advertisement

Top rated Japanese turntable from 70’s ideas please

Here's my SP 10 MK2 to give you some inspiration. You've maybe already seen it, if so then sorry, I'm just so chuffed with it :D

i-QQHHHTs-XL.jpg

Ive always had an interest in hearing a Kyocera 910

b.jpg

Is the Kyocera PL-910 (Kyoto Ceramics..?) the only only turntable with a ceramic platter?
According to a post on the Fonolab Lounge site the turntable is actually a Micro Seiki design.

Other decks that would grace this discussion are:

Micro Seiki SX 8000 Mk II

Pioneer PL-90

Seiko Epsom, the Teregaki designs.

Sony PS-X9

Once again, I find it odd that Japanese turntables were not taken seriously in British audiophile circles.
This was really a local oddity, because the rest of the world knew what they were able to do. They actually sold pretty well!
I remember the 1981 Linn ad where you could see broken music notes coming from a nice Japanese DD turntable!
The fact is that no manufacturer in Europe – bar Revox and Goldmund, then Thorens and Dual – were able to make a proper DD deck that wasn’t a rebadged Japanese unit.
And those did finally use Japanese DD motor units and electronics after Papst stopped making theirs... Dual threw the towel and focused on cheap belt drives.

I find the Hitachi PS58(and the 48 and 38 too) really pretty. For some reason it reminds me, aesthetically, of a mix in between a sony ps 8750 and a Pioneer PL570. However I don't know how it compared against all the TT mentioned above but I think a 1000£ can get a very clean one + some upgrade, and it's probably up there with some real good TT.

I also find the Optonica RP3500 interesting to say the least.

tumblr_oi7812Of3o1tjv5bao1_1280.jpg

346f6b60519a76dd1c2ee03529d980f6.jpg

Is the Kyocera PL-910 (Kyoto Ceramics..?) the only only turntable with a ceramic platter?
According to a post on the Fonolab Lounge site the turntable is actually a Micro Seiki design.

Other decks that would grace this discussion are:

Micro Seiki SX 8000 Mk II

Pioneer PL-90

Seiko Epsom, the Teregaki designs.

Sony PS-X9

Much later but the Rega P7/P9/P10/Niad have Ceramic Platters.

advertisement

Back