advertisement

Top rated Japanese turntable from 70’s ideas please

Good to know. £1100 was a LOT of money for a record player in 1981, it was 2 Sondeks. Not surprised they sold very few, especially because that was the peak of the cult of the LP12 and the days when every hifi mag ran a full back cover LP12 advert every month in order to keep the good reviews coming in.

More like 3 Sondeks.
Mine was one of the first Valhalla Linns in 1982/3 and was less than £400.

Last edited:
More like 3 Sondeks.
Mine was one of the first Valhalla Linns in 1982/3 and was less than £400.
Is that with or without an arm? The L-07D comes with its own very high quality arm. I added a new SME V in the additional arm space about 9 years ago that cost very nearly twice what I paid for the turntable and to be honest there is very little improvement over the TT's own arm and that has the benefit of VTA on the fly.

I can't remember what I paid for a pre Valhalla LP12 with a Syrinx PU2 arm with mass ring in about 1979, but I am fairly sure it was much more than £400. I auditioned the L-07D against the first Oracle turntable that was making some inroad into Linn sales at the time. I heard it with the lovely Breuer 8 arm on it and If I remember correctly that combination was a bit more expensive than the L-07D.

Audio Scope have some gorgeous and rare examples, for example,
http://www.audioscope.net/onkyo-px100m-as-new-p-2993.html

Keith
Keith,
There is some lovely TT's on this site, but they are crazy expensive for most of what they have for sale. 33,900 euros for the admittedly wonderful Nakamichi TX1,000 that I think has one control chip in that is no longer obtainable. They are rare, but the last one I saw went for about £8K. That money can get you a Thorens Reference, not a DD, but I'd love one, or possibly even a Rockport Sirius III.

http://www.highendaudio.nl/en/apparatuur/thorens-reference-with-sme-3012r-ortofon-spu/

The JVC QL-A7 really floats my canoe, but I've not even heard one. It's definitely a case of lust over love. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=333421338198 Anyone had an earful?

The QL-A7 is certainly an eye-full - I really fancied one a few years ago. It has what seems a decent arm but the plinth is really resonant. Really needs a wall-mount.

Looking around - are some of the refurbished decks getting re veneered - or are these finishes original?
hExp3ti.jpg

J0emIcw.jpg

The PL-570 is covered in, what I can only describe as, a 'wood-effect' foil. This tends to lift along the edges in time and so, yes, a few have been re-plinthed. If this has been done or needs doing then adding some corner-bracing to the original would be beneficial.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Pioneer PL-71 of course. :)

pioneer_pl_71-1.jpg

This! Great pre-quartz lock deck that has real musical dexterity. The arm does suffer from broken bias belts but replacement kits are available on eBay. Otherwise, my Kenwood KD-990 is a great deck and a good one would come into the OP's budget.

No mention of the Trio L-07D? You'd need a mortageg, always assuming you could find one but it was the thing to have back in the day.

As regards the Pioneer PL112, it's not in the same league as models discussed here. My Dad had one, it wasn't as good as a PL12 and when I A-B ed it against a Rega 2 it was nowhere near as good.

Easy peasy - the TRIO LO7D - regarded by many as the best turntable ever made. I had one in 1979 - Bespoke Audio let me have it at cost as a thankyou for helping them launch - £1000

Is it? Did'nt they sell for tuppence in Comet back in the day?

I wouldn’t be at all surprised! I’m not saying they’re a giant-slayer. Just that if you pay the £70-£100 that a decent one is actually worth, you’ll find it’s a pretty respectable performer.

Great thread. I've been poking around this issue myself in recent weeks -- seems like the Sony PS-8750 would be a nice choice, if you can find one.

I've been trawling the net for something decent - a lot are reveneered or like you say 100V and need a step up. I'll put a WTD ad in the classifieds, not in any rush so will be patient until something spot on appears. Ideally something like the Pionerr PL 570, I like the layout - S shaped arm, Strobe on the left and control panel on the right. If something like a Yammy GT or Trio came up at a half sensible price I'd be tempted to bump the budget significantly. Once I get the TT/Arm/Cart (have a couple of AT's and a 10x5 spare to get me going) I'll sort the Amps/Receiver (Pioneer most likely) and then the Speakers (Yammy or Wharfdale E's - a neighbour had them when I was a kid) - but I will probably end up somewhere completely different.

Thanks for all the posts/info - if someone does see something or has a deck they want to shift please let me know.

Gus

The JVC QL-10 is a lovely bit of kit. The TT-101 drive is superb. But it's a hard one to find. You get a fair slice of the action for a lot less money (and music easier to find) with the QL-7 which uses the TT-71 drive unit. A JVC TT drive unit on its own gives you a lot of scope with regard to plinth and arm choice.

Otherwise, I have a real soft spot for Technics; they're pretty much bullet-proof, and if an SP10 is not quite on the radar then the gorgeous SL-150 Mk2 is hard to resist. We used to use these in our college radio station and they were seriously impressive. So much so that I spent years trying to track down the best example I could find, which ironically turned out to be living just down the road from me! Fit it with a Symtec tonearm and I'm back in the radio station...

Oh, and don't forget the Technics SL-1700 Mk2 and SL-1800 Mk2; these are superb DD decks - kind of like an SL-1200 Mk2 but with nicer looks and better sound. Even the tonearm seems to have been a cut or two above the SL1200 norm. Many were fitted with the lovely EPC205 MkIII cartridge, which is always a bonus. Top examples of either of these, or the Sl-150 shouldn't cost much more than £500.

Last edited:
I've been trawling the net for something decent - a lot are reveneered or like you say 100V and need a step up. I'll put a WTD ad in the classifieds, not in any rush so will be patient until something spot on appears. Ideally something like the Pionerr PL 570, I like the layout - S shaped arm, Strobe on the left and control panel on the right. If something like a Yammy GT or Trio came up at a half sensible price I'd be tempted to bump the budget significantly. Once I get the TT/Arm/Cart (have a couple of AT's and a 10x5 spare to get me going) I'll sort the Amps/Receiver (Pioneer most likely) and then the Speakers (Yammy or Wharfdale E's - a neighbour had them when I was a kid) - but I will probably end up somewhere completely different.

Thanks for all the posts/info - if someone does see something or has a deck they want to shift please let me know.

Gus

GT2000 prices are only going one way sadly and I would guess the same is true for L-07Ds. If you are tempted then Hifido are probably as good a place as any to buy from - as well as good stock they know how to package and send turntables properly. Note there are a number of GT2000 variants - the 'L' is basically the 'cooking' version with some veneer slapped on it but the 'X' is a somewhat upgraded 'table with a price to match. Then there are all sorts of accessories such as a cast-iron base, power-supply and the very rare and truly eye-wateringly expensive gun-metal platter. The lesser GT 'tables (750 and 1000) are going up more slowly but are rather less capable.
I am very likely going to be selling a P-L570 shortly but it is with a friend of mine who is currently on holiday. If you like I will send photos when I have it back (should be in the next 2-3 weeks). He was desperate to keep it but his partner has decreed it doesn't match the decor so he's keeping the PL600X I bought for him a few years back.

advertisement

Back