advertisement

Top rated Japanese turntable from 70’s ideas please

Just for completeness, I’m surprised that the Pioneer (Exclusive) P3 hasn’t yet been mentioned - this was Pioneer’s effort to take the crown of ‘best turntable’. A big step up from the PL70, it sounds absolutely superb but costs mega-bucks as is rare compared to the GT2000.

This has been a revelation,

Keith
Yes, it's amazing how well an SL-10 can perform, especially if used with the MC step-up bypassed. Have you tried an SL-7 yet? In some respects, when used with the same EPC-205 or 310, it's even better than the 10, but you need to be sure that it's in good condition and that the lid locks on either side are without any damage. It's just a shame it's not quite as cool looking as the 10.

Looking around - are some of the refurbished decks getting re veneered - or are these finishes original?

IZHj44F.jpg

hExp3ti.jpg

J0emIcw.jpg

They'll be redone. The original veneer is a two layer vinyl job and the clear top layer peels and makes the deck look tatty. I resprayed mine satin black and it looked really good.

+1. The 8750 is, apparently, even better but rarely seen. Similar path to yours I've put together a retro system over the past year with the Sony PS6750 plus TA5650 V-Fet integrated and ST3950 tuner. To complete the look I'd love to get my hands on a Sony dedicated rack SU1700 but not holding out too much hope on that ever happening.
Oh really.....a SU1700 you say? Just so happens I'm restoring one now! Would you be interested?

I forgot about this thread, in the end I put the search on slow burn, one day something will drop that is perfect. Meantime I bought a Technics 1200GR and am more than happy with it.

As have I now. :)

Not cheap though, you could get a SME 20/2 for that money. However would like to hear one against a SME.

Thats the first one Ive seen for sale in a long while. Sure to be an investment based on rarity and reputation.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
@Beobloke Always more turntables in the sea. Or something :)

I'm just glad I stashed my SL-7 in the bottom of the wardrobe - the days of picking them up for £30 on Ebay seem to be long gone...

I have an SL7 in the living room system. It's very family friendly, so my 7 year old can play records easily, and it sounds great. Superb build quality too.

I have an SL7 in the living room system. It's very family friendly, so my 7 year old can play records easily, and it sounds great. Superb build quality too.

My first proper turntable. My first born used to play records on it also. 'Ghost Busters' was his favourite. Found out though, years later, that my wife was constantly heading down to Tottenham Court Road spending the child allowance on replacement stylus! That's 30+ years ago. I still have it

SL7 ........... very family friendly, so my 7 year old can play records easily

Snap. One on loan to a 93 year old father in law and another to a household with grandchildren:)

Jim

Thats the first one Ive seen for sale in a long while. Sure to be an investment based on rarity and reputation.

I was bidding on that but drew a line, it needed minor attention and the mat was shot. Fair play to the seller for being open about the condition.

advertisement

Back