PL70s even better but over £1k)

The 50 is pretty good but too many have thrust bearing issues. The 70ii as you say are better but stray a little close to the GT2000 in price terms - a battle the Yammy wins with some ease.

Here you go, it's not technics .... Sorta

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/d/beaverton-panasonic-sl-1000-technics-sp/7037016551.html

00s0s_j2m34zF4A6a_600x450.jpg

Surely the Technics SP10 in one of its various versions - there was a motor/arm/plinth combo package for sure.

I always liked the look of the Luxman PD series - don't know if they were any good, but they come up on ebay every now and then in the £200 region, so may not have been 'discovered' yet.

Yep the Luxman PD series look great but the few that sound really good command a reasonable price. As with a lot of Japanese TTs from this era lightweight/poorly designed plinths and isolation are big issues.

No mention of the Trio L-07D? You'd need a mortageg, always assuming you could find one but it was the thing to have back in the day.

As regards the Pioneer PL112, it's not in the same league as models discussed here. My Dad had one, it wasn't as good as a PL12 and when I A-B ed it against a Rega 2 it was nowhere near as good.

There is also the Sony PS-X9 I would have loved one of these
Might be a tall order to get one for under a grand though
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X9.html
BTW I paid £700 for my Pioneer PLC-590

A slightly tatty one went through eBay a year or two ago. I bet it is an absolutely stunning deck, right up there in EMT etc class, though I have to admit the amount of circuitry lurking beneath is rather worrying. I like my record decks pretty mechanical! I could be tempted by a real high-end ‘70s DD though. Always fancied the idea of the TTS-8000, L07D, big Micro Seiki etc. It’s an itch I have fancied scratching for a while, though I found the current SL1200G rather disappointing against my TD-124, which surprised me.

The dark rosewood on the Victor looks about right and would be a perfect match my dark rosewood Yams. Just sayin'.

No mention of the Trio L-07D? You'd need a mortageg, always assuming you could find one but it was the thing to have back in the day.

I still love my L-07D that I bought new in 1981 for £1100. Not really thought to be 'the thing back in the day' though as difficult to sell in the U.K. then due to the cult of the LP12, but to my ears it easily saw off the one I had back then. Not many of them produced in total by Trio/Kenwood especially of the MKII so that has pushed the price up. They are well north of £1K S/H now in good condition. The last one I know of sold recently in the U.K. for £2.4K and I thought that was a good price. There was one in Germany recently for £5K. I know of one for sale for in the region of £3K, that also has an additional arm included. I would make an offer, but unfortunately I am banned from buying a spare. :(

The good news though is Nick Gorham is able to service these turntables now as unfortunately Richard of Vantage Audio, who was a real expert with them, went out of business a couple of years ago.

advertisement

Back